HF found useful

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W1CTC, Aug 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

An obscure H. Ross Perot reference. Love it! :)

2. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, dated myself a bit there.

N2SUB likes this.
  3. K8KJG

K8KJG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Geeze. It's a good thing we had underwater cable back in the 1960s/70s when I was in the Navy so we could pull into a port and call back home for more rum and cannon balls. I guess the Navy wasted two years of sending me to a year of advanced Electronics Technician Communications (ETN) school at Treasure Island, CA, and then another year of advanced electronics "C" schools on the East Coast. Oh well, at least in bad weather we could use those space warming URC-32s, and all those R-1051s to keep from sending the poor signalmen out to send semaphores or flap the flapper on the big lights.

Former CTM-1
    K8KJG

W9FTV likes this.
  4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Indeed...the old Signal Corps is now the Signal Corpse. :( Very sad.

5. KM4DYX

This will cheer you up:

signal_corps.jpg

Attached Files:

6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

OMG! That giant soldier is stomping out that entire town! :eek:

And those linemen on the poles in the middle of a firestorm...

7. KM4DYX

Those who came before us were giants, didn't you know that?

WR2E likes this.
  8. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

Next, maybe the Navy will discover the unheard of MF frequencies for when HF goes out. I can recall the RMs on my ship spending 4 hour watches on MF (CW of course) using a WRT-1. (very reliable radio by the way.)
    Tom WA4ILH

9. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

We never had to bring up an MF circuit - kept everything within the range of the WRT-2. That and the ol' R-390. 1963-1966 wasn't prime time for propagation, but we were always in control.

Well, November 23, 1963 (November 22, stateside) saw not a few RMs watching the incoming news on the RTTY with looks on our faces showing less control than usual...

10. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course, we always had to keep a watch up on 500 KHz but I'm pretty sure we also had an MF circuit up to NAVCOMSTA Londendarry Northern Ireland when we wer in the Med.
    We also coppied the fleet broadcast on LF. Soewhere around 150 KHz ??? It always amazed me how far we could copy the LF broadcast over a water path. When we left Norfolk, we could copy the LF broacast from NAVCOMSTA Norfolk (NAM) all the way across till we entered the Med. Of course, NAM was running about 10 KW on LF. My cruiser, The USS Columbus had 3 WRT-1s and and old WRT-2 which was down half the time. We had 8 URC-32A for HF.
    Tom WA4ILH