ad: Halibut-1

ICOM LC-192 - IC-705 QRP backpack review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Mar 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

What ARE you talking about?

WHO is denigrating this?

Not me....

Put succinctly, I asked: how do OTHERS solve the problem of carrying the radio gear AND a minimum of standard hiking gear, in this pack?

For example-- if you decide to splay a camelback outside (to save room IN the pack)and in back of the pack, you add torque to your back and shoulder muscles. Not a great idea on a hike.

Perhaps, you should stand by, as I am, to see any --helpful-- suggestions from other users. I can guarantee that anyone and everyone who hikes with a radio encounters this issue with this system.

If I didn't ENJOY the pack, I would have sent it back. Obviously I didn't do that.

Thanks.

Chip W1YW

2. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

love the tripod!

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Rod (KA0USE) and I had a nice follow-up.

Remember: if you don't quote the post you are addressing, the assumption is that it refers to the prior post, or the original post.

Rod pointed out there is a series of ICOM videos on the backpack made for the JA audience --which are interesting. Keep in mind the JA video star is not summiting Mount Washington....and has not prepped for a summit hike.

Chip W1YW

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's how KI6NAZ addresses the issue....

Whats Inside My ICOM IC-705 LC-192 ham radio Backpack? - Bing video

IMO his use of a small sidepack attachment ('molly') unbalances the pack--but he probably worked hard to keep the weight even.

Lotsa forethought needed for your specific use, that's my take away.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The 705 is great I don't care what bag you put it in. HI

W7UUU likes this.
  6. DL1RAS

DL1RAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Dream on......

7. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Last ones standing, Luke 22:36. We will see how it goes soon enough.

8. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't tell if the Peovi also provides a faceplate cover?

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Pascal is Canadian...

10. KM6ZQV

KM6ZQV Ham Member QRZ Page

According to what I have read they are thinking of making a face plate/cover but the current Peovi kit does not come with a cover.

11. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

America Lite. :)

I kid!

Or...JK!

Chris

12. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

Lightweight backpack not needed LOL. I have been to every mountain top in NH with a tower on it (Including Cannon). Used ATV's or snowmobiles for most of the journey but in many cases had to hoof it to the final destination. Pics of me and a buddy going and on top of Kearsarge. Try hauling that stuff up with crampons on and using ropes to assist in getting to the top once the granite face has been iced over!

Anyway, back to the backpack. I am of the mindset to buy what is best for the individual. Some people like the pre-made specialty things. I personally do not like "specialty" items like backpacks. I prefer to buy one that I can fit my needs.

hink_we_stayed_up_here_too_long_.jpg joeonsnowcat.jpg

W1YW likes this.
  13. KN4ZXK

KN4ZXK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have both the 705 and this backpack. I have to say this is the most fun radio I’ve owned. Now I’m spoiled and won’t but another radio that doesn’t have a built in sound card and gps. Luckily I think all the brands are going that direction. I just run a vhf/uhf antenna while hiking and carry linked dipole from Sotabeams or a small vertical depending on my destination. Pics of my setup on my page.

Kn4zxk

14. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very thorough review, has some neat features specific to man-portable ops.
    Hey Pascal, is Garage a French term for Surgery-Room? LOL , goodness it's clean and organized in there!!

15. G3BA

G3BA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A great alternative is the Lowepro Tahoe bp150 backpack. Less than one-third of the price of the Icom bag, at least in the UK