ad: CQMM-1

Is YI1BGD Active

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VU2NTT, Mar 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5KRM

W5KRM Guest

Baghdad, Bagdad, whatever.

Bottom line is: If you hear something signing YI1BGD or anything else for that matter, work it first, worry about it later. What difference does it make?

Kinda like the chap working a odd prefix through the pile up, and then asks, what is your QSL route followed by "what is your callsign". Hi.

Wouldn't be the first time a "slim" shows up when attentions are there.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG] hmmmm...maybe "slim" meaning slime?

3. VK2BVS

VK2BVS Ham Member QRZ Page

Regarding my comment-
    "People in Iraq have been taught to hate."

IT HAS BEEN CORRECTLY BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION THAT I AM REACTING TO WHAT IS SHOWN ON TV of Iraqi demonstrations against  Israel, Kuwait and the USA.

These demonstrations of hate existed years before this war started.

I accept that MOST PEOPLE WORLDWIDE INCLUDING IRAQ are kind when you are kind to them and that is why I always enjoy meeting and helping people. I dont want my post to be anti anyone.

Thanks very much for the feedback. Without it others may also misunderstand its intent.
    I am happy to have the chance to put these comments before my original post below:

THE ORIGINAL POST WAS-

People in Iraq have been taught to hate.

Ham radio is uniquely placed to remove that hate.

Iraqi kids in future public school ham radio clubs will learn that anyone can reply to a CQ call.

They will tell their parents what ham radio is and about on air talks with Arabic speaking children in the USA, UK, Australia, Israel, Palestine, Kuwait etc.

To undo the hate is a great challenge.

Ham radio can, through the kids, play a great role to bring understanding between people in conflict who have neither meet face to face or ever communicated.

My Webpage

........I received your repy to the above
    Very happy to get your message.
    It shows how great this qrz dialogue is.
    Its easy to say anything and not know the unintended effect it has.
    I am very greatful to make more clear my meanings.
    Your help to the Iraq people is excellent and gives you a real sensitivity and understanding.
    Very glad you helped me on track.
    73...Sam VK2BVS

My Webpage

4. W8QF

W8QF Guest

An ARRL report said YI1BGD club station was reported dismanteled and placed in a safe place ( if there is one ) prior to the invasion of Iraq.So I would belive it safe to sumise that what was heard was a piriate station.More info is avalible at www.arrl.org .Dave, AE8U

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I have just been reading the various posts submitted concerning the validity or otherwise of the Iraqi club station making a call to the European DX Net and I have to conclude that hoax or genuine it doesn't matter. After all, it's small beer compared to what is really happening in Iraq.

I hope and pray that, that country and it's people will very soon be free again, to live, love and carry on their lives and hobbies (incluing ham radio) unimpeded.

Whilst I am writing, could I just refer back to to the posting made by Jonathan W9WHE on March 28th 2003.

Jonathan, refers to the Americans rescuing Europe from the Nazis. No one, least of all me, would dispute the very great part the US played in that war. As someone who lived through it I am grateful for that part. But please, please, let us not forget the part played by British forces too, in Europe, North Africa and the Far East.

We fought side by side then, just as we are doing now. Companions in honour and liberation, just as it should be.

There, Iv'e had my say! No offence intended Jonathan.

73 to you, and lets hope that YI hams will soon again be able to enjoy their ham radio along with the rest of us.

6. 4N1DX

4N1DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hm...

YI1BGD had great tradition and a lot's of hams worked from htere... YU operators first learned Iraqi's about ham radio, and first QSLs are printed in (ex) Yugoslavia...

A war is a great sh..

Peace to all

Zik DL/VE3ZIK, 4N1DX

7. W6ECE

W6ECE Ham Member QRZ Page

The Hams In Iraq are having a BLAST.

8. W5KRM

W5KRM Guest

But seriously though, what is the big excitement about YI1 being on the air (or not being on the air)?
    Most of us have worked it; it isn't anything anymore exciting then working an "OD", "YK", etc. It is just "DX", that is, if it is "real" and not a slim as some have thought. The jesting about dropping a bomb on them is tongue in cheek, but then again, some can't see the forest for the trees. Another problem.

I don't get excited about a station being on from a country currently undergoing a war scenario. In fact, I wonder why they get on at all?

To sum it up, you can always work it first and worry about it later. Someday, you might actually get a "real" QSL card from someone or something you thought was just a pirate operation/operator!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.