HR2.0 - Elecraft K4 Updates from Orlando Hamcation 2020

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Feb 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N8LEK

N8LEK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Those are excellent points Bob.

KR3DX and N0TZU like this.
  2. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

.... if you don't like the business model, buy your radio somewhere else ...

RIGHT - And I did !

But, you misrepresent my position. I said nothing about how the company is financing its latest venture. I made no argument against accepting deposits from prospective purchasers to fund development. You wrote a rebuttal to an argument I did not make. (Although, I rather doubt my XYL would agree to allocate $4-5000 from our investment pool as an interest free loan to finance the next great ham radio!)

And yet it kinda sorta smacks of breach of contract (if not just poor business acumen) to accept a full price deposit and promise to deliver the goods on a date certain - and postpone delivery for up to six months. But, again, you opened that can of worms, not I.

Ultimately, I just cannot get excited over a radio that does not exist and which is still under development. As Grandpa always used to say, sometimes: "Ya can't do business with an empty wagon." K8JHR

WD4ELG, KT5OT and K0UO like this.
  3. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The entire Ham Radio industry is a big hurry-up-and-wait game. It always has been. Production issues arise and time tables are pushed back. It happens with every manufacturer.

IMO Elecraft should be able to stand on their reputation from years past. They had the K1/K2/K3 series and the KX-line radios that many folks enjoy. The K4 will be available soon, but if they released it too early, people would be up in arms, claiming that they shouldn't be releasing a beta-only ready product. If you are truly serious about purchasing a K4, you should be thanking them for waiting and making sure the product is up to their existing standards.

KR3DX, NL7W, W6OWP and 5 others like this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you want a K4D And you want to reserve first delivery. It's around. $4999 But they have no firm price so it could cost more. And that's without an antenna tuner.
    It's going to be a great radio. No doubt.
    I've been waiting on mine.
    I went ahead and purchase two IC7610s And after talking to them last weekend, I think they're playing catch-up to emulate some of the features on the 7610. No doubt. They're going to have a few more things on the k4D. The K4D Which has two receivers just like the 7610, and their additional antenna tuner it is going to cost more than two IC7610s!!!!

It's a great time to be a HAM, with lots of great equipment out there. And with new equipment prices like the 7300, which is driving quality used equipment down to an affordable levels for everybody.
    Who would have thought 30 years ago that we would have five or six major manufacturers making radio transceivers in this day and age.??

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    KX2T, WA2LXB, KM4WRQ and 6 others like this.
  5. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The deposit for the K4 isn't the full price, so that argument isn't valid.

AK5B likes this.
  6. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

All I need to do is compare my experiences with Elecraft to my experiences with Icom (the latter as a consumer and as an authorized dealer). Elecraft gets my money every time. I’d wait three years for delivery of a K4 if I had to.

KR3DX, NY4I, N0TZU and 2 others like this.
  7. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There has been as many crowdsourced / Kickstarted scams as there has been successes.

K0UO likes this.
  8. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have reason to believe Elecraft is scamming anyone?

N0TZU and AK5B like this.
  9. AE2B

AE2B Ham Member QRZ Page

CHA CHING ANOTHER RICH MAND DEEP POCKET TOY BORING GOD BLESS BIG BOX RADIOS

10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh? Got a reference with statistics?

There are safeguards at the major sites, but whatever, if it bugs you don’t do it. Life itself has risks - one must know their own tolerance and act accordingly.

I’d like to stick around but Im just taking a hot cocoa break. A double black diamond ski trail is calling....

AK5B, K0UO and W8KIC like this.