ad: Alphaant-1

International Visitors to VK - New Regs

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK3QB, May 20, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. VK3QB

VK3QB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Australian Regulator, The Australian Media and Communications Authority (ACMA), has recently implemented a new Legislative Instrument for Amateur Radio. It is referred to as the Class Licence. You can read more about it here:

Amateur radio | ACMA

As a result, there are some changes to the way callsigns are assigned and used in Australia. AThere have been some changes to how VK prefixes are allocated and used.

If you plan to visit VK, either for a casual mainland holiday, or to operate a DXpedition, please refer this news item - and contact us should you have any queries at info@vkradioamateurs.org

VK Regulations for DXpeditions for International Visitors – The Radio Amateur Society of Australia Inc. (vkradioamateurs.org)

Some other relevant info is included which may be helpful regarding bands and power limits.

Sincerely,

Chris Chapman VK3QB / VJ3N
    vk3qb@vkradioamateurs.org
    The Radio Amateur Society of Australia
    www.vkradioamateurs.org

K0BBC, AF7UK, N6RLS and 8 others like this.
  2. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If everyone here in the USA had a 400 watt power limit, there would less qrm, fewer people trying to out do everyone else, and the hams running low power, qrp would have a fair chance at the DX. When you hear a station in a pile up with a 60 over s 9 signal wiping out everyone else, it's not fair at all. The DX stations only listen for the strongest stations. If everyone ran the same amount of power as in Austriala, everyone would have a fair chance. I know of other hams feel the same way as I do.

K8CGS, VK3CRG, G8HGN and 33 others like this.
  3. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect that a lot of people would exceed it. I think the problem is less the power limit but more "all knobs to the right" culture. People use 1500W to ragchew with their neighbor even though the FCC rules say you're supposed to use minimum necessary power. Sometimes the extra power is really needed to make marginal conditions work. Its just those that feel the need to run it all the time screw it up for others.

That said, I don't think that is very relevant to the thread topic.

K7LZR, JK1WPS, NL7XT and 16 others like this.
  4. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh gee, life is not inherently fair.... :oops::oops::oops::oops: :rolleyes:

N8VIL, W2DB, G8KHF and 11 others like this.
  5. ZL1TKL

ZL1TKL Ham Member QRZ Page

A bit of dreamland sneaking into the hobby and think of the harm it would do to experimenters they deserve to be allowed to progress their dreams or are we hams heading towards a nanny state , I couldn't give a damn if some guy down the street wants to run a couple of kw rag chewing to his mate thats called freedom and he can't do it 24/7/365 now can he ? self regulation is the only answer so would you object to me using 10 kw on 12ghz ??? theres no such thing as a fair chance as everybody's qth is different and everybody has different antennas different abilities etc so common sense is the only regulator not govt interference in a fine hobby

N8VIL, W2DB, AK9S and 17 others like this.
  6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

KI5UXW, KG4BFR, N1WVQ and 1 other person like this.
  7. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems to be, that the changes are for to lower the costs and having a reduced bureaucracy, like in the CEPT countries too.

KG4BFR, UT7UX and VK4SDD like this.
  8. W4WTS

W4WTS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, and if everyone ran the same antenna's.....those tall multi-element beams just aren't fair either...and those RF bullies who have multiple towers and beams at different heights...........and if only the sun would charge the ionosphere the same and propagation was equal for everyone......If only the USA was communist, then we'd all have the same things and life would be "so fair". Sigh...."Thou shall not covet thy neighbors possessions".

N8VIL, W2DB, AK9S and 18 others like this.
  9. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm at the opposite end of the RF power spectrum where I believe that 2.5 kw should be allowed and that the present 1.5 kw is antiquated and should be upgraded.

AK9S, N8VIL, KD2HZI and 13 others like this.
  10. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Too much is never enuff! LoL!

Lets propose 10kW

W2DB, WX4C, VE9RK and 7 others like this.
  11. KD7MW

KD7MW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a welcome simplification for visitors to VK. What I don’t understand is the old restrictions for U.S. hams based on when we first earned our license of that class. Example: it appears my Extra would have had less privileges if I first earned it before 2000 rather than after. Can someone explain that? Just curious about the reasoning.

12. WI4MM

WI4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee.. there's that jive word fair..
    Fair is what you make it in life. My humble opinion.

W2DB, KH6JIM, ZL1TKL and 1 other person like this.
  13. K5VG

K5VG QRZ Lifetime Member #513 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Interesting. I earned my Extra in 1981 or thereabouts. I have the same exact privileges as any other Extra.

N1WVQ likes this.
  14. K5VG

K5VG QRZ Lifetime Member #513 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

"Running the same power" means zippo. What counts, and ONLY what counts, is the signal strength (non-technical term) you are able to shine on the station you're trying to work. Power output from the transmitter or amplifier is only part of that equation, and many other factors are involved. There is no way that limiting output power levels the playing field. Not no way, no how.

VE5RH, KE0LPO, AC8MA and 3 others like this.
  15. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

What should that be? Update from 1.5 kw up to 2.5 kw. There is no difference, only in your invoice from the energy supplier.

To produce 6 db or S1 more at the other station you reach out, you have to use always four times more.

And from 1.5 kw it has to be 6 kw, to have a marginal success.

K4TIN, MM0IMC, WA7ARK and 6 others like this.