ad: UR5CDXcom-1

Jamaica - No more Morse code for radio operators, technicians

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1SAR, Jun 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
  1. W4HM

W4HM Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in the U.S. 60 meters is kind of a mess with channelization, and now soon to be a very narrow continuous band allocation with low power, with both allocations in force together or possibly the old one going bye bye. But it doesn't stop me from operating on 5357 kHz every night on the JT65A and JT9 digital modes, with 5-30 watts depending on band conditions.

I'm also for quality over quantity. I'm a very active ham on 160-2 meters on virtually all existing modes and can testify that the ham bands are virtually empty compared to 5 to 10 years ago and almost totally empty compared to say 20-25 years ago. Most of the really active and really knowledgeable hams are SK now and they leave behind many appliance operators with poor a knowledge of electricity, electronics, antennas, radio wave propagation, operating procedures, civil behavior and appreciation and respect for the hobby and themselves.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I hear more and more operators with poor audio quality saying S10, 10-4 and good buddy. It's really sad. And the same thing has happened everywhere in our culture and society, incompetence and mediocrity is now the norm.

N3AB and KF4ZKU like this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Jamaica - No more Morse code for radio operators, technicians

Did not read all the posts some seemed to go off topic nothing new however hardly seems much of an issue in a country with a total of 84 hams.
    http://www.n0hr.com/ham_radio_population.htm

3. N4RMK

N4RMK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You didn't catch my point there. I was saying that I was busy and acknowledged that I didn't have time to learn code or play radio, so I didn't. That said, tell me what you deem to be the appropriate minimum amount of time to spend on the radio. How many hours per week? Any less than that makes you a lousy operator who has no business working the bands at all?

You also seem to make it sound as if learning code is a quick and easy task that anyone should be able to pick up without a problem. Yet, if you look at virtually any material discussing how to learn code, it says you should treat it like learning a foreign language and that can take years to do. Do you really expect that people, especially in today's world, should put in years of time learning CW before ever touching a radio? I hear a lot of grumbling in amateur radio how clubs seem to be populated primarily by old guys and very few young operators. Tell me where people who are going to school, working, probably pulling in overtime or working two jobs, raising kids, etc., are supposed to have unlimited time and money to invest in a HOBBY?

4. AI0T

AI0T Ham Member QRZ Page

It was fun when I had to learn 5 wpm for a novice ticket in the 80's, which I did nothing with. And now it is great fun to already have all my tickets and be an operating ham, while I practice code whenever I get to it. CW is still cool, although difficult for me, but I would have missed a couple years of being a ham if it was still a requirement to get started. The current rules work well for me.

5. WD8CYV

WD8CYV Ham Member QRZ Page

Morse code and incentive licensing delayed my entry in to ham radio by at least 15 years
    and incentive licensing was a bigger mistake than keeping the code so long ....
    the only FCC tests i had trouble passing was code i did pass the 13 though then ran rtty almost 20 years
    Dave wd8cyv

6. LU9FMS

LU9FMS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, that's a weird thing. I don't think CW is obsolete at all- it's just that there are many other tools and resources that people use nowadays. But hey! It is still useful to know a little bit of CW, though. :)

KF4ZKU and N4NYK like this.
  7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Me too. It was hard to slow down to 13 wpm. When I went to the FCC office for the General Class exam, I was one of several who were there to take the 13 wpm exam (one minute straight, letter-for-letter perfect). One fellow was there for his Extra Class exam, and the examiner cranked the machine up for him first. I flipped my paper over and easily copied 20 wpm. It didn't count 'cuz I was a Novice, and they wouldn't let you test for Extra 'til you'd been a General or higher for at least a year.

8. KJ4YDW

KJ4YDW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That is not true as I am on the bands from time to time.

9. KA7FTP

KA7FTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you sure you are dyslexic? Dyslexia is lack of phonemic awareness. Dislexics are visual thinkers. I also happen to be very auditory. The part of the brain that processes language is underdeveloped in dyslexics. When I was young they were not even aware of the condition. I learned morse code very easily when I was a teen ager, but have an impossible time with the written test. Later when we had a family one of my daughters was diagnosed with dyslexia. At that point it became clear what I had struggled with.

This article may help.

https://www.dyslexia.com/about-dyslexia/dyslexic-talents/the-visual-spatial-learner/

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A former boss used to say he is "lysdexic". :p