HR2.0 - Operating FT8 in Costa Rica Remotely from Texas

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Nov 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Well 80-100 watts isn't "high power" so I guess we are in agreement.

WW2PT and KI6NAZ like this.
  2. KK4HPY

KK4HPY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I really appreciate you defining all of these "words" for us. "Words" are hard :)

Be careful , don't tire yourself out "looking into" making a youtube channel :)

KC5HWB likes this.
  3. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been doing this for years (back to the JT65 days). Initially I just used a remote desktop (free from Google) to connect to my shack computer so that I could work FT8 while pretending to watch a movie with the XYL. This can be done with any radio set up to send/receive FT8 assuming you use rig control software that allows you to turn the rig on. I use HRD, which gives me full control of the rig. I've made hundreds of remote FT8 contacts from airplanes, hotel rooms, work (don't tell), and my Dad's shack in Florida. Everything get's saved directly to the logging program in the shack, so logging is never a problem. I can access my shack computer on my phone, tablet or another computer. Now that said, my shack in SC is nothing like operating a remote station in Costa Rica....that's cool. But the remote part is something that just about anyone running FT8 can do. We can start making contacts while standing in line at the grocery store.

I had my wife thinking my shack was haunted....radios coming on and off, tuners tuning, computer coming to life, etc. :)

Love your vids Jason. Thanks for sharing.

W4RAV and KC5HWB like this.
  4. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL @ pretending to watch a movie with the XYL!!

Thanks for the positive comments, they are rare on QRZ.

5. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

You can still have weak signal at the receiving end even if you are running legal limit.

6. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The WSJT-X screen DIDN'T show your call with the "TI7 prefix" before it; am i missing something/wrong ???

Your live outgoing transmission WAS being transmitted from Costa Rica; again forgive me for being dumb/blonde but shouldn't the prefix be present ???? or is this some kind of (for want of another word) "con", subterfuge/oversight or a "mistake" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks BTW for answering my Question r.e. low power mode or not; much appreciated.

73 de G7DAZ (Darren/Daz)

WN1MB likes this.
  7. VK3VM

VK3VM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Gee !!!

I love the Amateur Trolling taking place in this thread!

Shhheesshh ... he is at least doing something!

Why can't Amaters play "nicely" with each other? Why do posts, guided or misguided have to be pounced on?

There are constructive, ethical ways of re-educating Amateurs rather than troll and attack ... And the majority of posts far from demonstrate the ethics of HAM - help all mankind - here !!!

2E0TWD, KC5HWB and K0PIR like this.
  8. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very true....just some of it "badly" or "incorrectly" or "done-on-purpose-to-deceive"

WN1MB likes this.
  9. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Many years ago I played with a "tracing" program which showed the path of internet connection.
    Often done to add "drama" to movies...
    Since my professional background is in telephony I often wonder why people get impressed with "complicated call routing" so common as soon as telephone operators were replaced by technology.

The only "value" I see in this particular stunt , and IMHO it is a stunt because it really does not tell the whole story during the contact, that IT CAN BE DONE.

Impressive?
    Depending on audience as in "one eye man is a king among blind ".

WN1MB likes this.
  10. WY7BG

WY7BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah. I think that, when you were transmitting remotely from Costa Rica, you may have forgotten to enter the grid square of that remote transceiver into FT8. My log doesn't show a Costa Rican grid square.