ad: Alphaant-1

ICOM LC-192 - IC-705 QRP backpack review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Mar 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello everyone,

In this video I show you how I arranged the contents of the ICOM backpack, the LC-192 for the QRP IC-705 radio. Including the HF Comet HFJ-350M antenna and the Diamond RS-520 support.

73 Pascal VA2PV.

LC-192 Thumb.jpg

68OP067 and 2E0MOW like this.
  2. DO5OMH

DO5OMH Ham Member QRZ Page

Americans are funny people.....

AA2EC and K0UO like this.
  3. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

God is an American.

W0PV likes this.
  4. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

i love your cat!
    mine liked to hide in a pack and swat at whatever (or whoever) walked by.

VA2PV and UT7UX like this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed. Guilty as charged.

I guess if one can afford the 705, then $170 for a silly backpack is ... ahem, reasonable.

VA2PV and K9GLS like this.
  6. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Honestly I'm disappointed. I wanted to see the cat, not a strange stuff instead. :)

N3OB, WD4ELG and KA0USE like this.
  7. UT7UX

The right of the people to keep and bear Arms is fundamental and undebatable part of the freedom. I'd add cheap gas and V8 trucks however that right itself which shall not be infringed is pretty enough.

WN1MB and WD4ELG like this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Please keep comments at least somewhat relevant to to the actual topic of this Amateur Radio News forum topic.

Dave
    W7UUU

K0UO likes this.
  9. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

your cat and i think the whole kit is cool.
    your cat would thank you for a mouse tail to swat.

VA2PV and UT7UX like this.
  10. N1IPU

Luke 22:36. Dunno about Pick ups and cheap gas.

I do agree with you though the backpack is silly at the price asked. For that money I could kit out a proper backpack.

11. UT7UX

So you're saying Jesus meant a radio in a bag and I have pretty nothing to object. ;)

In my part of the world gas costs some EUR1 per litre, not per gallon. :mad:

Icom is well known for its greed. First buy [not cheap at all] radio and then buy damn overpriced accessories. Remote control software? Pay for it too. :eek:

Sure. Moreover, everyone has their own idea of what is best. :)
    I'd rather put my lightweight 50W HF TRX (bought used for exactly the same $170 as reviewed LC-192) with sufficient battery pack and autotuner into any existing backpack I already have or could buy for cheap: 3dB below 'standard' 100W is not a big deal for typical portable station while twice less current consumption means twice smaller battery and twice less heat to be dissipated. Your backpack obviously could be different according your particular gear and your needs.

12. UT7UX

Pascal, I kindly ask you for your input to this hamradio thread. ;)

VA2PV likes this.
  13. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like it and have one coming for my 705, a great little all mode radio. Thanks Icom
    :):)

VA2PV and K8HIT like this.
  14. N1IPU

I tried out the 705 and wasn't too impressed. My 891 has better receive and better audio out for a lot less money. I tried it then bought another 891.

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't wait to get my IC-705 and the new backpack!

Pascal, thanks for showing your setup.

This backpack is designed to be super light and to balance out the weight for your back. IC-705 optimally housed at top of pack.

That's why I am not going to use a $9.95 'Hello Kitty' backpack from Walmart instead.
    (Scene below is Mt Lafayette and Cannon Mt from Sugar Hill NH. We actually have (almost) pointy mountains on the east coast...)

mtlafayettesugarhill2mar21.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    VA2PV likes this.