ad: portazero-1

ICOM IC-7300 at the 2016 Dayton Hamvention®

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8KSU, May 26, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

2. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Because that's how it was designed maybe? Saw where someone posted a review on eHam Reviews & they gave a lower review rating because they discovered there was only on S-239 after they had purchased it.It's obvious that person did not do any research on the rig & was looking for a reason too return the rig.It's ICOM's fault that he did not research what he was buying? Typical of so many appliance operators today & if the rig does not meet your needs then don'y buy it.I love ICOM gear but would never own this rig since I won't own or use a rig that requires touching the screen so that it will operate no matter who makes it.Do your research before placing an order & then make your review on how it functions from what you got compared to what you paid for.

Clayton
    W4KVW

3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, for U programmers and homebrewers, here is a project!!
    The 7300 has BAND DATA coming out a jack in the back.
    design an auto antenna switch that senses the band data and then routes the signal to one of THREE coax connectors. One for 80 & 40, one for 20, 15 and 10, and one for 6.
    Or it could be expanded to 5 coax connectors. Add 160M, and WARC bands.
    Seems like an easy project for microprocessor. Maybe I oughta look into seeing if it can be done with an Arduino nano!

4. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

IF the data is analogue it is simple.
    That is what GOD made Window comparors for.

5. KJ6YRS

KJ6YRS Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateurlogic.tv website has more info and over an hour long video going over all the details of this amazing radio its a lot of radio in a small package, also check out the same group on youtube amateurlogic.tv channel.

AB8JH and AF6LJ like this.
  6. WA6MHZ

MANUAL
    www.icomamerica.com/en/.../DownloadDocument.aspx?

page 12-1
    ACC Socket
    Pin 5, BAND VOLTAGE OUTPUT, VARIED 0 TO 8 VDC
    So would have to experiment to find what voltage each band its, and then use the Analog input on the ARDUINO to specify what band is being used
    Voltage measurement will hafta be very precise

So, say 80M is 1V
    and 40M is 2V
    The program will compare the voltage read to a look up table and then send the signal through some good relays to an appropriate SO-239 jack.
    GOOD RF DESIGN required so there is no loss in the process, on RX or TX
    Similar things are done in antenna tuners, so its not a rocket science

If Voltage is 8V, send the signal to the 6 meter SO-239

Now I have a project to work on using my toy Arduinos!!
    Look for a CAT RANCH ELECTRONICS project on this in the future!!!
    But I have to take the measurements first for each band.

AF6LJ likes this.
  7. W0HR

W0HR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, the touch screen feature certainly may be a 'deal breaker' for a lot of folks. I had to give that some careful consideration before ordering this rig. I did go ahead with it because I'm thinking this is a trend of the future and I might as well learn how to use a touch screen on a radio (and how to protect it from scratches, etc.), as all the new 'smart' phones, 'tablets' and other electronic gadgets have them - and at least one other ham rig (TS-990). So far (since March 31), I left the factory protection film on the screen for about a week, tried some non-adhesive clear nylon which kept sliding down and off. I'm now using a stylus pen with it, so I don't have to get fingerprints on it. I'm looking for a screen protector that can be applied easily, stays on without sliding around or bubbling, looks 'invisible' and can be easily removed without leaving any residue or any other trace that it was there. I may be asking too much, HI.

BUT, I have found using the touch screen with the "menu" laid out the way Icom did this, is so intuitive and logical that; that alone - for me at least - is well worth the extra care and other minimal effort that a touch screen may require.

I still like buttons and knobs, though they seem t0 be slowly disappearing from radios - and most everything else. (Tell me 'bout the good ol' days):rolleyes:

8. WA6MHZ

I hate touch screens too, especially when your fingers are bigger than the buttons being pressed. SUCH is the problem with my cellphone!!

W4KVW likes this.
  9. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Most Hams keep a radio much longer than most people keep a phone so the screen being touched would generally be for many more years than the average phone of even an iPad.I don't own a cell phone or an iPad but I do see that my wife's Smart Phone Screen is quiet scratched up & not what I'd want my radio screen looking like.She generally gets a new cell phone every year & a half or so.I wipe my screens on all of my radios now quiet often & I try & not touch them but do sometimes by accident.I think these screens will become a Big issue after long years of usage & cost & availability will make them very unpopular with the consumers.The companies say they will last but then they tell us how they are durable & how well those cell phone & iPad screens hold up hoping we don't realize how short of a life the average cell phone has due too new phones being released & those phones getting traded in.I'm guessing they will be a Snake that will come back too bite their long term or 2nd or 3rd owners.Of course all of the companies want them too eventually fail so we will spend our hard earned Cash on something new.

Clayton
    W4KVW

W4HM likes this.
  10. W0HR

With the 7300 touch screen, my biggest problem is that I subconsciously get in a hurry, often touching a button (icon) next to the correct one. However, most of the screens (windows?- panels?) have a a return (or 'undo') icon down in the corner, so navigating back to the error is easy. Therefore, I don't have to start all over from the beginning. And yes, the stylus I use now, helps with the large finger issue noted, but it's a little awkward and time consuming to pick up to use every time.

-Mike

W4KVW likes this.
  11. W0HR

This is true. The radio touch screen is definitely going to require more care, and will likely be much more prone to scratches than a none-touch radio screen or dial window. Just going to have to see how long this design lasts, I guess. My bet would be (if I was a bettin' man), the touch screen design feature will expand and still be on the rise when it's my time to go home. Hmmmm

12. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe control the rig with a tablet or small laptop as described in a previous post. Then there is no need to touch or look at the small screen. With that feature, it makes this a fantastic radio.

13. W0HR

I really think that's a good idea. I just might look around for an inexpensive smaller lap top to dedicate to the radio.

Just recently, Icom posted a new firmware upgrade for the IC-7600, so a mouse could be connected to it and used to control the frequency on its new (in the same upgrade, I believe) waterfall display. Knowing that, I would think it would be pretty easy for Icom to design a firmware upgrade to allow a mouse to be connected directly to the radio and used to control all the features and functions on the IC-7300 touch screen, without a PC or external software. Now that would be GREAT! No touch touch screen... oh yeah. Truthfully... for this, it would even be worth paying a little extra (but don't tell Icom).

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  14. KE4KE

KE4KE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For those of you who wanted a more in depth video..... There already was one and that is why no one felt the need to do more.

http://www.amateurlogic.tv/blog/?p=866

Tim
    KE4KE
    (More of a Kenwood and Ten-Tec fan)

15. WA6MHZ

I wonder if U can put a CELLPHONE TYPE Screen Protector on it??