ad: MLSons-1

HOW RADIO AMATEURS LAUNCHED WORLD'S FIRST PRIVATE COMMUNICATIONS SATELLITE

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Dec 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WA4IAM

WA4IAM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great article, thanks for posting it! I remember AO-7 being launched soon after I got my novice license in 1974.

KR3DX likes this.
  2. KC1DRW

KC1DRW Ham Member QRZ Page

This was a great article and I enjoyed it. What made it the best is it did not start with a link to a video. Sometimes I prefer to read something vs watch something. Thank you. now I will watch the other videos posted to enhance the subject

KR3DX and WA5KM like this.
  3. MATTIESADDLER

MATTIESADDLER QRZ Member

The article is very interesting! I join in the praise addressed to the author!

4. AB9VJ

AB9VJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for posting this article.

5. KDBC

KDBC QRZ Member

Yesterday Amateurs use to be innovators, today lag far behind technology stuck in the 60's outdated practices.

6. KB3VRK

KB3VRK Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interesting article, glad you posted it, especially since for fun, I am building a Cubesat satelite with PC boards and instructions on the AMSAT website.

7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

AMSAT-NA (North America), the original, like other amateur radio national organizations, has struggled recently to satisfy all its membership.

However since Oscar 1 it should be recognized that "AMSAT" has grown into a global conglomerate, responsible for many other spectacular achievements.

From the wiki page,

AMSAT organizations worldwide

From its first launch, AMSAT projects have had international scope. As of 2006, 21 countries have launched an amateur satellite. Many of these countries have their own AMSAT affiliate, some of which are noted below:

AMSAT Germany (AMSAT-DL, AMSAT Deutschland) has built and managed projects of several amateur radio satellites, notably AO-40.

AMSAT Japan (JAMSAT) has contributed to many satellites, in addition to launching its own satellites in cooperation with JAXA: the Fuji-OSCAR series.

AMSAT India (AMSAT-IN) launched its first amateur satellite, VUSat-OSCAR 52 in 2005 aboard an Indian Space Research Organisation PSLV launch vehicle from Sriharikota, India.[13]

AMSAT United Kingdom (AMSAT-UK) built FUNcube AO-73 with AMSAT-NL, an Amateur CubeSat that was launched as part of a Russian Dnepr payload in November 2013.

AMSAT Italia (AMSAT-I) has built the HAMVIDEO TV transmitter for International Space Station.

AMSAT-CT is NGO for Education and Development is Portuguese VIP member of AMSAT-DL, funded by Aerospace Observatory in 1998 [1]

AMSAT-CT develop the prototype of the satellite CAMOESat-1 at Oeiras Aerospace Observatory facilities

AMSAT-NL Netherlands

AMSAT Brazil (AMSAT-BR)

AMSAT Philippines (AMSAT-PH), club call sign DX1O, Diwata-2 satellite is designated Philippines-OSCAR 101 (PO-101) and has the amateur call sign DW4TA.

AMSAT Spain (AMSAT EA), designed and built the radio-amateur satellites GENESIS-L, GENESIS-N, EASAT-2 and HADES, all of them pocketQubes.

One of the most popular projects from the above group is the relatively recent one that established the first amateur satellite in geostationary orbit, Es'hail 2 / QO-100. Check out the activity on its web portal.

Also, there have arisen alternatives or supplements to AMSAT-NA through the intellectual and financial support of other amateur radio rooted org's such as Open Research Institute (ORI) and Amateur Radio Digital Communications (ARDC).

73, John, WØPV

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    K6CLS likes this.
  8. W7SXM

W7SXM Ham Member QRZ Page

I was the first to copy Oscar 1 at Byrd Station Antarctica on the first orbit. We took an Ampex Tape recorder outside to record it but it froze before the pass. HI HI HI. Ward W7SXM

KC7JNJ and W0PV like this.
  9. WZ8S

WZ8S Ham Member QRZ Page

I miss the days of "Elegant Engineering". Thanks for posting !

10. KD9TLS

KD9TLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Great article! Thank you for posting!
    KD9TLS

11. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Pioneers ! Congrats ! :cool:

Several years ago the University of Hawaii's first Cubesat was lost along with several others atop a Russian Spacecraft when it veered off course and had to be destroyed :(
    G3SEA/KH6

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Speak for yourself!

;-)

W0PV likes this.