ad: Mountaingoat-1

HR2.0 - Bioenno Power 160 Watt-Hour Renewable Power Pack | Solar Generator, Off-Grid Power

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, May 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD1ELK

KD1ELK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am sure it's intentionally misleading, however I am not sure the terminology is all that inaccurate. A traditional generator converts gas into electricity, these convert sunlight into the same thing. As far as not coming with panels, generators don't come with the gas. Sure, the initial fuel investment is way less, but the featured product doesn't eat through the panel every few hours either.

2. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

The analogy doesn't hold up because solar panels are not consumable as is gas. Also, calling them "solar generators" without including the panels is misleading because the devices could take any number of DC inputs to charge the internal battery.

Chris

KA0HCP likes this.
  3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No we do not. We do not have to be complicit in misleading advertising hype designed to fool the public.

4. KD1ELK

KD1ELK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I suppose, although as long as it contains the wiring and solar controller then it can still generate electricity once the panels are connected. Not really a big deal, hopefully most of us understand that placing a plastic box in the sun wont do much by itself.

5. KO4ESA

KO4ESA Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent information. When I get my radio and antenna ,I plan on getting a battery from them.
    KO4ESA
    WRJR757

KD5BVX and KC5HWB like this.
  6. W9JF

W9JF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

THANK YOU Jason for the interesting videos. Thumbs up.

KD5BVX likes this.
  7. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video, thanks.

I however do not like "All in one units" for this purpose; experienced way too many of those in the old Hi-Fi days. You didn't get the best of each item.
    I have many of Bio's batteries, they are the best I have found for good quality and value in the Li-Iron batteries.

So get one of their 12-15 AH battery, Put it in a plastic MTM or other ammo box, buy a decent solar panel, 80-165 watts, [I got the PowerWerx folding advanced cell ones from HRO: https://powerwerx.com/solar-portable-power]

I chose an Inverter that delivers more than only 160watts of as they spec on this Generator at 11oVx1.3ish amps. Also AC inverters can be HF noisy, especially low cost ones. I had to shop around and return a few.

This is the Solar Controller I got made by PowerWerx, they also make one $10 less: https://powerwerx.com/mppt-300w-solar-charge-controller
    I chose to go with the better one so I could add more panels as needed; it is HF quiet no noise. My Bio Solar Charger sometimes will make HF noise on 40 and 80.

KO4ESA and KC5HWB like this.
  8. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's seems to be a nicely packaged field battery with a small (160 w) power inverter, with some decent logic.

I have a F-150, and did not have the package that includes a power inverter; though I am not sure what I would even use it for.

A few months ago, I bought a 12v DC input 120 v AC @ 300 watt output power inverter on eBay for ~$35.00. 120 v AC @ 300 watts, that is sure to get warm, and I am not so keen on vehicle wiring these days. I keep it in my truck for "just in case" but have yet to use it.

Another solid video, thanks. DE KQ1V

KO4ESA, KC5HWB and KD5BVX like this.
  9. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed, much like a "shack in a box" radio. But this is just another tool in the toolbox for me, it isn't an all-in-1 solution. I have several batteries to run my radios, and I usually use this device for my laptop charge.

OLDARCHER, K8XG, KO4ESA and 1 other person like this.