ad: elecraft

Honduras Medical Group Needs Ham Operators & Helpe

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Aug 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

John Kirckof writes

"Help! I.H.S. (International Health Services) needs ham radio operators (any license) and general helpers to accompany medical and dental teams to villages in Honduras.

Most of these villages have no electricity or phones and we often are the only medical care these local people will ever see. I.H.S. has been sending medical teams to remote Honduras for 20 years and are well equipped to handle the logistics of getting supplies and people directly to where they are needed.

Also, they will provide the HF gear for any operator who does not have his or her own portable rig. Women can do this job, too. This past Feb. we had two lady operators participate in remote locations. During our next mission we will even attempt to use Pactor in one or two villages to try and link into the internet ?E-mail? system.
    The overall mission dates are 15 Feb. through 3 March, 2002 with about 10 or 11 full days of actual medical work in each village. Sign-up is now until about mid October.

Obviously, earlier applications will have more of a selection on which village to go to (all are great experiences!). In all, I.H.S. will send about 100 volunteers to about 9 or 10 locations. Each operator will receive an orientation booklet plus there will be an optional orientation meeting about the first week of December. For some basic info, visit our tiny Web site: www.IHSOFMN.org For more info from some great guys who have gone before, contact any of the following:

John (KB0UUP)JMKKEK@runestone.net (320-634-4386) in Minnesota....

Charlie (N5TYI) CHARLIE1947@arn.net (806-892-2435) in Texas....

Tony ( KE6JZF) KE6JZF@surfside.net (909-628-2843) in California...."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.