ad: Flexradio-1

K3EXW, Donald Hontz - SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W3BNR, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W3BNR

W3BNR Ham Member QRZ Page

Donald Hontz

Donald K. Hontz, 93, of 638 Cypress St., Lehighton passed away June 16 at his residence. He was the husband of Marie E. Markley Hontz. They would have been married for 72 years today.

Born in Lehighton, he was the son of the late Harold and Mary Koch Hontz and the stepson of Valeria Hontz of Williamsville, New York.

Prior to his retirement, he was employed as a mechanic for ARCO petroleum.

He was a member Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, Lehigh-ton, a life member of Lehigh Fire Co. No. 1, Lehighton, and a former member of Orioles Nest No. 183.

For over 50 years, he was a HAM radio operator with the call letters K3EXW. In his spare time, Donald loved to play tennis and golf with his friends.

Surviving is his wife, stepmother, a daughter, Suzanne M., wife of Edward Aughe, of Parkesburg, Pa., a son, Ronald L. and his wife, Nancy of Easton, Pa. five grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by a half-brother, Harval Hontz.

Services: Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, June 21 at the Andrew P. Ovsak FH, 190 S. Fourth St., Lehighton, with the Rev. Robert A. von Frisch officiating. Call 10-11 a.m. Tuesday at the funeral home. Interment in Lehighton Cemetery. Memorial contributions in his name may be made to The Lehighton Fire Department, 140 South Third St., Lehigh-ton, Pa. 18235. Online condolences may be offered at www.ovsakfh.com.

Published in Lehighton (PA) Times News on June 18, 2011

2. K7MMU

K7MMU Ham Member QRZ Page

Donnie was my uncle and he inspired me to become a HAM. I was 6 years old when I came to visit him in 1956. He took me to his basement to see his "Ham shack". I thought the glowing dials and the sounds coming out of the speakers were magical. He made a number of contacts on AM and he let me talk for a minute here and there. I was hooked! I went home to California and I couldn't stop thinking about how I would become a Ham someday. I started to listen to our old Zenith radio with the shortwave bands. Late at night I could hear hams and foreign broadcast stations. When I was 8 years old, my mom took me to Henry Radio in Anaheim and we purchased a used S20-R Hallicrafters receiver for $25. I listened to that radio every chance I got. When I was 9 years old, my mom took me to a meeting of the Fullerton radio club. I found out that they had a class every Wednesday night to teach Morse code. I started listening and copying code on a WW2 paper tape code machine. In 2 months I had mastered the code. I had a neighbor one block from my house who Elmered me and gave me my Novice test- which I passed. I started operating and haven't stopped since. When I was 10 years old, I took a bus all by myself from Fullerton to Los Angeles (about 60 miles) and took the General test at the FCC office -which I passed. I have been active ever since.

I have loved Ham radio every day since my Uncle Donnie introduced me to it in 1956. He was an inspiration and a hero to me. Rest in peace!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.