ad: M2Ant-1

IC-705 on 1/4 wave Vertical, 1 Radial, No Tuner

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE2FGJ, Feb 22, 2021 at 4:47 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I doubt if it's very efficient, if you are using only one wire radial.

2. VE2FGJ

VE2FGJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Right, I meant that it will resonate and will not require a tuner. Additional radials will improve it.

3. AB2YC

AB2YC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have something similar here: I used a MFJ whip, connected to the top of a photography tripod.

I make up 3 sets of 5 radials each that are connected each together as a bundle (3 bundles of 5 radials)

I mechanically hook each bundles to the tripod, then make the electrical connection with a
    Powerpole Connector. I made up 15 stakes for the end of the radials from harbor freight pick and hook sets
    with the points ground off that are orange and have good visibility, but they probably should be longer.

I used a piece of PVC conduit with one end that screws off to store
    the whip in and it doubles as a measuring stick between the radials.

I can vary the length of the whip for tuning, but I just use a lil tuner for convenience.

KK4NSF likes this.
  4. KN6IVW

KN6IVW Ham Member QRZ Page

is there a special name for that bracket that you are holding the antenna with?

5. VE2FGJ

Yep, I will make sets of radials and connect with a Anderson pole connector for convenience.
    I want to avoid having to carry a tuner, I plan to go on SOTA, POTA with the least gears.

6. VE2FGJ

KK4NSF likes this.
  7. KN6IVW

KN6IVW Ham Member QRZ Page

8. N6TDG

N6TDG Ham Member QRZ Page

You know I am thinking about a second radio for the RV and think that the Icom 7100 would fit the bill. It is relatively inexpensive--a shack in a box--Does 0-100w. Can have fun with SSB VHF/UHF, or the usual FM repeaters in an area. Was thinking about a stick for mono band operation...something like 40m for day or night...but then again, a Wolf River Coil and a stick to get 80-40 and 20 might be the thing to do. I gotta look up the Wolf coils and see if they do 10 and 6 too. Might be a cool set up for being in the RV park. Run the Wolf River Coil off the metal rack in the rear and the 2m/70cm antenna on a musica stand out the front.

Anyone with experience with the 7100?

9. KJ7PRS

KJ7PRS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Wolf River coil. It really likes radials, like 12, or more. It really likes 30! 73 KJ7PRS

10. N6TDG

N6TDG Ham Member QRZ Page

So with the radials, there is something I learned putting togethe my DX Commander Classic antenna. It too has radials and one can just bundle four or five on a connector, solder the stuff together and now five radials for the price of one. Rinse and repeat. Now the radials don't have to be so long and everything works just fine. Something to consider.

MW1CFN likes this.