JS8Call for Emergency Communications

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM4ACK, Sep 27, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KM4ACK

KM4ACK Ham Member QRZ Page

WP4BRI, N5EQY, W0FW and 3 others like this.
  2. NU4R

NU4R Ham Member QRZ Page

As a once AEC & Emergency Coordinator for Orange County - Orlando, FL, this is no mode nor methodology for "emergency preparedness." FIRST OF ALL, in an emergency, the duty for an amateur radio operator on call-up IS COMMUNICATIONS! You mention, OTHER PRESSING MATTERS?!? DEBRIS CLEAN-UP?!?

Come on man!

Have YOU EVER BEEN INVOLVED IN THE LIKES OF A REAL EMERGENCY WHEREAS >>>RELIABLE<<< COMMUNICATION IS OF THE UTMOST IMPORTANCE?!? I'm thinking, due to your verbiage and hype about the likes of this, NOT TO MENTION HAVING TO TRAIN ALL THE VOLUNTEERS ON THE LIKES OF SWIFT DEPLOYMENT, RELIABLE COMMUNICATION....AND CONSTANTLY BEING ON THE SAME PAGE THROUGHOUT A DEPLOYMENT...indeed you haven't pal!

Deployment has always revolved around the premise of K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) You sir are SO FAR off the charts it's beyond imaging the chaos that would be created using your methodology.

I'm calling FAIL just the same as I did on your other QRZ video involving preparedness! In the interim, let's try and focus on what's important to get the job done for your community and NOT trying to steer folks to your PATRON scenario for YouTube.

I shutter to go to your YouTube page to see what additional "thoughts" you've presented in this arena. Although, you yourself on your qrz.com profile declared the likes of your YouTube antics as being a "MISADVENTURE." Well, my humblest opinion declares, you're SPOT ON ABOUT THAT my friend!

Nevertheless,

73 de NU4R

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    KA1BSZ, KC1BUF, K3UJ and 3 others like this.
  3. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

With the enhancements made to public safety communications systems since 2003, thanks to billions in FEMA grants, the role of amateur radio in emergencies in the USA is different than it was prior to then. Now most AR communications in an emergency is in support of NGO's, the Red Cross, and entities like schools which have not received such grants. I agree with NU4R that in support of those entities we need to KISS. Typically voice communications are what gets the job done. Yes there is room for digital stuff but not modes which most amateurs do not have and which require mega training to use effectively. You can thank the ARRL for using EMCOMM as a marketing tool raising false hopes and expectations on the part of those amateurs who have zero real world experience in terms of what responding to a disaster is all about

G3SEA, KA1BSZ, WG7X and 8 others like this.
  4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

And maybe also shudder?
    "I shudder when I have to close the shutters before a storm." :p

AJ4EM, KA1BSZ, KE5ES and 7 others like this.
  5. KF7VUT

KF7VUT Ham Member QRZ Page

@NU4R. Not sure why this offended you so badly. I didn't take the video or any of his videos in the same light as you. I believe KM4ACK is speaking of comms from a a personal standpoint where you ARE worried about clean up, looking after neighbors and all, in which case Js8 is great for that as it doesn't need the operator to be sitting at the rig to receive a message. He (I don't believe) is speaking on behalf of NGOs. They have (as you know) support levels that allow for constant voice comms. JS8 is just another tool that is great for the INDIVIDUAL operator. And also Sir, as a word of advice (which I'm sure you don't need), coming off as a total grumpy, crazy old jack ass makes more people dismiss anything you say rather try to see your view.

73 de KF7VUT

KI4VEU, N5EQY, N3VQH and 13 others like this.
  6. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the major failing and fallacy of amateur radio emcomm. We're communicators, don't ask me to do anything else except communicate. We need pictures of amateurs communicating for the ARES letter and QST. If you get activated and show up at a shelter and they ask you to do mundane things, like fold blankets because the comms are handled, are you going to take your communicator toys and go home, or are you going to pitch in and help?

You also seem to have problems with the distinction between "voluntary" and "duty". The definitions are very clear if you look them up.

KK4HPY, KA1BSZ, WG7X and 6 others like this.
  7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

@K0IDT: I like your signature, "When all else fails there's beer".
    "Beer is proof that God loves us,
    and wants us to be happy." :: burp ::
    - Ben Franklin

AJ4EM, KA1BSZ, KC7HDE and 1 other person like this.
  8. K4BJS

K4BJS Ham Member QRZ Page

I actually think JS8Call has potential. I watched a couple of videos, played around with it for 30 minutes and was making contacts... not sure if that counts as mega training requirement. I already have a radio, signa link, laptop, took me about 10 minutes to download and install the software. Wasn't difficult, I'm sure most amateur radio operators can do it. It's not perfect for amateur radio emergency communications but the core stuff is there. It kind of reminds me of the old SEDAN network (FM packet) we had in Florida, it provided similar capability.

Oh, I'm an AEC, in Florida, and I do real world disaster response.

KK4HPY, KD0QKK, AJ4EM and 3 others like this.
  9. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

If I was brought in with the understanding that I was there for communication work and then they wanted me to fold blankets, I would most definitely return to my nice warm home. But then I am a self proclaimed heartless bastard.

W1ZOT, KA1BSZ, ND6M and 3 others like this.
  10. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Where you doubtlessly would do more good than harm.

KK4HPY, KA1BSZ and WG7X like this.