HR2.0 Episode 138: Unboxing the TYT MD-UV380/390 Dual Band DMR HT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, May 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
  1. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Concur. I've come across a hell of a lot more Jackhole, Diva Extras and Advanced operators than the allegedly unmotivated or incompetent Techs.

KG5JQH likes this.
  2. N0KAI

N0KAI Ham Member QRZ Page

Posted this MD-UV380 mini-review on Jason's FB page but it's probably worthwhile here too...

Week and some change in, I'm generally happy with my MD-UV380. Dumping the stock antenna for a Signal Stick made a significant improvement in reception. Battery is making it through the day but it's pretty much toast by bedtime. Good receive reports on DMR and analog. There does seem to be some confusion out there about UHF/VHF and the two channels. It's a true dual channel monitor. Channels are not tied to a band. You can monitor U/U, V/V, U/V. V/U, whatever you like. The current firmware is promiscuous only. You'll hear ALL DMR traffic on the timeslot regardless of the talk group selected. I have had a couple instances where keying up to activate a talk group on a local repeater leads to the radio getting stuck in TX. Only way to get it to stop is to power off. Volume is a hot mess. Radio is too loud at 1 for my tastes, and at 1, it totally mutes DMR traffic but not analog. I wish the volume knob was tied to the actual audio amp and not digitally interpreted by the CPU.

KD5BVX likes this.
  3. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have never needed any help unboxing a radio. But maybe you do...

4. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

This post was MUCH MORE INTERESTING than the unboxing video. Thank you

5. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Subscriber QRZ Page

Haha cute. Guess you didn't watch the video, either. That is far from what he does. Maybe you need help learning how to watch YouTube instead of looking quite silly with your posts ;):D

Take your signature to heart...