ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Helping the handicapped

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Nov 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Eddie Barra writes

Hello to my ham radio family. My name is Eddie Barra(AE2B) and I have a story to tell. Back in 1997 a friend of mine who is a quadraplegic since birth his name is William wise. We went to school together.

He needed an R-7000 assembled adjusted and installed roof top. With help from my friend John Colonna (KB2WFS) and I we both did the work that needed to be done and william was on the air. William offerd to compinsate both John and I with money and no way was I going to take it!!I told William (My brother thats what ham is all about)!! People helping people brothers helping brothers.

William is a general class holder but I fotgot his call sign. Well to present. I was with the Railroad for 15 years and was forced to leav and go out on a permanent disibility due to a crppleing back injury in 1997.

I have been under a massive rebuild since nov of 1997 everything from titanium in my back to tendon and muscle relocation in my lowerleggs and feet with a total of 7 surgeries to keep me walking (though it is limited) this being no.5 in 11-01 which leeds me to this story.

My friend Ray Higgins (W2RE)was my payback for helping William I believe. I needed my rotor changed and being in a cast and disabled to boot no way was I able to go top side and do tower work. I paid bucket truck guys and they never finished the job(TYPICAL).

Ray donated his time and tools to do the job that had to be done. Ray was my god send and I believe that helping william back in 1997 it finally came back to me!! This is a true story of hams helping hams. Brothers helping brothers. I pray that there is alot more giving and understanding guys in our ham world that will donate there time to the disabled and helpless as well as the needy.

Never in my life would I have thought I would be disabled but it happened. Thank god for people like Ray who helped me i'm back on the air.

Well 73 to all and god Bless

Eddie Barra, AE2B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.