ad: wmr-1

Is it Worth Building a SMALL Contest/DX Station?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Jan 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. 9A5O

9A5O Ham Member QRZ Page

WG7X, well put, exactly my thoughts!

2. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

What if you’re having fun while Doing Ham Radio Wrong™️? Isn’t it the moral obligation of every stranger on the internet to inform you (or at least ridicule you)? ;)

K4FMH, G3ZPF, W9FL and 1 other person like this.
  3. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

FWIW, when I click on the link I get a screen with ICQPodcast overlying a gold microphone and a cursor at the bottom that reveals it is 1 hour and 35 mins long. There are no "markers" or anything indicating what is at what point of the podcast. I don't know if my browser just shows things differently or what but there is no way I can do what you mention above. I've tried 3 different browsers with all the same result. I would have to scroll through and listen at various points and hope I hit it at just the right time. Again, at 1 hour and 35 mins, that just ain't gonna happen. So my question still stands and I think it was reasonable based on my experience with the podcast.

...............Bob

KR3DX likes this.
  4. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

usually small refers to the investment. Some contest stations are close to or more than 7 figures.

KF4ZKU and N7XCZ like this.
  5. AF4RK

So i have an icom 7300 and an alpha 86 . What Am I, a micro station? Your definition is ridiculous. A lot of hams get on with 100 watts and a wire. This is why contesting gets a bad rap. Because of the elitist attitudes. Most of us will never win anything. We get in the contest to have fun and hand out a few Q's You could at least say thanks to all of us "micro" stations who build your score

KF4ZKU, N7XCZ and SV2HZF like this.
  6. SE3X

SE3X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Naa .. without my cw keyer I would not have much fun .. Permission to add it to the set-up? Sir!

7. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, of course!

WW2PT likes this.
  8. ZL2CQ

ZL2CQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Nicely put Gary,
    Accept what you have, where you are. The effort is proportionate to the return, very surprising most times.
    My setup is residential these days, various dipole experiments, settled with what works best for where I am located.
    Inverted V with apex @ 14m. (45 feet) 40m. above sea level. < http://zl2cq.weebly.com/ >
    Auto CQ Tx is really good with these conditions - throat / voice-wise.
    Modulated audio @ 90% max of ALC - EQ set at slightly "Hi" than chat mode.
    To break into a popular station is very difficult with 100w.
    Single Band can be very rewarding - "low power with strong audio" is the limiting factor, but it works.
    Even my K3 / Ten-Tec 411 in a Hi Power Section single Band is pretty good fun - especially the Certificate surprise later.
    Tip : pre HF SSB activity put something up on the Cluster, down here in the Pacific we get starved for contacts.
    Its all out there but the Transceiver needs to be turned on ...............
    73, enjoy
    Paul ZL2CQ

KF4ZKU likes this.
  9. AF4RK

That's a nice setup! I always look for ZL2 in a contest. Always a treat to get that multiplier. Thanks for handing out some DX multipliers!

10. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My station is puny compared to most contest stations but I still have quite a few first place Nevada section ARRL and CQ awards I even have a Big Gun Contest station close to my qth the Comstock memorial station W7RN is less than 10 miles away. I can always count on them for my Nevada multiplier though
    Hi Hi

W4LJ likes this.
  11. N7JI

N7JI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the "contest" station I have. I have no desire or space to assemble or maintain a $25,000 station. I like my contest station...which is also my "everything else" station.

I sometimes wish it were more potent.

A small part of me wishes for a tower and beam, or five towers and stacked 6 over 6 over 6 monoband yagis on 20, or stacked 4 over 4 elements on 40 meters.

The larger part of me sees putting kids through college and mortgage payments.

I know I will never compete with the big guns, but on the rare occasion that I manage to, I am amazed and remember them well.

Breaking a pileup with 20 watts and a dipole is especially sweet. Skill and persistence (and a little luck) over brute force is especially memorable.

KF4ZKU and N2RIC like this.
  12. VA3GET

VA3GET Ham Member QRZ Page

13. VA3GET

VA3GET Ham Member QRZ Page

to me small is 100 watts & a wire.

KF4ZKU likes this.
  14. SQ5EBM

SQ5EBM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, i considered my station in Warsaw a small one (till mid 2016). The one i have now, in my suburban QTH is still small compared to top contesters. Is building a small contest station worth the effort? Check out some of my results on my qrz http://qrz.com/db/sq5ebm
    Build it, run it, learn, expand. Have fun. At some point it all boils down to $$$ and your will.
    73 de SQ5EBM / SN5V / SN25EBM
    Maciej "Miles" Muszalski

15. WJ2L

WJ2L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Having fun may not require having the best station. To some, that may require a state of the art build out of your station. To others just turning in a record with some note worthy call, some exotic and others inspiring for one or another reason. Winning while indeed richly appreciated, does not have to loose the enjoyment of all those things which hams enjoy. I am not competitive, thats not so much fun. But exotic calls counted, that is enormously gratifying.