ad: M2Ant-1

John Gendron NJ4Z is 55th Winner Of Roanoke Division Service Award

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N2COP, Feb 19, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N2COP

N2COP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

John Gendron, NJ4Z, has been named the 2022 Roanoke Division Service Award winner. The Roanoke Division Service Award is the highest and most prestigious recognition of an ARRL member operator who has shown extensive leadership in the four states of the division - North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia. First licensed as a Technician in 2016, John quickly advanced to General and Amateur Extra while simultaneously revitalizing both ARES in his area and the York County Amateur Radio Society (YCARS) in Rock Hill, South Carolina. The September 2022 issue of QST featured a story on the efforts John spearheaded in reinvigorating the YCARS club. He also has a YouTube channel called "From The Hamshack". Active in Parks On The Air (POTA), John can often be found activating Carolina parks, and when he’s in his shack he’s an avid DX chaser.

John is the 55th winner of the award, which began in 1968 and is bestowed annually. Judges for the award are past recipients of the accolade. The award is also nicknamed the "Vic Clark" Award after one of the original winners, Vic Clark, W4KFC (SK), who was Roanoke Division Director and later ARRL President. The list of all 55 winners as well as a history of the award can be found on the Roanoke Division’s website at: www.arrl-roanoke.com . Nominations for the 2023 Roanoke Division Service Award to name the 56th recipient will open in January, 2024. Gendron John NJ4Z.jpg

M7XCB, PD7V, VK5FUSE and 8 others like this.
  2. KM4ZXD

KM4ZXD Ham Member QRZ Page

Much deserved

K9CTB and NJ4Z like this.
  3. W6FRD

W6FRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulation’s on the hard work in achieving those awards. W6FRD.

K9CTB, VK5LKJ and NJ4Z like this.
  4. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well deserved recognition for John Gendron, NJ4Z. I first "met" John while he was activating a POTA park on St. John, US Virgin Islands and while I was operating portably with my father, WA1YOA, in Virginia. I appreciated John's thoughtful and persistent efforts to make our QSO happen as it reflected so positively on the hobby my dad and I had shared back in the '70s. John has since introduced me to YCARS and a number of hams that have been helpful to my reentry into the hobby.

K9CTB, KY4GJ and NJ4Z like this.
  5. KY4GJ

KY4GJ Ham Member QRZ Page

WAY TO GO JOHN! Thanks for ALL you do to represent our club and our hobby! Well Deserved!

K9CTB, NJ4Z and W1DED like this.
  6. M0MCX

M0MCX Ham Member QRZ Page

First Class John..!

K9CTB and NJ4Z like this.
  7. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done, sir!!! (in US Navy parlance, it's "Bravo Zulu!")

NJ4Z likes this.
  8. KD5KCV

KD5KCV Ham Member QRZ Page

congrats!

NJ4Z likes this.
  9. WX4CB

WX4CB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good on ya john

Charlie WX4CB

NJ4Z likes this.
  10. KB9T

KB9T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations, John. Quite an accomplishment in so short a time. Well done. Well deserved.

NJ4Z likes this.
  11. K4PIT

K4PIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations John, well deserved!

NJ4Z likes this.
  12. KN4MWD

KN4MWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations, John

NJ4Z likes this.
  13. KN4SQZ

KN4SQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations John! Hope you and the club are doing well! I'll have to stop by YCARS again next time I come to visit SC.

- Jacob Van Wie
    KN4SQZ

NJ4Z likes this.
  14. W4ACW

W4ACW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations John! Well deserved.

NJ4Z likes this.
  15. AA4NE

AA4NE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations Mr. Gendron

NJ4Z likes this.