HRD Software, LLC releases version 5.11a

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
  1. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've not seen it addressed here, so my question is:
    Are we talking $79.95 for an ANNUAL or LIFETIME subscription ?

2. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

$59.95 1 + year of products and upgrades (1 year from the release of 6.0)
    $79.95 1 year of product and upgrades..... which includes .x releases for a year.
    renewal after 1 year is 1/2 of retail price, which would be 39.95 for years 2+.

3. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I assume it doesn't stop working or the license expire after a year.

You can keep using it, you just won't get updates or support. Is that correct?

4. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, never expires...

5. WD0MYM

WD0MYM Ham Member QRZ Page

As long as the software works at a level at or above the current version I have (5.0 2893 which works great) I have no problem paying for it. I look forward to the new version & hope it still works well with the subscription service here at QRZ.COM which I don't mind paying for either.

Jon

6. J85K

J85K Ham Member QRZ Page

Bundling HRD 6.0 and QRZ_XML database as a package.......

Hello Richard_W4PC,

Can you and your group consider bundling the XML database on QRZ with the HRD release 6.0?

You are a for-profit-company, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, kindly consider that there are many out there that are finding these economic times very, very challenging.
    The prior free offerings from both QRZ and HRD have kept many a ham from sad and despairing thoughts upon losing one's job. It is a sort of gentleman's social compact that this company should consider buying into. Just have a look at the wording of some QTH and QRZ ads....

Thanks and regards,

Kumar_J85K

7. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Kumar,

That's up to Fred...

I was one of those that was caught up in the economic challenge too. So I got moving and got a 6 month contract job to get us through the slow times.

I've lost many a job too, so I know the feeling, but my goal is to CREATE jobs with this venture.

Rick W4PC

8. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Rick,
    As far as call sign lookups/imports go, you could always set HRD up to or allow the end user to download the ULS Database like ACLog3.0 does. That would take you out of QRZ database all together and lessen the load on it.

Just an idea.....

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  9. NZ9Y

NZ9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I like HRD.

A cooperative "bundle" that discounts QRZ.coms XML database with purchase of HRD could be a win-win. You could buy your QRZ membership right through HRD or HRD from QRZ and save a few bucks.

The website and support documents aren't very confidence inspiring. I know it seems low priority but its always been that way and it is the polish that separates "professional" software from software written in the developers spare time.

Going back to the bundle idea, I'll buy HRD, but unfortunately the cost for both HRD and QRZ combined means I'll have to buy the lowest membership Fred offers that suites my operating needs, rather than the platinum level. If there was a significant discount for a bundle, I'd buy more QRZed.

I hope if people start buying lower level memberships here after shelling out for HRD that you all stay friends. Maybe it wont be an issue.

10. N0SSC

N0SSC Ham Member QRZ Page

Watch out for Fldigi ;)

I won't be buying it, it's just way to high for me. $30 would have been fine but I can't justify shelling $80, or even $60 for it. I would rather turn the knob by hand. It was always free and should continue to be, as well as continue to be supported by the hams who use it. The project is in good hands, but the price is a barrier to many. Same with MixW, LOGic and TRX-Manager.

Have they considered a monthly use fee? $5 a month, $60 per year, times who knows how much would be just as profitable IMHO.

I'll be sticking with FLdigi and/or my old copy of HRD5. Though I wish Simon was still behind HRD, I'm excited to watch the new SDR-Radio Console grow in the wake of HRD! That's the future, and it's where I want to be!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.