ad: portazero-1

High Power Shortwave - High in the Andes - HCJB

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by AE2EA, May 20, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AE2EA

AE2EA Ham Member QRZ Page

RF engineer Rich Place, WB2JLR, made multiple trips to Ecuador to work at the HCJB shortwave, multi-transmitter site and he relates his experiences with some of the unique challenges associated with operating a high power shortwave transmitter at a high, dry elevation, in a remote location near Quito Ecuador.

HCJB, The Voice of The Andes, was the first radio station with daily programming in Ecuador and the first Christian missionary radio station in the world. Much of the high power transmitting equipment was custom designed and built by HCJB staff for this shortwave broadcasting powerhouse.

Mark ~ AE2EA

WD5GWY, N9WFT, WA3VJB and 2 others like this.
  2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for posting the video. I spent many nights in the field while in the military and could count on HCJB for both US news and music in areas where both were non-existent.

I was sad when they pulled the plug, but it was understandable - given their stated mission.

N9WFT and WD5GWY like this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Outstanding! Many thanks.

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice video.
    Thanks.

5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks so much for posting that.
    I have been to the site and this brings back lots of memories.

My European curtain is very similar to the North American curtain that you showed. HCJB's success inspired me to finally build it.

The top element and bottom elements are almost identical spacing and phasing lines vary its direction 30° either side of Center/ similar to what HCJB was using.

Thanks again
    73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" miles of wire in the Air & On the AIR daily

6. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I skipped around but didn't see anything on the audio processsing this station used. Did I miss it?

7. WB2JLR

WB2JLR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn’t find out anything about their audio processing while I was there, but agree it would be interesting to know. I did witness a cool audio thing there. Jim Child’s, a missionary engineer in Quito, wrote software to digitize tape recordings, FFT the waveform, strip off the low level hum and hiss, then D to A the improved audio.