ad: M2Ant-1

HR2.0 - DMR 201 – Understanding DMR Networks

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Mar 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, you are correct about the Livestream videos, but you also seem to be missing the point. The idea behind the livestreams is interaction with the audience. That is why I do both Livestreams AND uploaded videos that are just to-the-point and much shorter. Interacting with the audience is a fun way to keep in touch with everyone, and I get good comments each time I do so.

2. KB2HSH

KB2HSH Ham Member QRZ Page

I concur. I can call CQ (yes, CALL...despite what the "experts" say...) even with my 400 mW Michigan Mighty Mite, and make QSOs all day long.

The bands are as dead as they WANT to think...and then blame FT8 for.

KB2HSH

KC5HWB likes this.
  3. KE4YMX

KE4YMX Ham Member QRZ Page

You are so correct that propagation is not dead,, it is the hams. It is the lack of hams that are on the air thinking that the bands are dead. Perhaps the Hallmark Channel are keeping them distracted. I know this from experience,, I almost missed When Calls The Heart.. But really when i go out do portable for an hour two or three times a week i get 10-12 contacts in an hour,, using QRP no less.

KE4YMX

KC5HWB likes this.
  4. AC5A

AC5A Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m not a fan of DMR but just because it’s digital like Fusion, Dstar, etc does not necessarily mean its all voip. We use Fusion and Dstar all the time on local repeaters with no “internet” link.

5. N0YG

N0YG Ham Member QRZ Page

A whole bunch to long. While I like Jason's video's, this was WAY to much for me. Keep up the great informative video's, just not this long. Smaller section are always easier to grasp.

KC5HWB likes this.
  6. W4WFL

W4WFL Ham Member QRZ Page

I can do the same with my cellphone and use Messenger or Whatsapp and work the world.

7. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

...and I with DMR or regular HF comms.

8. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do videos, I keep them under 10 minutes, usually 5 minutes. I am not into self aggrandizement
    You Tube burt2481

KR3DX likes this.
  9. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ive talked with him on theTexas system once, his arrogance is even worse over the air, youre small Im big....some folks need a real life

10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

@AA1PR: Are you referring to the program host or the guest?

11. KC5HWB

Yes this was a Livestream with audience interaction, so it is longer than normal. I presented this same info to the TAPR DCC in 2018 and that video is much shorter, and has been on my channel for over a year.

12. KC5HWB

I'm sorry if I said something to offend you. I don't remember this on-air conversation you are talking about. But I often get on DMR and help others with question on DMR, so I am honestly unaware of what you are referring to. But if I came across rudely, I do apologize.

AA1PR likes this.
  13. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

well thank you for the honest reply, maybe you are not so bad , its hard (to pick up on an perceived attitude) when you cant see a person face to face, 73

14. N4LNE/SK2022

N4LNE/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I do not understand the attitudes of some posters because no one forces anyone to watch this video. I do not like some operating modes on ham radio but would never post a negative review of the video because of my dislikes. In short, let me just say thanks for the time and effort that went into this video. Of course, I am biased I own D-star, Fusion, DMR and soon to be part of the Allstar group. I also have an ICOM 7600 online 24/7 with Remote Hams.
    Phil

KC5HWB likes this.
  15. KF5SLK

KF5SLK Ham Member QRZ Page

Obviously you don't know Jason or confused him with someone else. Jason will bend over backwards to help another ham.

Many people don't realize this, but he has been instrumental in the growth of the "Texas System" through the donation of equipment he purchased, networking and putting repeater owners in touch with one another as well as with tower site owners, and by attempting to help as many people as possible become familiar with DMR through his local tech talks and his YouTube videos.

Even when he ran Grapevine Amateur Radio he would cut people deals or sell radios at cost just to get more folks on the air. There is no "self-aggrandizing" going on.
    He truly does this because he loves it and enjoys helping new hams out.