ad: Radclub22-1

HR2.0 - SharkRF openSPOT3 First Look and Setup!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Jan 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A new device to the market that just started shipping this month is the openSPOT3 MMDVM-type DV device from SharkRF. The original openSPOT and newer openSPOT2 were very hot items in the market for a long time, and are still used today by many ham radio operators. Enter the new version, the openSPOT3, which incorporates and internal battery and the ability to cross-talk between DMR and DSTAR, making it the first hotspot with such a feature. Take a look at the video and feel free to comment.

For more information, visit https://www.sharkrf.com

OE7CKI, SP7X and VE4REM like this.
  2. W7ABO

W7ABO Ham Member QRZ Page

Great

3. WV4M

WV4M Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video. I appreciate the info.

4. KN4ZUJ

KN4ZUJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Will this get my HT right on to the internet and making QSO's or do you still need an additional radio like with Wires-X?

5. KI5X

KI5X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It is just me or is that thing as ugly as sin? Btw I'm talking about the OpenSpot itself - not the host

W5CJA, KC5HWB and KG7HVR like this.
  6. KN4RA

KN4RA Ham Member QRZ Page

Still kinda bummed that the legacy version is discontinued.

W5AMG, KC5HWB, WD4ANA and 3 others like this.
  7. N8CD

N8CD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks - good overview. Probably shouldn't put your hotspot on 435.45 in the satellite sub-band though. The problem isn't so much the flea power hotspot, it's the HT that you'll be accessing it with.

KC8MXW, K5MPH, AG5DB and 1 other person like this.
  8. KH6DC

KH6DC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've worked D-Star to DMR, Yaesu Fusion and DMR to D-Star, FUsion and is all cases the end station said my audio was excellent. They couldn't believe I was operating cross mode and I told them t was an OP3. A bunch of them placed their order soon after.

WV4M, N9AMI and WD9EWK like this.
  9. KN4VVJ

KN4VVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I loved the Cross mode operation. That's what sold me on the OP3 without buying another radio. I placed my order and says delivery February 20th.

W5CJA, KM6DAK, KK4HPY and 2 others like this.
  10. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What do you mean exactly?

11. KD5BVX

What would you prefer it look like? There's no display or anything, if that's what you mean you'd rather it have. Of course, I've seen some gaudy and ugly pi-star hotspots with big ol' screens on them and obnoxiously big 'cases', though, so to each their own.

AG5DB, N9AMI and KI5X like this.
  12. KI5X

KI5X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh I have no idea what I'd like it to look like. I just know it's ugly (beige and blah). Takes me back to "I can't define xxxxx but I know it when I see it" lol

13. KD5BVX

Pretty sure they are stark white, not 90s PC beige, though...I think they look fairly modern, though I'd prefer a screen or maybe a network jack for hard wiring it to the network instead of wireless only.

14. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Its made to put in your magazine pocket, watch pocket, or other pocket. If you want a screen I just http://openspot3.local on my cell phone its running WiFi from and now I have a status screen. If your home WiFi is in use just do the same thing on your laptop or tablet. I have a Zumspot also with OLED screen, it really doesn't tell me anything I want to know. I have to get that from the Pi-Star dashboard.

I was an early user of OpenSpot 1, had 3 of them at one time for links, still kept the last one and also have a Openspot2 and was one of the first to receive the OpenSpot 3 on Jan 22. OpenSpots Just Plain Rock :)

ZumSpot in second place. I've tested 7 JumboSpots from various suppliers. They drift and do not have a quality TXCO like Zumspot does. 3 were so bad they would only do fusion, no DMR; and that was after the detailed Pi-Star calibration process on the command line. No Auto cal.

Stay away from JumboSpots they make you sound bad unless you get very lucky. The next issue with them is you might just get a Virus from opening the China Post Packet

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    KD5BVX and W8IXI like this.
  15. KM4CQG

KM4CQG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Finally the voice of REASON appears.

Jason thanks for the video see u at
    HamCation
    Ian
    KM4CQG

KC5HWB and K8XG like this.