ad: LZQSLprint-1

Icom IC-9700 - First Impression

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M1MRB, Jan 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N5SMO

N5SMO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

One good thing about the 9700 is that it should make the remaining 9100s really affordable.

W4HM and W5PFG like this.
  2. N5WLS

N5WLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Apologies if this has already been posted.

WB8LBZ/SK2023 likes this.
  3. KL7SB

KL7SB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The 9100 is really not a good rig for VHF/UHF weak signal work. Like all "shack in a box" types, it is a compromise. There really hasn't been one on the market since the IC910H (which, if you can find it used, sells for more than the original retail price.) The only good options have been a K3 or Flex w/transverters. If the 9700 is at the price point speculated (1500-2000) it's going to sell. There is a lot of pent up demand.

N6SPP and AK5B like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I had pretty good luck with my Heathkit Twoer 2m AM rig in the fall of 2017... I do wish 2m AM would make a comeback for the nostalgia radios. I had a lot of fun with it...

Dave
    W7UUU

NL7W, AK5B and W1TRY like this.
  5. W1SS

W1SS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like you cannot receive any kind of Civil Aviation Band ( 108 - 136 MHz ). Am I right about that ?

6. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would slightly disagree. The IC-9100's VHF/UHF performance is very similar (TX & RX) to that of an Icom IC-910. I've owned and used both extensively. Just because the IC-9100 has all bands and modes, I would not lump in the same category as an IC-706, Yaesu FT-857, TS-2000, etc. I'm quite grateful Icom produced the IC-9100 for us because for a long time, up until the future release of the IC-9700 there was really no newly designed/refined VHF/UHF all mode in almost twenty years. Sure, some will jump in and mention the Kenwood TS-2000, but it falls more in that "shack in a box" category, in my opinion, than the IC-9100. There is a clear and definitive performance gap between the two.

I've had quite a few of the older vintage, dedicated VHF/UHF rigs. Sometimes they are put on a pedestal as possessing God-like status, but in reality they were good in their day -- not necessarily 2019. A few of them still hold their own, but I find a lot of the fan-love for the older VHF/UHF rigs to be more based on folklore than fact. Don't we all have fond memories of our favorites?

NL7W, KI4WCA, VE3CGA and 2 others like this.
  7. KD0WGB

KD0WGB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

NOT WORTH IT

8. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Will not rx on Airband 108 to 136 Mhz

9. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It’s tough to give a first impression on an unreleased radio but, I’ll try.

It sounds like a cool rig. However, if it is priced anywhere near $2000 then I’ll just stick with my Flex 5000A V/U rigs until they don’t work anymore. The old 5000’s still run circles around my 7300 and I expect the 9700 will be a similar canned SDR experience. Just like the 7300, it’s an SDR with knobs, a tiny display and respectable performance but, not stellar performance. It’s basically just a crossover rig from convention to SDR.

If priced at $1500 or less then Icom might win my business. At anywhere near the $2000 range then I’ll pass on this one. Maybe pick up a used one in a couple years when the groupies are dumping them for the next fad.

Anyway, like it or not that’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it. :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    ND6M likes this.
  10. 9J2CA

9J2CA Ham Member QRZ Page

That's too much - can get a nice Mini here in Lusaka for that!!

AK5B likes this.
  11. N2SLO

N2SLO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Totally disagree with you. I am a dedicated VHF/UHF contester, have the IC 9100, 736R, Icom 746 with major hardware, amps, mast mounted pre-amps etc. The 9100 is a great radio, and now that the price has plunged to around $1900, you can still add the 1.2 module and for $2500 have HF + all the bands up to 1.2. For $1800, Icom can keep its 3 band radio. For what its worth, the 910H was no bargain.

KI4WCA, W5PFG, KC8UJP and 1 other person like this.
  12. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Run away all you guys. Maybe it will make the price go down some more and I'll get a second one.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

W5PFG, WD9EWK and AK5B like this.
  13. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

WD9EWK likes this.
  14. 7J1ADJ

7J1ADJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The IC-9700 is available in Japan with a list price of $1725 USD. The difference is that it is only 50Watts on VHF and the TX frequencies are locked to the Japan standard: 144-146 mhz and 430-440 mhz and cannot be modified without swapping the main CPU. This is by Japanese law and nicknamed the "J" mark. Too many non-amateurs in Japan operate out of band and interfere with other services. Now they operate illegally within the HAM bands, in the quiet area reserved for Satellite communications which is very frustrating. The Japanese version of the FCC does not enforce the rules/laws much. https://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/izu-tyokkura/ic-9700.html

15. KR6RK

KR6RK Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks great but the propagation on VHF and UHF is not so good. Practically local QSOs. :(