ad: ProAudio-1

Installing A Mag Mount On A Fiberglass RV Roof - K6UDA Radio Episode 49

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6UDA, Apr 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, I would never, never drill a hole in the roof of an RV...
    How about a clamp on mirror mount, truckers do this all the time.

2. PU1CPS

PU1CPS Ham Member QRZ Page

3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Properly done, it works well. I proved it a hundred times for several years.
    That's OK for MF-HF but, a lousy idea for VHF-up. The result is a radiation pattern that isn't omnidirectional.

4. K6UDA

K6UDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Watch this weeks episode for that answer.

5. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

All of these folks who wouldn't drill a hole in and RV, yet, the TV antenna comes through a hole, mounted in holes, plumbing vents go through holes, the air conditioner is in a BIG hole, the refrigerator vents through a hole, and the roof hatch vents are good size holes.

I guess some guys just don't like holes.

Drill, Baby, drill!

WA7PRC likes this.
  6. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why not?

Serious question. I honestly don't know why one should not drill holes in fiberglass.

AI7PM likes this.
  7. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

When you can mount an antenna on mirror or even the rear ladder is an option, why drill holes for a piss willy 1/4 wave mag mount? But, to each his own.

8. WA7PRC

The point is to have an omnidirectional radiation pattern, by using a groundplane that is uniform. Otherwise, in order to maintain communication, you'd have to never turn. :p

9. N4GKS

Omni direction makes sense on HF or 2 meter ssb, but repeaters? Come on.

10. WA7PRC

Non omni when working a repeater (or any station) is fine, as long as the relative direction of the repeater never changes. :p

11. N4GKS

All mobile antennas are omnidirectional.

12. WA7PRC

...if they're installed above the middle of an appropriate and symmetrical groundplane. If they're installed to one side, they're not omni.

13. N4GKS

True. However, will -0.9 db make much difference into a repeater? I think not.

14. K6UDA

Many things are drilled into the roof of a motorhome. If its done correctly by someone who knows what they are doing, theres no issue. It's rained heavily here since the install and this coax cover and seal perform flawlessly.

15. K6UDA

There is no reason not to. The manufacturer drills and cuts holes for A/C units, TV antennas, plumbing and refrigeration vents, FM radios, Solar Panels and more. Lots of this stuff is put on after a coach leaves the factory.