ad: portazero-1

How To Setup Pileup Busting Audio on the Icom 7300

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K0LWC, Dec 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K0LWC

K0LWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Icom 7300 is one of the most popular radios today -- and for good reason. The audio you can get from the IC-7300 is phenomenal.

KF0GVX likes this.
  2. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I stopped watching the first time he transmitted without identifying and without checking whether the frequency was in use.

NY4Q, KN4XJ, KA9JLM and 1 other person like this.
  3. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats a shame! Too many hams complacent to this issue. Thanks for bringing it up, I am about to watch the video now.
    I propose a new trend called "NO LIDS!"
    Let us hope that we never get caught being one ourselves. NO LIDS!"

4. K6LPM

Not sure how he did the audio reception, but I dont doubt it was editing and we have no idea if he has been working another station on the air that is recording this audio and editing it back in here to the video or if he is simply making one way transmissions. I will give it the benefit of a doubt. We dont know whom he is in contact with or for how long the qso was in effect before he transmitted. I would say that to make one way test transmissions over the air live and direct, just for the benefit of filming a instructional video on you tube is a semi-lid thing to do. More so a lid thing to do if you are soliciting subscriptions to your youtube channel and you monetize.
    However, he does identify and we really dont know how long or with whom he might be working on the air to make this video. So I will mostly give the benefit of doubt and in good spirit does not fully get NO LID, Doh! scorn or shunning
    In other words K0LWC, your ok dude, you seem to operate in good faith and spirit, you identify with your callsign, but watch those P's n Q's! Are one way test transmissions necessary over the air to make a you tube video? Better to make on air video demonstration during actual QSO . Did you check the freq was in use? It appears that you were clear of other stations on the air, we are not sure who you were talking to over the air? So,,, thats facts unknown.
    Lets all practice, "NO LIDS" which also means not rudely chastising others but by kindly being a good peer and keeping with a higher standard of respect and operation towards the traditions of ham radio.
    Remember the new Slogan ,"NO LIDS"!
    And now steering this back to the proper OP subject...
    It seems difficult to make a 7300 sound bad! They work good with the stock out of the box audio. Just about any electret condensor type of mic element will work well with the radio.
    I dont run my gain nearly as high as in this video. I run mine back at around 33-38 but I use compression at 3 or 4.... my SSB tone is +2 or +3 on bass and +3 or +4 on treble.
    On reception, I use the Noise reduction at 3 or 4 and the treble tone I turn up and I lower the bass tone controls.
    The radio has many more useful features than it does unuseful or confusing features.

5. K0LWC

I can’t imagine being that triggered without having any idea on the facts of the situation.

Take a breath.

K6KUK, KI5IRE, KN4DY and 6 others like this.
  6. N7WR

Triggered? Your response is triggered by ignorance of the rules. Watch the first part of the video. Listen to what he says and note that the TX goes into TX mode when he talks. There is no listening beforehand to see if the frequency is clear and no identification. I went back and watched the video and there are a host of problems with his recommended audio settings. His rag chew settings, for example, are more appropriate for the deep punch needed in DX pileups. But you wouldn't understand any of it apparently.

7. K0LWC

Video editing is a magical thing. As mentioned in my previous post, you have no idea what you’re talking about. No need to litigate the issue.

K6KUK, K0UO and K8HIT like this.
  8. N7WR

If you are going to make a video particularly one that is likely to be watched by many of the new ham/new IC 7300 owners maybe your video ought to make it clear that you have complied with FCC regs. You can assume all you want. Watch the video and you will see the TX light on the 7300 come on while he talks and go out when he finished. Never an ID.

9. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No offense, but while the audio you recorded from your camera sounded quite good, the audio you recorded off the air, not so much. Sounds similar to when I use the record function on a WebSDR. Do tell how you got the recorded audio. Nice effort.

10. K6LPM

Actually tone is so subjective regarding what is good tone... I would like to see what makes bad tone and the parameters to avoid a wide, flat topping, and excessive harmonic rich signal..
    Many times operators will overly process the audio to achieve the type of punch that they believe will get through a pileup. Often it is counterproductive to run high gain and over process with audio that distorts and flat tops. Very good operators utilize good procedure to break a pileup.... beyond punch and brute force a good operator listens and with experience will recognize a certain rythym or cadence and know when to place a strategically timed call. Good clean intelligible audio with good pronounciation/announciation helps.
    As always listen first, remain calm and continue to listen and before you call again listen before calmly making your call. Yelling excitedly into the microphone trying talk louder than everyone else is just making more QRM.
    Dont be a LID without listening and decide to just blast thru a pileup making your call on top of everyone else! Especially note, if you do walk the dog over everyone and get your response ..... please, please, and please dont be this lid.... "your 59, 59 old man, we are up here in north america on route 66 about 16miles west of jennys pancake house and its sunny weather here about 74 degrees, wind is blowing 4mph according to my radshack weather station.... The personal here is richard and the operating conditions here, we are running a yaywho ftdx5thou with my heil ribbon mic into a homebrew 3cx50000 at "ahhhh ah audio",,, yup peaking at bout 5 anda half Kay Dub Hi hi! The auntenna is two, say again two , 1& 2 total 7 ell stacked at 90ft Hows my audio? AND,,,, BY THE WAY, WHATS YOUR CALLSIGN? over..."
    Man I roll on the floor everytime I hear someone brute force their way thru a pileup and then have the nerve to ask that station what their callsign is.... Most pileups on voice these days become LID-FESTS.
    Dont be a Lid,,, NO LID!!!
    Like I said its pretty hard to make a 7300 behave bad regarding the audio... no matter how abnoxious you punch up the audio it seems that the 7300 wont exceed much over 3khz bandwidth on ssb.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  11. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

k6lpm -sincerely greeting brian vy73 djoaj ekrem

K6LPM likes this.
  12. K6LPM

:)
    tnx es 73!

13. KQ4GUI

KQ4GUI Ham Member QRZ Page

When I heard you on a few weeks ago you had the best audio I have heard for a radio like that! I can not wait for the 7300

14. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

At least back then you refrained from ham clown face…..

For what it’s worth is does not matter how good the audio is on a radio. Case in point, the 7300 is no bueno for many hams who live in urban environments or high noise floor areas.

The 7300 suffers from well documented front end overload in high noise settings.

As they say…..You can’t work them no matter how good your audio is, if you can’t hear them.

So no thanks, I think I’ll just keep using my old trusty 450D.

15. K6LPM

The beauty of many of the Icom receivers is the fact that they include attenuation, RF Gain control, and multiple levels of preamplification.
    I have often noticed where some operators have a tendency to run with the pre amplification always on.... Same with the RF gain.
    Icoms are noted for receiver sensitivity. It is not always best to dime all the controls wide open but better to finesse for best reception. Utilize the manual control and you have a very dynamic and versatile receiver.
    The bandpass and notch filtering is another area where the Icom shines. I don't wish to debate which brand works better or is superior, but just what has worked for me... Certainly the Icom noise floor can fatigue the operator if not manually managed effectively, but I have found it to also have the potential to discover weak signals where other receivers might not find them...
    Listening is somewhat of a lost art these days. As the only signals most stations will acknowledge are the strongest signals, well above the noise floor....
    This is particularly the case when it comes to working Phone.

KE0GXN likes this.