JS8Call 2.0 - Multiple transmission speeds, a new multi-decoder, and typeahead functionality

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KN4CRD, Nov 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Tasty!

Huzzah!

2. KN4REE

KN4REE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Jordan,

Thanks for this new release and all of your work on JS8Call. It's my favorite mode, for good reasons.

Just wanted you to know it is appreciated!

Mike

3. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

JS8call is certainly a unique digital mode that maintains the feel of TRUE ham radio where conversations take place unlike FT8 and some of those other automated impersonal modes. But I recognize there is a place for all modes.

4. KN4CRD

Thanks Mike! I appreciate your appreciation :D

Yes, indeed! You have to use the best tool for the job. Even *I* still use the Begali key on my desk from time to time.

W4RAV likes this.
  5. KC5YSQ

KC5YSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Went to the links and read up/downloaded, going to try this new-to-me mode out, KC5YSQ in the remote desert of swTX

6. KN4CRD

Great. I'll keep an eye out for you!

7. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Can I actually type a QSO with this? If so, I am in :D
    Not giving up PSK31 though, I want to keep that mode alive ;)

8. KN4CRD

Yes, absolutely. That is the primary reason JS8Call exists...for *communication*. This is what I say in the guide:

> The open source software is designed for connecting amateur radio operators who are operating under weak signal conditions and offers real-time keyboard-to-keyboard messaging, store-and-forward messaging, and automatic station announcements.

Cheers!

9. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

New fun toys and it isn't even Christmas yet :cool:

KN4CRD likes this.
  10. KC9YGN

KC9YGN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Absolutely is used for actual conversations. It's almost as good at low signal level communications as FT8 but it is intended for actual communications, not just a brief contact exchange. Was originally limited to about 15 WPM but the new "turbo" mode boosts that up to about 40 WPM.

KN4CRD likes this.