ad: CQMM-1

K1MAN Fined $21K for Willful Interference

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jun 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee, that's two strikes.  I'm almost out.

It really doesn't matter how he got the call, since it isn't going to require him paying a fee to renew.  And, he won't have it (legally) much longer anyway.  I could care less whether its HA, HB, or HS (you supply the special phonetics)

And, the point is?

Cheers,

Lee
    W6EM

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No; its a 50 ohm antenna. USES COAX. NO BALUN. The SWR is about 1.6:1 in the real world.

Of course, one wonders what EDZ you are talking about: the EDZ is 1 1/4 waves; has a high complex impedance; requires twin line AND an ATU--and has almost 2 dB LESS gain.

And, the EDZ has sidelobes. The Cohen dipole does not.

So much for your definition of 'equivalent' performance... But hey! I think hams SHOULD stick with antennas made in 1938. After all, there's nothing new in antennas, right?

When a ham says that putting up two ropes is an effort, then please tear up your license.

I am very happy to have some  amateurs think there is nothing to this. Knock yourself out!

There is no pattern asymmetry in the Cohen dipole, unless you consider a fraction of a dB an 'asymmetry'..

Go build something:)

Chip N1IR

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

What stub?

I didn't forget about anything. I measured the impedance and SWR with an HP 8753D.

Silly ham....

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly why I don't deal with hams--acting as amateurs-- on antennas.

TWO--ROPES--TWO.

Use your NOGGIN' OM.

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Count'em...

TWO.

6. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

You still haven't learn to read very well. Whether its an instrument or a simple post on a thread.

I'll stand by my posting. Ridiculous lash up to hang it, with two ropes and several Cohen structures to boot.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Two ropes.

No cuts, no runs, no errors.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

In my almost 40 years of experience with antennas, hams are the only ones that say that having sidelobes gives you a superior antenna. The EDZ has gucky sidelobes.

Amazing.

The Cohen Dipole has no sidelobes. Just a skinnier 'figure 8' than a dipole.

Hey...who would possibly want that?

Enough. Hope you learned something. Frankly, I think you took your summary and worked backwards to fit the statement. Unfortunately the data doesn't back it up.
    But that's my opinion.

Forty years of antennas..hey, what do I know ;-)?

Chip N1IR

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

How dare you insinuate that my information is not accurate. Sir, you do me a disservice. Furthermore, you have not shown the very inaccuracies you claim I made.

So, what did I say that was wrong?

10. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

You, too, apparently didn't read page 13 either (where I concede that 2 ropes, one VERY long and the other a mere 1/3 wavelength would work).

Perhaps proximity effects of a Cohen structure or two or three would drop the feedpoint impedance, er, or the feedpoint insulator was a non-inductive resistor or his instrument needed calibration, assuming he operated and read its results properly.

The Chipster brought this up, and, I'm concerned with his factual contributions.  So, hence, the responses.

Conserving the amount of material necessary to construct an antenna system is important too.  Having to purchase and install upwards of 3 wavelengths worth of rope support isn't incidental.......  To do it with TWO ropes.   [​IMG]

Lee
    W6EM

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Ron,

It feeds with 50 ohms, hence '50 ohm antenna'.

Yeh, a few hams have them up, but generally, I get this nonsense about it being 'no better than what's out there', which is silly and wrong. Sometimes that comes from hams, but usually it from competitors.

New paradigms are scary, hence the effort to word-smith an advantage out of existence. Of course, if you want to use TWIN LINE, and ATU, RE-TUNE every 40 KHz, get LOWER GAIN, get WORSE F/S, and so on, then I think hams should use an 'extended double zeppelin ' antenna. They might also want to explain why they use an antenna named after a technology that died almost 70 years ago...

The F/S is higher than 18 dB. I typically get 25-30 at least.

Enjoy. I'd get it higher if possible to keep the launch angle low.

I recommend a nylon rope. You can use cable ties to keep the wire on the rope.

As for the extra rope, W6EM has metaphorically already hung himself on this one, IMO:)

Chip N1IR

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

T-W-O ropes.

S-A-M-E length.

Jeez, what the heck is your problem? You can't buy ROPE?

What about all that postage money you spend on those petitions and letters?

13. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hilarious. Now, its becoming clearer. No porcelain or glass involved for the Chipster.

That nice, clean nylon rope gets a dusting, gets dew-laiden, and voila, we have it: Nice shunt resistor with a tad of inductance thrown in. Tied off to a couple of Cohen structures, and we have it: What should be about 90 Ohms drops to 50.

CB: When you put you 15M version up, do it exactly how the Chipster suggests. No insulators, just rope to wire. But first, to emulate his results, pre-soak the rope in a concentracted NaCl and H2O bath, to simulate aging and exposure to dust and dirt, then after the installation is complete, measure the feed impedance with an antenna analyzer or noise bridge. Should be 50 Ohms or less.

Lee
    W6EM

14. K5HKG

K5HKG Ham Member QRZ Page

what are the odds that k1man pays the fine. and then gets back onthe air and does his same old tricks ?!? [​IMG]

15. KC0ADP

KC0ADP Ham Member QRZ Page

What makes you think we want him in Kansas??

John KC0ADP  [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.