ad: cq2k-1

Jamaica - No more Morse code for radio operators, technicians

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1SAR, Jun 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The license classes aren't there to be "tough", they are there to ensure that the licensee has the minimum required knowledge to be an acceptable control operator. I'm sure that the FCC or others could devise a test that could only be passed by 1% of the current ham population, but what would that accomplish?

You could study up and pass the extra. Then do some study and pass all of the commercial FCC exams if you want some more challenge.

KR3DX likes this.
  2. W6MQI

W6MQI Ham Member QRZ Page

From the looks of your station you do appear to be a high end appliance operator so I guess purchasing a CW machine would fit right in. Good luck with that CW machine in heavy QSB or other marginal conditions. I can always tell when someone is using a machine to copy CW especially when I change it up with the bug, or hand key with funky word or letter spacing weeds those cheaters out everytime.

W5BIB likes this.
  3. VE7VG

VE7VG Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish more countries would consider they way we do it in Canada. CW is no longer a requirement but is an optional endorsement. Obtaining the CW endorsement is one of three methods available to access the HF bands. For some of us CW is still the preferred method of HF communication. But besides that, it is still extremely useful for emergencies since a CW tone can be generated, if necessary, by touching two bare wires together. As mainly a CW operator, I was initially not happy with the growing popular opinion that it should be eliminated. I still don't think it should be completely eliminated but I can understand making it optional. Since hams are often called in to provide emergency communications, it would seem to make sense that any extra communication skills would be considered an asset. Of course, not all hams are interested or able to assist in emergencies. That is the beauty of our hobby, it is many different things to many different people. Embrace the things you are interested in and don't begrudge others that do not share the same interests. 73... Darren VE7VG / KL7VG

VE3OIJ, W5BIB, N3AB and 2 others like this.
  4. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Communication via Morse Code can also occur via hand signals, flashing lights, reflecting the sun with a small mirror, etc.

The only caveat is finding someone else who can copy M.C. on a moment's notice. That's the challenge.

Having a separate Morse Code endorsement is a magnificent idea. Some ops would learn the skill just to have that on their license.

W5BIB likes this.
  5. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The World has finally come to an end.

6. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

That's what Field Day is supposed to prep us for. See assorted posts on topic...

7. KD5SMF

KD5SMF Ham Member QRZ Page

The worst part of this is the photo of the Straight Key... It's way, way, out of calibration for comfortable sending. A straight key should be adjusted so that the gap between the contacts are no more than 3/16th of an inch & can be adjusted for the user. I have my key adjusted so that the gap is no more than the thickness of two sheets of paper. My advise to the Admin who posted the story is to use a photo that has a key that is set up correctly, and not some Goober Job that doesn't know how to use a key let alone set up one properly!

8. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

So, requiring a CW test will make everyone into an A-1 operator? How about all of the lids that I hear that have been hams since the stone age, they had to pass a CW test and it hasn't made them good ops. CW is not the necessity that it was back in the early days of radio, get over it. There is nothing wrong with operating CW, but a prospective ham shouldn't be required to learn it any more than he should be required to learn a foreign language to operate on phone.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    VE3OIJ likes this.
  9. VE3OIJ

VE3OIJ QRZ Lifetime Member #42 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Although all educated people should speak a second language :)

WA7PRC likes this.
  10. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Vielen Dank fur die Blumen.

VE3OIJ likes this.
  11. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well OB, considering what I'd gone thru to get the then "New Advanced License" when the ARRL in CAHOOTS with the FCC (RE-INTRODUCED) INCENTIVE LICENSING IN 1968 I was happy with that but wasn't going to give them (FCC) anymore!!! I'm PERFECTLY "HAPPY" with my "WELL-EARNED ADVANCED CLASS" and have NOT needed the SO-CALLED NO-CODE EXTRA!!! I've almost attained "DXCC (MIXED) HONOR-ROLL" WITHOUT THE NEW WIMPY "EXTRA"!!! Both on CW & PHONE, so WHO NEEDS THE LOWER 25KHZ!!! And besides haven't you found on the LOWER 25KHZ A LACK OF USAGE??? I'm speaking of DAILY USAGE, your "EXTRA "ACTIVITY AIN'T THERE OB!!!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
    N3AB likes this.
  12. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm glad you are satisfied with having the second highest class of amateur license, a lot of people are happy with technician and general as well.

But why complain about a license that you can't or won't obtain? I can see you being satisfied with what you have, but it seems a little strange that you complain about others not using their full spectrum, when you could be there using it with just a little effort on your part.

KA0HCP likes this.
  13. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

RIGHT ON DAVE!!! :) It seems as if these "Non-CODE APPRECIATORS " still DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT INTL MORSE IS USED BY "THOUSANDS" INTERNATIONALLY!!! So for ANY individual to say that (CW) is a "ARCHAIC MODE" have something up their "YOU KNOW WHATS"!!! It's a "HOBBY" AND all modes currently USED CAN BE CONSIDERED "OLD-FASHIONED", THEY ARE!!! But we continue to USE THEM BECAUSE WE "ENJOY THEM" AND WE'RE GOOD @ USING THEM!!!

N3AB likes this.
  14. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

No need of code regardless of what anyone thinks. Its outdated and useless. Some people have better things to do than take 15 minutes for a 2 minute conversation. Just runs people away from Amateur Radio

ND6M and KR3DX like this.
  15. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

How many operators use MC vs All the other modes. Very Very Few. But, your right, its a hobby. Use what ever mode you enjoy. So all the "ewww you dont know code" folks need to just shut up about it.