ad: elecraft

Internet Archive Seeks Donations of Materials to Build a Digital Library of Amateur Radio and Commun

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N1EBC, Oct 5, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N1EBC

N1EBC Ham Member QRZ Page

https://gizmodo.com/internet-archive-seeks-help-building-amateur-radio-coll-1849619444
    Internet Archive has begun gathering content for the Digital Library of Amateur Radio and Communications (DLARC), which will be a massive online library of materials and collections related to amateur radio and early digital communications. The DLARC is funded by a significant grant from the Amateur Radio Digital Communications (ARDC), a private foundation, to create a digital library that documents, preserves, and provides open access to the history of this community.

nosaj
    N1EBC

K8VSY and KO4ESA like this.
  2. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K0UO, KE0GXN and KO4ESA like this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Crickets ! Guess not an interesting topic for many on the Zed.
    Never heard of ARDC went to the site to check it out.
    One thing is very evident...DOLLARS
    https://www.ampr.org/grants/

KE0GXN and KO4ESA like this.
  4. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

Having a ham radio information group on telegram I was glad to be able to find a pdf of a nato low power communications book. It took me over a year to be able to purchase a printed copy. I like the idea of ham radio PDFs being available. N5DUX had several useful PDFs as does antenna theory website. Some of the fun of the hobby is being able to do one’s own research and experiment with skills that improve over time.

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Internet Archive has a number of lawsuits against them, and may be facing criminal prosecution as well. As an author, I find their behavior reprehensible. Making public domain material readily available is fine, but they are egregiously violating copyright law left and right.

KL7KN, K0UO, KE0GXN and 1 other person like this.
  6. WY7BG

7. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Never heard of these archive people or the ARDC.

After reading some links here…

Looks like the Internet Archive people need to apply for some more grants from the ARDC so their folks can pay their fines or use for bail money.

WY7BG and K0UO like this.
  8. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Not everything on archive.org is suspected. It's been really handy for me, helped find old driver software, out of print material
    and once I found evidence of a defendant lying, presented claims on their old web site in court, clink!

N3RYB likes this.
  9. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

As a point of clarification. Anyone can create an account and upload to the internet archive. They are supposed to adhere to the terms of service about having the rights to share. The DMCA take down process is used as the tool to determine orphan works vs violations, etc. So what you see on there is content from a bunch of individual curators like back in the day when all the internet providers gave you space to create a website.

When the IA staff digitizes things that are more recent than say 1920 (the actual rule is mostly the life of the author +75 years), its posted with controlled digital lending which allows one person at a time to "check it out", just like at a library. These digital copies are things that they have own physical copies of.

Things I have curated:

https://archive.org/details/newiham
    https://archive.org/details/badgerstatesmokesignals

K6CLS likes this.
  10. WY7BG

It's true that not everything on the site is pirated. But that's like a thief claiming that not everything he has is stolen. Irrelevant!

KE0GXN likes this.
  11. WY7BG

In other words, they get away with everything they can, and only relent if caught.

IMHO, the amateur radio community should not be supporting this sort of criminal activity against amateur radio organizations and hams who are authors.

KE0GXN likes this.
  12. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem in my opinion is there really is no central registry for authors. For example I have been trying to borrow a book that only the library of congress has for months now with no success. If there was a known contact method for the author I'd try reaching him that way. (However I do believe he is deceased).

So to clarify the "they" you reference isn't the IA staff, its random people on the internet not adhereing to their terms of service and acceptable use policies. The "only relent if caught" is really a fundamental flaw in the copyright system as I just explained with no central registry anymore, and the DMCA extenstion of 1998 forcing the authors to be their own advocates. It's not feasible with the current system to get written authorization for everything posted to the internet.

In my opinion the grant to fund this "Digital Library of Amateur Radio & Communications" is a good thing. This will encourage an official channel with a staff member to review it all to get material online rather than a bunch of end users maybe trying their best (or not their best depending on how you look at it) to share information that will help people learn, research and overall appreciate the hobby in general.

Again all my opinion as a research oriented person. Like anything you don't have to support it if you feel differently.

I expect it will grow as grand of resource as https://worldradiohistory.com/

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
  13. WY7BG

Nope. They encourage the posting of copyrighted works with a nod and a wink. And copyright scofflaw Google, in whose interest it is to deprecate copyright, funds them to do it.

14. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Authors typically do not own the books they write; the work for hire is sold to the publisher who does whatever with it...

Including go out of business... Then the copyright is held by no one and the work is lost forever. Because copyright duration terms are far excessive.

KB9MWR likes this.
  15. K3WGI

K3WGI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the Internet Archive and peruse it often.

K8VSY likes this.