ad: M2Ant-1

Japan Ham Fair 2002

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 7J1AJH, Aug 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. 7J1AJH

7J1AJH Ham Member QRZ Page

The 2002 edition of the Japan Ham Fair was held in Tokyo this
    weekend.  Attendance appeared to be up this year as the show
    returned to Tokyo from Yokohama, but admittedly it has shrunk
    from a three day event to only two.

Some of the things featured at the show included:

- Icom IC-703 QRP rig, which looks similar to an IC-706 but is a 10W rig with a built-in automatic antenna tuner

- WiRES Internet repeater linking system from Standard

- Kenwood featured their APRS features, and the remote control capabilities of the TS-2000

- lots of antennas and accessories tailored for QRP and portable
    operation (including W3FF selling his Buddipole)

There were still no FT-897s for sale, but there were several at the
    Standard booth, including one with the bottom removed to show
    the twin internal battery packs.  There were good prices on many
    new rigs, but surprisingly the prices of used equipment
    seemed up slightly.

My 2002 Ham Fair Photo Log

Jim 7J1AJH/AI8A
    Tokyo

2. JJ1BDX

JJ1BDX Ham Member QRZ Page

While the entire ham radio community in Japan is inevitably shrinking, at least the Ham Fair has still been kept up and running. Amazing, isn't it?

BTW I've heard a Force12 executive made a speech in Tokyo Big Site. I'd appreciate if any info is available.

Also I've also heard that an ARRL DXCC Field Checker came to Japan and performed his job for many DXers. How was it?

73 es FB DX
    Kenji Rikitake, JJ1BDX/3 - never made himself for Ham Fair this year

3. 7J1AJH

7J1AJH Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (JJ1BDX @ Aug. 27 2002,08:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">While the entire ham radio community in Japan is inevitably shrinking, at least the Ham Fair has still been kept up and running.  Amazing, isn't it?

BTW I've heard a Force12 executive made a speech in Tokyo Big Site. I'd appreciate if any info is available.

Also I've also heard that an ARRL DXCC Field Checker came to Japan and performed his job for many DXers.   How was it?

73 es FB DX
    Kenji Rikitake, JJ1BDX/3 - never made himself for Ham Fair this year[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BTW I've heard a Force12 executive made a speech in Tokyo Big Site.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I believe one of the guys from the very successful Team Vertical described their QRP operation.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also I've also heard that an ARRL DXCC Field Checker came to Japan and performed his job for many DXers.   How was it?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, every year the field checker seems pretty popular with a steady stream of applicants.  This year there was also someone checking IOTA cards.

73, Jim 7J1AJH/AI8A
     Tokyo

4. JH5ESM

JH5ESM Ham Member QRZ Page

I was invited to the event as a lecturer on ``Campaign against Power Line Communication using HF Bands.''
    That's one of the hottest topics.
    See http://www.qsl.net/jh5esm/ for presentation material.

As Jim wrote previously, DXCC and IOTA officers came to the fair, and another presentation on QRP operation was performed.
    I did not went to those events (because I was at the JARL Lab. Desk all the days&#33[​IMG], but many hams enjoyed them.

ICOM's 703 looks like 706, but it contains automatic antenna tuner and batteries.
    It will be a wonderful rig for field operation.

Cosy, JH5ESM

5. N7YG

N7YG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Jim
    Thanks for the update. I attended this wonderful event every year during my posting at Yokota AB from 1994 to 1998. While I did get lost driving to the Big Site one year, I did master the trains the following year.

Just wish I could make Dayton some year to compare.

Jeff N7YG (ex 7J1AUO)

6. VR2IO

VR2IO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.