ad: M2Ant-1

JS8Call 2.0 - Multiple transmission speeds, a new multi-decoder, and typeahead functionality

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KN4CRD, Nov 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Great. I'll keep an eye out for you!

KC5YSQ likes this.
  2. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Can I actually type a QSO with this? If so, I am in :D
    Not giving up PSK31 though, I want to keep that mode alive ;)

3. KN4CRD

Yes, absolutely. That is the primary reason JS8Call exists...for *communication*. This is what I say in the guide:

> The open source software is designed for connecting amateur radio operators who are operating under weak signal conditions and offers real-time keyboard-to-keyboard messaging, store-and-forward messaging, and automatic station announcements.

Cheers!

4. N3HGB

New fun toys and it isn't even Christmas yet :cool:

KN4CRD likes this.
  5. KC9YGN

KC9YGN QRZ Lifetime Member #750 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Absolutely is used for actual conversations. It's almost as good at low signal level communications as FT8 but it is intended for actual communications, not just a brief contact exchange. Was originally limited to about 15 WPM but the new "turbo" mode boosts that up to about 40 WPM.

KN4CRD likes this.
  6. N3HGB

Will it run decently on a Raspberry Pi 4? I am thinking of setting one up as the radio/boat computer to replace my ancient 20 year old laptop?

KN4CRD likes this.
  7. KC9YGN

KC9YGN QRZ Lifetime Member #750 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yes. There is a version specifically for the RPi

KN4CRD likes this.
  8. N5HXR

N5HXR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm a new ham, and just got on HF a couple weeks ago. Most of my QSOs have been on JS8. It was the mode I most looked forward to as I waited to get set up. Wish I was equipped for 40m, though! Need more people on 20m.

KN4CRD likes this.
  9. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Need more people on 20m."
    There were a lot of people on when it came out - they kicked the tires and tried it but not many have stuck around. I

I honestly like PSK better maybe now with TURBO mode the QSOs will be better / faster - that new release is really what was needed!

KN4CRD likes this.
  10. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you Jordan.....multiple flavours....N1MM logging.....yepp i'm sold.

i hope i've got enough tick-boxes left in my DDUtil config box to set this up ;-)

KN4CRD likes this.
  11. KN4CRD

It will! I've run it from 3B onwards. OH8STN just posted about 2.0 and in it he's running it on a Pi:

Congrats. Glad to have you aboard! Recruit some others for 20m (there's usually about 150-200 unique callsigns on 20m over the course of a day...but that's usually isolated to specific regions because of propagation...but it's improving!)

Great :) I'll keep an eye out for you on the air!

12. N5HXR

N5HXR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've also noticed that I can see someone having a QSO with someone else, but can't see the other party's messages. It always makes me think of the message relaying feature, which is really mysterious to me. It's supposed to be possible for me to route messages through the guy I can see, destined for the one I can't see, right? I think having a "proxy" QSO would be really fun one of these days.

13. KN4CRD

Yes. That's right. There are some examples in the guide. But really, it's as simple as drafting your message prefixed with the route you will take separated by the > character. If I sent:

J1Y>N5HXR HELLO JOSH

And J1Y had relay enabled, they would forward the message to you.

If you wanted to write back via the same path:

J1Y>KN4CRD QSL JORDAN

And you can chain multiple stations:

J1Y>W1AW>KN4CRD 73!

With each station relaying the message chain.

Hope this helps!

14. KN4CRD

Yes. That's right. There are some examples in the guide. But really, it's as simple as drafting your message prefixed with the route you will take separated by the > character. If I sent:

J1Y>N5HXR HELLO JOSH

And J1Y had relay enabled, they would forward the message to you.

If you wanted to write back via the same path:

J1Y>KN4CRD QSL JORDAN

And you can chain multiple stations:

J1Y>W1AW>KN4CRD 73!

With each station relaying the message chain.

Hope this helps!

15. N3HGB

That seems very interesting - kind of like APRS relaying or the old packet networks.
    Does www.pskreporter.info or some similar service pick up this traffic?