ad: TinyPaddle-1

Howard D. Bolton, Jr. 1949 - 2009

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by N5RLR, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N5RLR

N5RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

My brother, Howard Dale Bolton, Junior, affectionately known as "Butch," passed away at 1:37 PM [18:37 GMT/UTC] on 17 June. He'd been in hospital since 3 June, having gone in with trouble breathing, and was sedated and placed on a ventilator. Over time it evolved that his kidneys ceased functioning, which necessitated daily dialysis. His oxygen requirements could fluctuate from day to day, as could need for medication to keep his blood-pressure elevated to a safe level.

The morning of 17 June, an attempt was made to perform a tracheostomy [breathing tube through the neck, forgive me for being graphic], with unintended results. He had to be resuscitated five times. With the heaviest of hearts, I authorized a Do Not Resuscitate [DNR] order, in the event of further trouble. It was left in his and the Good Lord's hands from that point.

He went peacefully, as I had prayed to God Almighty that he would when the time came. He was 59 years old.

For over thirty years he worked in the local auto refinishing industry, beginning as a painter for Earl Scheib, then later becoming a bodywork- and collision technician with various bodyshops. He had an eye for detail and could tell one if a car had been wrecked, how it was impacted and where, and how it was repaired. All by sight.

He was under a doctor's care for many years for a variety of ailments. Circa 2005, his health began to decline even further, and he took a medical early retirement the next year. He lived in the family home with myself and our sister Barbara. He'd been in hospital at least once per year since then, until the final time.

It could be said that he influenced my hobby of electronics and radio. When I was very young, he and I would connect batteries to flashlight bulbs and electric motors [with something, a piece of a SpiroGraph® set I believe, to make a "helicopter"]. Later, he got me into slot-car racing. Next was a short foray [for him] into CB Radio, which I continued and parlayed into Amateur Radio. He also influenced my love of drawing, beginning with automobiles and eventually getting into mechanical and electrical/electronic work.

And now, the usual matters have to be tended to. I'm holding together, as I must. As I told Barbara, I'll fall apart later. Not now.

Pray for my family, please.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.