ad: Retevis-1

Is YI1BGD Active

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VU2NTT, Mar 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. VU2NTT

VU2NTT Ham Member QRZ Page

The European DX Net started by its net controller Anna Maria, I0MPF at 1530UTC on 14.242MHz on Wed 26 March 2003. The DX stations for the net on the frequency were Neeraj,VU2NTT; Roy,DU9/G4UNL and Sasi,9V1SM. At about 1720UTC when the net controller I0MPF was collecting European stations for the list there was a call from YI1BGD who repeated the call twice. The European DX Net Controller, Anna Maria, I0MPF stopped collecting the stations for the list and reconfirmed the call sign. I0MPF then enquired about the name of the operator's name to which there was no response. The station kept on saying "...the situation is terrible...very bad condition..' in Arabic/Middle Eastern accent.The net controller had to say that it seemed that somebody was playing a joke and that if it was a genuine Call then it was not the best of times for a normal QSO. The station gave its call sign again and kept on repeating "...the situation is terrible...very bad condition..' for about five-six minutes before fading out. The net continued normally thereafter

Was the call really from YI1BGD? Is the club station with the that Call Sign really active in such unsettled times? [​IMG]

2. AH7E

AH7E Ham Member QRZ Page

YI1BGD is a valid call, QSL via YI1DZ per information on the database. It just doesn't give specific information on the name of the licensee, or if it's a club station, however.

3. KA1DWX

KA1DWX Ham Member QRZ Page

This response is second hand - I was informed that YI1BGD is operated by an employee of a European Government and the implication was that it may be an embassy call - He/she was quite active 2 to 3 weeks ago. Don Durk, ka1dwx

4. W5KRM

W5KRM Guest

Poor timing for a sick joke, but then again, look at the BS that Bagdad is putting out on television and radio. A person would have to be a complete idiot to believe the rhetoric being spewed out that any educated person would recognize as a desperate attempt to drum up sympathy over false statements.

If the station was in fact YI1BGD, then I would highly recommend they either stay off the air, which is what normally occurs during a war scenario, or else, continue operating, full power, so that a HARM missle can locate them amongst all the TOI's.

5. K8CPA

K8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I seriously doubt there is anyone active in IRAQ...

-Chuck

P.S. Earlier this week someone gave a spot for a YI-Station on 30 Meters CW... another false alarm...

6. W8BCJ

W8BCJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a QSL from YI1BGD for a June, 2001 contact. The routing was via Diya, YI1DZ; the label had the text "Tnx QSO, very 73 Hasan".

Ron K9UVK

7. W9WHE

W9WHE Ham Member QRZ Page

Seperate fact from speculation.

The propaganda war is in overdrive. Anybody, anywhere could have spewed the call. The liberal media is spurring agitators and spinning the truth all in order to overturn the results of the election....so suppress your Ham instincts that every transmission is legitimate.

Most importantly.....help IS on the way for the Iraqi people. Just as Americans rescued Europe form a terible despot, so shall we do for the Iraqi people. Despite CNN!

8. W6TH

W6TH Guest

Is YI1BGD Active ?
    Doesn't interest me in the least. I look forward to Iraq being a freedom country shortly and more hamming from "BAD-DAD", Iraq, in the near future.

73,  de  ex freedom soldier

9. DF1PAW

DF1PAW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi!

You should visit the OM2DX Homepage where you'll find informations about his YI1BGD activities.
    I had a 12 m band QSO with him on January 31st this year and just received his QSL.

Yours,
    Andreas Weller, DF1PAW

10. N5PHT

N5PHT Ham Member QRZ Page

The op would have to have turned his beam to dodge the bombs...

Regarding the call, I suspect that many people have used that call through the years. My YI1BGD qsl card says the op was Gunter - DF3NZ. That was in 1992 though.

Hopefully Iraq qsos will once again be heard soon.

73 de N5PHT, Gary

11. DL4OK

DL4OK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yesterday 9K2ZZ called CQ.
    YI1BGD answerd 2 or 3 times, but 9K2ZZ does not worked him!

12. VK2BVS

VK2BVS Ham Member QRZ Page

People in Iraq have been taught to hate.

Ham radio is uniquely placed to remove that hate.

Iraqi kids in future public school ham radio clubs will learn that anyone can reply to a CQ call.

They will tell their parents what ham radio is and about on air talks with Arabic speaking children in the USA, UK, Australia, Israel, Palestine, Kuwait etc.

To undo the hate is a great challenge.

Ham radio can, through the kids, play a great role to bring understanding between people in conflict who have neither meet face to face or ever communicated.

My Webpage

13. OM2DX

OM2DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello ... I am Mike and I was the operator of YI1BGD few weeks ago. I can tell you that it was most probably not real YI1BGD joining the net because in the radioclub in Baghdad there are no good antennas, PA is broken and only tcvr is FT757GX. Only active ham there is now Diya YI1DZ and I don't think he has a time to operate now. So 73 and hope to hear me soon again from YI1BGD.
    from Mike OM2DX, now YO/OM2DX Bucharest,Romania

www.qsl.net/om2dx

14. W5KRM

W5KRM Guest

I don't really see that it matters whether the YI1 is "real" or not. Most DXers have worked it already and to have it on now, would be a bit odd, but nothing exciting.

To the other extreme, there are odd balls that will slim anything from a P5 to a YI1, so WFWL as they always say.

Personally, if I were an op there, I certainly wouldn't be on the air with the current situation going on.
    One can only hope for a near term end to the situation and a removal from power of a very evil regime who has for years, denied it's people an open voice and decent life.

9/11 brought that home to us unfortunately. It is sad it took that to wake up this sleeping giant!

73 and keep those QSL's coming!

15. AH6HY

AH6HY Ham Member QRZ Page

I love the scenario of a British solider wandering into the YI1BGD club station building by mistake.  Quite a feat since coalition forces aren't anywhere near the city yet.  This hypothetical British serviceman must really have taken a wrong turn somewhere.  And of course Saddam Hussein's forces would have no problem letting him transmit.  C'mon guys, this is one of the lamest jokes I've seen in a while.  Personally I can't believe anyone fell for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.