ad: AbAuRe-1

ICNIRP enforcement. This goes in my "Radiation in the Environment" folder

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by GM4BRB, Mar 3, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) Guidelines for the protection of the general public from electromagnetic fields (EMF). I received this email just now, from Ofcom, as I was buying some 4CX power-tubes online. I don't know quite how it affects the average amateur user. Perhaps we need a lawyer, or several.
    So, how will it affect amateurs with QRO?

https://www.icnirp.org/cms/upload/publications/ICNIRPrfgdl2020.pdf
    March 2020

Seems that all the current 5G & beyond wireless allocation, spectrum regions are, at 1st glance, exempt? 'N/A signifies that field-strength does not need to be taken into account when determining compliance ...'
    FULL excemption for 5G.jpg
    That determination currently worries me. Because as I've shown on these forums before; - the higher the frequency, the higher the energy contained in an e-m field, for the same power level, - that's a physics fact.

"Dear Licence Holder,

We are writing to make you aware of some important changes that we are proposing to make to your Wireless Telegraphy Act licence(s) issued by Ofcom.

In February and October last year, we issued two public consultations on our proposal to formally require licensees to comply with the internationally agreed levels in the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) Guidelines for the protection of the general public from electromagnetic fields (EMF). We refer to these levels as the ICNIRP general public limits. In October, we also issued a Statement setting out our decision to formally require licensees to comply with the ICNIRP general public limits and we recently published an update on how we propose to implement that decision.

We are now writing to you to inform you of our proposal to vary the terms and conditions of your licence(s) to require you to comply with the ICNIRP general public limits. In accordance with the Wireless Telegraphy Act and your licence(s), we are giving you notice of our proposal by publishing a General Notice on our website
    ."

[...]

"If you have any questions about this change and what it means for you, further information can be found on the dedicated EMF webpage using the address provided above.

Yours faithfully,

Ofcom
    "

General new guidance and adjustments to your UK licence are being, or have been made, (who knows already). Whilst 5G including Oxygen resonance frequency-spread, gets the full green-light and hidden-in-plain-view inside cactus plants if you're walking on the sunny-side. Stand and deliver! Oh, I will then. Ofcom, so-far, don't provide a clear URL link, as to how it applies in our world of amateur reality. What an easy-life they have.

https://twistedsifter.com/2012/08/examples-of-cell-phone-tower-disguises/

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    W4CUB likes this.
  2. GM4BRB

Huh! It's back. The post was gone but it's back.
    AND DON'T PANIC. I GOT ONE OF THESE (ex-National Physical Lab, UK, on eBay for £60). Or if you're in club-membership, you can gang-together and buy the latest version.

Mine cost the price of two worthless reheated steak ribs in the local resto-bar.
    I've had it for years, I'm naturally careful. A total nervous-wreck but naturally very prudent.
    NARDA Model 8716 Electromagnetic Monitor ·  probes 8723 & 8762D (1).jpg
    NARDA Model 8716 Electromagnetic Monitor ·  probes 8723 & 8762D (2).jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  3. GM4BRB

What I suppose incites me to worry that these new ICNIRP regs could lead into a 'land-grab' & metaphorical 'brain-drain', is that amateurs with 10W to 100'sW are being asked to report tiny-detail station changes, whilst elsewhere, typically:
    Numerous OTHR's and the many Super-DARN high-frequency arrays are pumping MW out in the name of national-security and a new batch of 'Auroral-Research' projects.
    Yes, I know. They're all out in 'the outback' & at the poles. The only place for them

Take for instance this new OTHR I just ran into. It's JORN.
    Australian Northern - territories "High Frequency Surveillance". (Looks for say Ballistic missiles). These sort of things are becoming ubiquitous. And I approve of them, as such.
    Great idea to keep them out of our kitchen gardens.
    https://www.baesystems.com/en-aus/feature/seeing-over-the-horizon

I've been listening to it just now, loud as a bin-bag of fighting cats on: http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/
    This SDR is in Holland.
    JORN about S9+30dB.

JORN aussi HF Surveillance OTHR.jpg
    JORN is a network of three remote OTHR radars located in the Northern Territory, Queensland and Western Australia.
    BAE Systems Australia has a team of more than 200 dedicated engineers & technicians committed to the ‘life cycle’ of JORN.

I mean, we're just the little people, right? Remember us! We were here too. At the same time.
    It's like everything else now. What can I safely say? Perhaps it won't matter too soon, anyway.
    And do you think I don't get it, that the average mutt doesn't give a damn, or know the 1st thing I'm talking about? Anyways, I digress, and why should I expect the likes of you to give a damn.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021