ad: MLSons-1

Hooked on CW !!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W7BIA, Mar 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1DFU

W1DFU Ham Member QRZ Page

It must be catching.I had been trying to "re-catch the ham radio bug" for a long time.A fews weeks ago I decided to give CW a whirl after a long absence.The rest is history.I'm  getting my speed back up to a respectable level and I'm having a ball.My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.If anyone wants to sked feel free to e-mail me at w1dfu@vermontel.net

2. NE5U

NE5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Arnie,

Great post and great thread. Not one disparaging remark about Morse Code.

If you want to add some more fun to your CW experience try working CW mobile. It's a blast. Rob (W8YRB), he posted a good bit above this, is the primary driver behind me increasing my interest in using Morse Code. Especially CW mobile. He was kind enough to spend a bunch of his time working with me to get my speed up as well as my sending quality. His reasons for liking CW and mine parallel though he's been at it much longer than I.

I've been lucky enough to be home, this month, more than on the road so I haven't made a mobile CW contact in over a month but the last one was at 75 MPH on I25, going south, just before Raton Pass, late one night. I distinctly remember the contact because I had a wonderful time with it. If someone would have looked in my pickup they would have seen a big smile nested in intense concentration. I even worked another mobile (hey WA4BNO, if you are reading, could you QSL please. I count my first mobile- mobile CW contact as a major event in my Ham careeer. I would love to have the card to prove it.)

I use an FT100D (great rig), ATAS 100 antenna, and a bencher paddle for all my mobile work. The sound from the rig is channeled through my stereo system. It makes for a very nice operating environment. (sound familiar Rob?)

73 all

Mike,
    WM5LL

3. KB8ANY

KB8ANY Ham Member QRZ Page

Great post! CW is not just more fun. Once you get good it is easier to use than voice. 73. Paul

4. K8NY

K8NY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Arnie,
    Welcome back to cw, it's really great to work this mode as you well know!
    I returned to the air in 1998 after being off for 20 years. Originally licensed 42 years ago, I never let my ticket lapse, just was not active.
    Wow, was it great returning and even more wonderful getting back on cw. I have always had a love for cw since I was stranded in that mode for 3 years (1960-1963 not being able to afford or build a phone rig - I guess that was a blessing in disguise&#33[​IMG]) .
    My code speed was about 15wpm when I returned but have now managed to move it up to 30wpm. Most of my cw speed increase has come from running mobile cw on my commute back and forth to work (50 miles each way) but just getting on cw and working a few stations will start to increase anyone's speed.
    And yes, you are correct, cw ops will always slow down for a slower station when asked. In fact, most good cw ops will slowdown for a slower op even without being asked! It's common, old time, cw courtesy.
    There is a camaraderie that exists on cw and contrary to popular belief, most cw ops are very friendly and helpful.
    I am real glad you're back to cw Arnie, most folks just don't know what they're missing!

Bob K8NY  [​IMG]

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Great post, Arnie!

It is nice to see so many ops discovering, and re-discovering, the fine art of CW! It truly is a very enjoyable part of the Amateur Radio hobby!

I have been licenced since 1996, and were it not for CW, I am sure I would not have found the hobby to have provided the many enjoyable hours it has. I unplugged the mic long ago, and have no idea where it is, but if I should happen to come across it one day, I shall be sure to remove the battery, which must surely be quite corroded by now.

I have been known to operate a paddle, a bug, a straight key, and even a few bare wires now and then... whatever it takes to get a few dits out the antennae.

I tend to work 15 meters pretty much all the time if it is open... usually at the following location:
    http://www.qsl.net/va5cw/slo-chat.htm  (...Gee! ... is that my call sign in there?)  [​IMG]

This spot has yielded many fine chats with many fine ops! It is the best feeling to work a new call and have them say "tnx QRS fer a new op - its been fun - I will be back".  When the band is open, anyone looking for a nice, leisurley chat, can usually find someone to accomodate them here. It is a nice spot to loosen up at.

From the replies to your post, Arnie, my faith is restored in the fact there ARE ops getting into (and back into) CW to discover the pleasure involved in this unique and mysterious mode of communication!

73 Bill
    VA5CW   [​IMG]

6. VA6AW

VA6AW Ham Member QRZ Page

To Arnie:

It sure is great to hear that Charlie Whiskey is alive and well in this age of "off the shelf" Radio operating.

I became a Ham operator in 1971, though I have been inactive for some time. I still scan the bands occasionaly with an old 5 tube receiver but is leaves much to be desired.

I clearly remember learning about amateur radio when I met a blind student that was in charge of our high school amateur rado station in early 70's. I beleive his call sign was VE6ABJ and the school call was VE6AVE, if I am correct.

From this "Elmer" I learned to send CW and have never forgotten how. Its a little rusty though. I will also never forget the moments when I went on the air for the first time with a FRDX and FLDX 400 pair and began contacting Russians, Europeans and many other CW'ers over the pole at 2 or 3 AM in the morning. I can still hear the sound of their signals on the low end of 20 meters as the Northern Lights warped their signals. A Wonderfull sound

I also frequently look through my old QSL collecton and can remember many of my contacts as if they occured just yesterday. How many Hams can say that about a SSB contact from 25 years ago. This has rekindled my interest and I applied for a new callsign. I hope to be back on my favorite band (20) as soon as possible.

Clearly, many Ham operators still use CW and we must make sure that this mode remains a vital part of the Amateur Radio community.

Gary VA6AW

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi there,
    I am just learnig for HAM license exam and I was finding some ways to learn morse code. Thank you for the link and thanks the guys from ARRL for the simply idea about the training mp3 files !
    73!
    Milan, OK2-34679 (meanwhile SWL...) [​IMG]

8. N5YG

N5YG Ham Member QRZ Page

CW is great and I fully agree!  Too bad the ARRL and FCC are not on the band wagon.  We are often compared to CB's but throw in the cw and that comparison quickly disappears.  I have always said, most people can talk on a mic or keyboard, but if you really desire to utilize a side of the hobby that is still fun, after more than a 100 years, try cw on for size.  Don't become frustrated though, give it a fair chance and you will "hear" a great deal of fun being exchanged on the air.  With regards to speed, most hams will be glad to honor your QRS, so don't be afraid to use when you feel the need.

73, Mike - K5EHM

9. WF0H

WF0H Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, there is something unique about CW that keeps bringing me back to it. Oh, I've tried every mode I could find, and enjoy many of them, but I just have to keep my CW from getting too rusty.

There is just a feeling of alchemy in the air when I sit down before a radio, any radio, and start to work the key. For just plain fun, I like to use an ancient mechanical 'bug' which produces a 'banana boat swing' rhythm. For long ragchews at high speed, a keyboard eliminates a lot of mistakes, but when I use a keyboard I don't use the common CW abbreviations as much. Most of the time, I use a keyer, but I've never appreciated the finer points of iambic 'squeeze keyer' operation, so please forgive the occasional extra 'dits'. I do not like any key that is smarter than me.

I believe that there has actually been a resurgence in CW recently. I am hearing signals in places that have been silent for many years! Of course, some of this may be due to the sunspot cycle, but I think that there are lots of people discovering CW for the first time, and they are doing it even though they don't have to. Bravo!

10. N4QA

N4QA Ham Member QRZ Page

To Ken, WA1VQP:

I know your fear, Ken. Had it for my first several CW contacts.

Just do it...

Many hams out there will slow down for you...and the very few who won't ?...forget them [​IMG]

Lately, I've been hanging out on the 20 meter QRP CW calling frequency...14060 kHz...give me a call !

Bill, N4QA

11. KB9VSB

KB9VSB Ham Member QRZ Page

I really liked this article I have been trying to increase my speed and my childeren are learning with me . But I have reacently found out through K9EG's holy-er than thow insight and have since been put back in my place as a "5 word per miniute general" so I guess I will just give up and go back to C.B. where I belong.With so many warmly united elmers such as him I will never be worthy of my ham ticket nor will my childeren so sorry I shall repent now.

12. KB9VSB

Exellent article Arnie, When I started studying for my general class ticket I had no clue that the code requirements were going to be dropped to 5 words per miniute. good thing for me but I would have kept trying for the thirteen any way ,in fact I am getting pretty close and my childeren and wife are learning with me. I always wanted to learn code even when I was a kid. But I Regret to say I now have to give up my favorite hobbie because Carl, K9EG has so thoughtfully put me in my proper place as a "5 word per miniute ham" I apologize to all the worthier than I hams that would rather keep me and my family down where we belong.I will remeber that I am not worthy to report a tornado or offer my equipment for use in case of an emergancy or natural disaster because I wouldn't want to polute the amateur hobby with my less than worthy code skills.So I will go back to the FRS. Where I belong. But I really did enjoy your article 73's

13. KB9VSB

Exellent article Arnie, When I started studying for my general class ticket I had no clue that the code requirements were going to be dropped to 5 words per miniute. good thing for me but I would have kept trying for the thirteen any way ,in fact I am getting pretty close and my childeren and wife are learning with me. I always wanted to learn code even when I was a kid. But I Regret to say I now have to give up my favorite hobbie because Carl, K9EG has so thoughtfully put me in my proper place as a "5 word per miniute ham" I apologize to all the worthier than I hams that would rather keep me and my family down where we belong.I will remeber that I am not worthy to report a tornado or offer my equipment for use in case of an emergancy or natural disaster because I wouldn't want to polute the amateur hobby with my less than worthy code skills.So I will go back to the FRS. Where I belong. But I really did enjoy your article 73's

14. KB9VSB

My sincere apologies to k9eg I mis read the call on my message board so I opened my mouth and inserted my own foot .the call I was refering to was ke9g sorry [​IMG]

15. N3YJ

N3YJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my tech in 1984 and really had a bad time with the code [​IMG]
    5wpm was a killer. I've just used the (87) rule to up grade to gen.
    and now that code this no longer a thret to my ability to advance
    I plan to try and learn it again. It's kind of like hunting with a longbow
    or flyfishing or even making a fire with flint and steel.
    Not every one can do it. I hope I can. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.