ad: wmr-1

How To Resurrect Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NA4IT, Jan 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NA4IT

NA4IT Ham Member QRZ Page

How To Resurrect Ham Radio

Many folks have made comments as to why ham radio is dying. Computers, the Internet, other interests, all have had their share of the blame.

And there have and are many things being tried to enhance ham radio and bring others in the hobby. Communications training, license restructuring, the elimination of Morse code, all have or are being tried.

But here is a “new” thought! A lot of folks remember when Amateur Radio Operators were respected for the professionalism they showed forth. The neighborhood kid was drawn to the ham next door, because the ham would try to teach him something, and really took an interest in a young one.

Has anyone noticed what usually happens anytime someone posts something about any aspect of ham radio on the Internet in forum style? Usually it erupts somewhere along the line into a flame fest. Someone calls someone a “low-coder” or puts down someone who happens to like controlling their radio with a computer. And it isn’t always the OM’s that are doing it.

Well, what needs to be done? As the old song goes “Try a little kindness”. Why do the neighborhood kids not want to be in amateur radio? It may be because of the way we treat them. Why does a technician licensee not want to upgrade and be on HF? How would it feel to be called a “Low-Code General”.

Guys, we are the ones who have to promote amateur radio. And there are only two ways to promote it; negatively or positively. Let’s get to work!

Now then, it is time for your replies to this article. Instead of bashing me, why not think about it, and offer your own good suggestions as to how you can make ham radio appealing for the non-ham or the new ham.

73 de NA4IT

2. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Where is your data to back up your assertions that ham radio is dying?  I love these posts.  No proof, no numbers to back it up. If the number of licenses issued for driving went down, would you say the driving of cars is dying? Of course not.

My comment is ham radio does not need resurrecting.  In my opinion and according to the numbers,  Ham radio is healthy and growing worldwide.  I have heard many comments suggesting the hobby is dying.  I don't believe that and I think it is a myth that is self perpetuating through the constant repeating of that mantra as in YOUR post.

As to the youth of this country not wanting to join ham radio well, I'm not their mother and not their father.  Let them join some other technical hobby.  Or, you could blame Britney Spears, Mariah Carey.  With sluts like that showing all their "Stuff", why would our youth want to mess with a radio stuff.  Then again, theres the Rap Music garbage.  I could go on but...................

You have to want to join the ham radio ranks naturally and on your own, not be pushed in that direction by some overbearing and myopic dad that is already licensed.

Ham radio is a definite and instant geek maker in their eyes.  Teens don't want that hanging over their head.  Wheres the car keys, I'm going out with the guys.

K2WH

3. N5USN

N5USN Ham Member QRZ Page

When I had an extra radio lying around, I would offer it to someone that passed his or her test. It worked! I bought my girlfriend a new icom v-8000 so she would take the test. She's now K5BRG. I'v bought books and study guides for people interested. Showing off the neat features of radio, instead of BASHING all modes you don't like is a wonderful way to get people involved.

Perry

4. K6MFW

K6MFW Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems that people keep using the same paradigm to promote ham radio (communicate around the world, make phone calls from your car, etc.) or start a code/no code debate. Yes, 40 years ago making phone calls from your car was a big deal.

I would say ham radio gives you tools to communicate long distances independent of corporate networks. Wow, that is how it should be promoted. I can communicate long distances with MY OWN stuff instead being dependent on a ISP or a phone company.

Also as a license holder, you are tracable. Want to find out where I live? Look up my callsign. If my "contact" is only an email, how would you know I actually exist? Having a license keeps you honest because you can easily be found.

Mike, K6MFW (and you can even see what I look like)

5. KL1IF

KL1IF Ham Member QRZ Page

This is just a part of a much bigger problem, called armageddon. I think the main reason alot of people on the HF bands are rude to each other is a lack of God in their lives. And this applies to all other aspects of live too... people are not rude "only" on ham radio, they are rude in traffic, rude at work, rude at stores, rude everywhere. I agree with the original poster about "trying a little kindness." A lack of God in your heart will cause people to harbor anger with themselves without having a means to control it. Thus life, including ham radio, becomes a 'vent' or outlet for this. I would immagine that most people who act rude to others on HF feel bad about it inside afterwards... so then why do it? Think before you act.

6. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Although I agree the hobby doesn't need "saving", the kindness suggestion really applies at the Technician level. The key to maintaining growth is to ensure every person who gets a license gets on the air and that there are local "on the air" activities for Technician Class licensees. Through this activity, they are encouraged and helped to pass the elements necessary to get on HF. But if they can't, then there is plenty for them to do at their current license class.

7. N3TTN

N3TTN Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Guys, we are the ones who have to promote amateur radio. And there are only two ways to promote it; negatively or positively. Let’s get to work!

Now then, it is time for your replies to this article. Instead of bashing me, why not think about it, and offer your own good suggestions as to how you can make ham radio appealing for the non-ham or the new ham.

73 de NA4IT [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I for one won't bash you, I think you have made a lot of good points. I agree with your comment about "a little kindness goes a long way", and I realize that these internet threads can get very emotional for some folks, but I think that all ham radio needs these days is a little more civility, and consideration for your fellow hams, as well as a genuine effort to get more young folks interested in the hobby. For myself, I have been very fortunate to have a long time extra class ham take me under his wing, and become sort of an elmer for me. Somewhere down the road when I'm much more experienced than I am now, I would like to "return" the favor, and become a friend and elmer to some younger hams and prospective hams.

73, N3TTN

8. N0PU

N0PU Guest

I agree with you about the kids... but there is a twist...

When I was a kid, my folks thought nothing of my being mentored by a local Ham... Today it is different... the first thing people want to know is 'Why is that man trying to attract kids to his house?', 'What is he REALLY doing over there?'

That is part of the divide. People think every 'computer geek' or person that knows things about something they are ignorant about is 'weird' and need to be avoided at all costs...

This isn't the total picture but I believe it is one to be included in the overall picture...

It is truely sad... The media has made everyone suspect everyone else...

I used to live in an old church and I had 5000 sq feet filled with electronics parts and a technical library that was available to the kids in the area... My teen daughters attracted young teen boys and I worked with them so they could be exposed to Ham Radio, Computers and Electronics in general, and these young folks were always welcome in our home/work place/old church. The kids had to have been in school that day, and weren't allowed in during school hours. We had a very good rapore [sp] with many parents.

At one point one of the parents, who refused to come in and see what we were doing, reported us to the police for operating a 'cult' ... This parent could not get the 'church' idea out of their mind, and since I was vocal about not being a 'Christian', I had to be running a 'cult', trying to warp their children. After several visits from the cops, we were cleared of any charges but it was a crappy situation for awhile...

I guess it was better for that child to be home...where his Dad came in a 2 AM and beat the crap out of him... just because he existed...

And people wonder why I have become so cynical in my old age... go figure...

I still try to help folks, but I have found it is much safer from my basement through the internet on forums such as this...

I guess I have become a social Hermit...

Is this still on topic... maybe...

9. WA1FOK

WA1FOK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi:
    In reply to the comment about ham radio not "dying" I would urge that you listen to the 20 meter band almost any time. Compared to 5 to 10 years ago there is little or no activity. True I have no statistics but common sense would say that if you can tune from 14300 to 14180 and hear about 5 or 6 stations then something is certainly causing a severe decrease in activity.
    WA1FOK

10. KG0GY

KG0GY Ham Member QRZ Page

I was first licensed when I was 15 years old.  The ham that tought the class, both novice and general, was a wise old bird that new code, operations and theory.  We learned to send code using a straight key.  When we were done with the novice training, basic circuits were understood and could be built.  Compare this to the current novice requirements.  If you can read and memorize a very limited amount of information, you receive a license.  Okay, so this may attract people into the hobby that are interested in community service activites, and possibly the number of no-code hams gives the appearance that the hobby is not dying.  But listen to the novice portion of any band----silence.

Bringing people into the hobby via local repeater activity is great, but to keep people in the hobby requires more. I think what is required is to provide a challenge not just to the youth but to any new ham. Teaching people about the HF bands and the mystery of propagation is just such a challenge. Working the world on 5 watts via either CW or other digital mode is a challenge. Organized training for responding to a disaster is a challenge.

Providing HF loaner rigs to new hams, mentoring, inviting new hams (and their parents) into your shack is important. Last night, a technician class holder came over and we worked a bit of DX. I showed him my radios, digital capability, contesting records etc. Within a few minutes he was asking me questions about propagation, my boat anchors and rag chewing. He left excited about the possibilites that simply reading about in a book can not provide.

11. W0LC

W0LC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Much of what you post is fine and good. However, I don't see the code issue coming into the picture, but then again, who knows.

Let's look back say 30-40 years. Amateur radio WAS the technology back then. There weren cell phones, computers, video games, etc. It had attraction to those that were technically minded.

Today, there are many other technological lures to pull the "young" people away from being interested in amateur radio. What does amateur radio offer? Communication? You can get that via cell phones, internet, etc.

As to the hobby dying. I disagree. All the "sky is falling" fanatics out there that are trying anything to get more individuals into the hobby, which includes, yes, I am afraid to mention it, deleting code testing.

Testing has been changed, entrance criteria has been changed, licensing, etc. Has it really "improved" or caused the hobby to grow? I don't think significantly.

Kindness is nice, but look in general at our society. It has over time, become more and more a "me" society and the rudeness, violence, etc. all start to demonstrate themselves in every aspect from road rage to foul mouthed slob bucket mouths on 20, 75, 2, etc.

Name calling, list making, etc.; in today's society, one can just about say, do, demonstrate, display anything as accountability and responsibility have gone out the window. It is never "my fault" but socieyt's fault, my environment, genes, etc.

As amateur radio operators, we SHOULD act responsibly, on the air, in equipment dealings, etc. How will that happen? With a change in our societal attitude. I don't see that happening anytime soon I am afraid.

In summary, kids today are more affluent then 30-40 years ago. There is much more technology to capture our time. Can you remember back when there was one tv in the house and it was b/w? One phone? One car? All this affluence has caused many to get lazy and expect more for less effort, and it shows.

To make amateur radio attractive it first must demonstrate what it has to offer that isn't available anywhere else. Then there needs to be effort to get across to the public why they should belong to such a hobby. Then, there must be the demonstration and explantion of the various aspects and attractions that can be applied to each person, individually.

It does do that, but to a very limited degree. Clubs need to be more active rather then a swap story meeting followed by a gorgefest at the local diner.

I could go on.

You make good points. Perhaps others will make some recommendations vs. rebuttals.

Let's see.

12. KD7POE/SK2023

KD7POE/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to agree that there is not enough kindness in the world today, but do not agree that Ham Radio is dying. What is dying is the use of the Radio.

All Hobbies and Recreational Interests are going through a transition period. Take a look at all your Fraternal Organizations, Elks, Moose, Lions, American Legion, etc. These organizations are really dying.

Look at Square Dancing, (Past Association President) for all purposes this recreation is just about dead.

But Ham Radio is surviving this transition period, Ham operators are just turning their interests beyond Radio. They are still Communicating, They are just doing it using other methods, such as this forum.

Years ago , you would be discussing this over the "Air"
    Now you have this forum to do it. This is where Ham Radio has evolved.

The biggest change today is that people are afraid of commitment. All of your Radio Clubs are having problems getting Officers. People just do not want to commit there time.

Long Live "Amateur Radio"

KG4BHR likes this.
  13. K0RPT

K0RPT Ham Member QRZ Page

Teaching kids is a great thing! The question we have to ask ourselves is: What do we have to offer the kids we teach? Who is going to school them in the fine art of amateur radio? The most important question is the one that is over looked some much, that we as hams dont even realize that we are guilty of! Being a parent!

We, in our very busy life styles have no time for the kids anymore. 20 years ago, parents were more available to meet the kids needs and to expose kids to our hobby. Now a days we dont have time to take them to a movie! This is a very sad state that our society is in. Corporate america has the strings of life in their hands and we must follow the directive of such or we are left behind.

Just like the kids we have no time for, the kids have no time for us because we have not taught them to respect us or their surroundings. Parents that have no time for the kids will just "give them what they want so as not to have to deal with them". This is very un cool in my opinion but it is fact!

Remember, you are a product of your up bringing! Your kids will be a product of your choosing!

Thats all!

73 KØRPT

14. KV4SO

KV4SO QRZ Member QRZ Page

Focusing on the tangible and relevant aspects of the hobby is the best way to bring people into Amateur Radio.

For example, I believe that one of the best aspects of Amateur Radio is it's role in Emergency Communications. I know of many who decided to earn their license because of this. Most operators who train and participate in this role tend to be more serious about what they are doing. While not perfect, this results in nets that are better managed and more operators who "behave" properly while on-the-air. It also allows us to focus on helping others instead of ourselves, especially in times of crisis (this benefit, alone, makes it all worthwhile).

Activities such as EmCom and experimentation is what Amateur Radio is all about. Besides the challenges these activities present, they are tangible and relevant. It is these things which interests people, not petty matters such as "code vs. no-code." debates.

Have a great day,

Steve
    K4GF

15. KU4XU

KU4XU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello All,
    Well, I must admit that the world wide web does have it's influence on me. I do spend more time here than in the shack. I do'nt believe that the hobby is dying, but I do think the computer keeps some away from amateur radio. I remember someone telling me , " Why talk to someone in Japan on a radio when you can on the web." My best answer is it's more fun. I also think that many people do'nt know what a ham radio is. Who's fault is that? Mine and yours.
    Another reason may be that many think the hobby is very expensive.They may not know that most rigs are no more expensive than a standard computer. Anyway, I just think it's our own fault that ham radio is'nt as well known.
     I must say that I have been lucky as far as kindness goes.I have had only one incident with an operator that was rude.It was on a 2 meter machine.I was inquiring about a subject and he talked to me like I was an idiot. And he was a lower class operator. When someone asks a question ,do'nt assume they're stupid. That's a sure way to turn someone off. I never use that 2 meter machine anymore.
     For sure, kindness goes a long way! I think we should talk about our hobby to others as much as possible, and in a polite manner.
    73 everyone , KU4XU  , Daryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.