ad: M2Ant-1

James Blackmore SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by N7DIC, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N7DIC

N7DIC Ham Member QRZ Page

James Blackmore, W6KCF, passed away in Prescott, Arizona this past weekend.
    James was a former B-17 pilot with 44 missions over Europe while it was unfriendly.
    He hadn't been on the air lately as his health declined.

2. N7NGM

N7NGM Ham Member QRZ Page

Passing of a good ham friend

I met Jim several years ago and it was he who sold me my first true HF radio, a Yaesu 757 GX II with which I have made several contacts with. I will miss hearing his 'cherry-o' when signing off from a radio contact. Thank you Jim for being a good radio friend and I wish the best for you and your family.

Rex Mauldin
    N7NGM

3. N8BIB

N8BIB Ham Member QRZ Page

IT IS SAD TO HEAR ABOUT A HERO WHO WAS FLYING THE B-17 IN THE WAR AND MAKING IT BACK SAFETY AFTER 44 MISSIONS, IN THE PASS I HAVE MAKE FLIGHTS TO AIR SHOWS IN A B-17, B-25, I HAVE MET MANY, MEN FROM WWII, AND HAVE COLLECTED SOME OF THE STUFFS, MAN BEING A PILOT OF A B-17 BOMBER AND RADIO AMATEUR OPERATER ALWAYS HAS A PLACE IN MY HEART,

FRANK A NAGY N8BIB

4. GW4SWW

GW4SWW Ham Member QRZ Page

A true Hero

I never worked him on radio and never knew him at all, but I'm sure he ranks with all the other US airmen, thousands of whom lost their lives, true Hero's all, gone but not forgotten.
    RIP old mate, you earned it.

5. K6SRD

K6SRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thankful for those like this man....

I thank God for people like him who were willing to risk it all and give the ultimate sacrifice that I might be free and be able to write this. Thank you Mr Blackmore... RIP

6. N9PTG

N9PTG Ham Member QRZ Page

So long, Blackie...

I grew up in Bloomfield, Indiana, where Jim was an insurance agent. He had an office on the corner of Main and Judge streets with another fellow, Danny Axe. As a teenager, I became interested in Ham radio, and one day Jim asked me if I would like to go to his house and see what Ham Radio was like. I was thrilled, not only because of the radio part, but because Jim had a brand new 1955 black Ford Thunderbird that he took me in. His shack, as I remember, was in an old 2 story house in the south part of Bloomfield, up on a hill. That was a day I have never forgotten.

I remember we didn't get much on the radio that day, but I remember the gear, and I seem to remember an old callsign, W9TGZ(?). He was a great guy, a local hero. I saw him at the funeral home in Bloomfield during a viewing about 7-8 years ago, and told him that I finally got my license! Jim was always upbeat, and good for a laugh. I enjoyed knowing him, and appreciate him giving me my first exposure to Ham Radio. Thanks, Jim, wherever you are - Godspeed...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.