ad: M2Ant-1

JOTA/Amateur Radio Success Story

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Jan 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

N7IHZ writes "January 15, 2001

Jamboree on the Air Success Story

This past October at Jamboree on the Air held at Hooper Park, Utah I challenged the Scout groups that the first two Scouts that came to me with having successfully passed their first Amateur Radio license exam that I would honor them with some neat prizes.

Well the first Scout to get his license since JOTA has been John Westbroek of troop number 1211 from Lindon, Utah.

<TABLE>
    <TR>
    <TD>
    John has been very enthusiastic since JOTA about amateur radio and obtaining his license. He has studied and re-studied with as much interest and devotion as he also puts into Scouting. John shows much interest in whatever he becomes involved with and perseverance to continue with much dedication to enhance his skills at whatever he is involved with.

His appearance while in uniform says a great deal in itself. Being neat and having pride in what he does and what the uniform stands for definitely stands out.

There is not much doubt that what John sets out to do he will accomplish.
    </TD>
    <TD>
    [​IMG]
    </TD>
    </TR>
    </TABLE>

At the Davis County Amateur Radio club meeting held January 13, 2001 I presented John with a free one-year membership to the DCARC, a one year membership to World Radio magazine and a current repeater directory.

Now for the surprise of the day! A week after John achieved getting his amateur radio license so did his Father, Glen! That was and set the total excitement for the day. John’s amateur radio call is KD7LNC and his Dad’s is KD7LLE. Way to go fellow Scouters and future hams! It is my understanding that John’s younger brother is now interested in getting his license.

As a additional incentive for this Scout/Amateur radio father and son team I loaned them one of my handheld dual band transceiver’s, spare batteries, charger and manual so they could start learning and becoming familiar with the great hobby of amateur radio and for the experience of how neat amateur radio is and its many benefits.

John has expressed interest in attending JOTA 2001 and being an instructor on the Radio Merit Course. This is certainly good news as Scouting and Amateur Radio goes hand in hand.

I encourage Scouts and amateur radio operators to communicate with each other to support activities such as Jamboree on the Air, to learn one from another to enhance our skills in both these areas as well as all other things we get involved with in our lives.

I look forward to JOTA 2001 and another rewarding experience with amateur radio and Scouting.

Congratulations again to Glen and John Westbroek.

Gary Smith

N7IHZ

Kaysville, Utah"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.