ad: elecraft

Introducing 'Ham Radio Now' from ARVN. Episodes 1 and 2 now on-line

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K4AAQ, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham_Radio_Now_600.png

Gary Pearce KN4AQ (ok, that's me, writing about myself in the third person), producer of the Amateur Radio//Video News series of documentaries and seminar programs on DVD, has launched a new on-line ham radio television program series titled Ham Radio Now. The series will be available free-to-watch via YouTube at www.HamRadioNow.TV. I'm requesting a voluntary contribution from viewers who find the programs worthwhile, similar to my request for the TAPR DCC videos I released around the first of the year.

Episode One is an introduction to the series, followed by a tour of the Orlando HamCation, possibly the second-largest hamfest in the US.

Episode Two is actually 11 interviews with top manufacturer's reps (or owners) at Yaesu, ICOM, Flex, Elecraft, WinRADIO, RemoteShack and LTA Inflatable Towers. These aren't the usual 45-second product introductions. These interviews run from 15 to 30 minutes and go in depth, not only on the products, but also the technology behind them.

The Yaesu and ICOM interviews go into some important topics, including Yaesu's announcement to enter the Digital Voice market with a radio line that is not D-STAR, and the situation the new 60 meters rules present to owners of various radio models.

I also have a nearly hour-long talk with Rich Moseson W2VU, editor of CQ Magazine. We discuss the state of CW, now five years after the FCC eliminated CW as a license requirement; the new digital editions of CQ's family of magazines; and the future of video production in Amateur Radio (Rich is a former television producer, and his first project for CQ in the early 90's was a series of 'Intro-to' videos released on VHS.

And I talk to Lou McFadin W5DID at the AMSAT booth for about 20 minutes. We talk mostly about the ARISSat-1 project (the Velcro Satellite... watch the video to see why) while standing in front of a working model of the satellite. But we also range into other AMSAT topics, and I manage to insult astronauts in general, Russian astronauts in particular, and the government, while Lou stands helplessly by, edging a little farther away.

Finally, Mark Poziomek W4POZ gives me an in-depth tour of one of the Red Cross ECRV's (Emergency Response Communications Vehicles), and Robert Young NC4RY has a quick maintenance tip for TarHeel Antenna owners.

HAM RADIO DELUXE FORUM

In addition to all that, I've put the Ham Radio Deluxe forum from Orlando on the ARVN.TV web site. Rick Ruhl W4PC and his partners have caused quite a stir by deciding to make their newly acquired product a commercial, paid project, beginning with the next major release. You can hear just what that's all about, directly from Rick. Again, it's all on the web, free-to-watch.

MORE TO COME

As I type, I'm in the middle of a rather slow recovery from Hernia surgery that's slowed me down on producing Episode Three, which I expect will be on the changes to 60 meters. As with the Episode Two interviews, I'll bring in an expert and subject him or her to my inimitable interview style (not that nobody can imitate it... nobody wants to).

Ham Radio Now is brought to you by... you. No commercials, just a quick request up front (and in an occasional title) for a voluntary payment or contribution. My goal: 10,000 hams @ $10/year for all you care to watch. Simple, no? So far, pretty good response. Just look for Arvin, the ARVN mascot/piggy-bank, and 'click the pig' to contribute... if you find the programs worthwhile.
    Piggy Bank.png

Gary KN4AQ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.