ad: py7rp-1

K1FO SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by VK6ZGO, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I was looking through VK LOGGER,when I came across this:

(Quote from VK LOGGER)

K1FO SK - RIP

[​IMG]by VK4CZ » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:39 pm
    Noted author, EME'er, VHF/UHF antenna and amplifier designer and owner of Lunar-Link Systems, Steve Powlishen K1FO ("K One Far Out") became a SK on Saturday July 28.

And, whilst only a few of us would have had the chance to work or meet Steve, his antenna and amplifier designs have graced many stations in VK/ZL over the years.

The memoirs being shared on some of the EME reflectors not only describe a talented amateur, but a true gentleman who shared his passion and experience with others.

http://www.arrl.org/news/view/noted-em-qst-em-author-steve-powlishen-k1fo-sk

Another one of the 'greats' who contributed extensively to help shape our hobby has been lost.

RIP Steve.
    Last edited by VK4CZ on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Scott VK4CZ
    (Unquote)

If this news has already been posted,I apologise,but I haven't seen it elsewhere.
    I had occasion to do business with Steve,& he was a really nice,very knowledgeable person.

73,VK6ZGO

2. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sad news.

I purchased a Lunar Link 432 amp from Steve a number of years ago for my big EME station in Minnesota. What happened to the amp after I sold it is still on the internet today................KCØW's Lunar Link

I called Steve back in April, 2012 to purchase 2 meter & 432 amplifiers from him but unfortunately he didn't have any in stock & had no plans of building any more.

Steve built wonderful legal limit plus VHF/UHF amplifiers & was super knowledgeable in his field. The thing I liked best about Lunar Link products was their external/separate power supplys. Amp Supply amplifiers as well as a few other manufacturers incorporated this wonderful idea into their amp designs.

I honestly do not know of any other current USA manufacturers of legal limit VHF/UHF amplifiers without sending my money to either Bulgaria or the Czech Republic.

We will miss ya, Steve.

Tom KCØW

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm saddened by the news of Steve's death also.

I've known Steve since he was in college at Worcester Polytech and used to operate their club station a lot on 2m, while I was in high school. That was a lot of years ago. He was WA1FFO then.

Bummer.

4. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked him several times on the upper bands and drooled over the amplifiers. Will be a loss to the VHF community.

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Very sad to hear of Steve's passing, he was very active, over the years, here on the east coast on VHF/UHF. Had the pleasure of meeting Steve when I purchased a rig from him. Back in the late 70's-80's we would get together on New Years Eve for "Straight Mic Night" on 2 meters. Nice guy and a brilliant individual.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.