ad: elecraft

HEDY LAMARR DAY 2023

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W2JLD, Nov 3, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Come one come all to the 8th annual HEDY LAMARR DAY celebration

HEDY LAMARR DAY 2023

Join us for the original “HEDY LAMARR DAY NET”

[​IMG]

For the 8th straight year running we will celebrating HEDY LAMARR DAY ON NOVEMBER 9TH 2023

This special event net will be on at 9am pst/12pm est, (17:00 UTC)

Help us celebrate her accomplishments and of course her 109th Birthday.

As we celebrate her technological advancements in Ham Radio and
    of course her silver screen roles in many movies she did throughout her career.

Join us and have fun and check in

ECHOLINK on the *ROC-HAM* Conference Server Node 531091
    ALLSTAR Nodes 2585, 47620, 47918, 531310
    DMR TGIF Talk Group 2585
    DMR Extended Freedom Network Talk Group 2585
    Extended Freedom Network SIP Portal 2585

The net which will run for 4 hours or longer depending on the number of stations checking in.

For the second time ever, we will be doing a hf side for this net. If you have HF you can join me on 20 Meters at 14.313 to celebrate Hedy Lamarr Day. Stop by and checkin and get a QSL Card.....we will be using netlogger for this event...so look for HEDY LAMARR DAY 2023/HF 20 Meters 14.313

See you then.

[​IMG]

In 2022 we had a very successful event.

UPDATE - IF YOU REQUESTED A SPECIAL EVENT QSL AND HAVE NOT SENT YOUR S.A.S.E. OR DID THE PAYPAL OPTION, PLEASE DO SO A.S.A.P..

We recorded 150 checkins, international stations from Argentina, Austria, Australia, Germany, New Zealand, India, Slovenia, UK, checked in. We recorded several people who requested qsl cards…this was by far the MOST successful Hedy Lamar Day special event.

THANK YOU TO THE HAM RADIO COMMUNITY!! AND MOST OF ALL THANK YOU TO THE FINE YL’S THAT MADE IT SUCH A GREAT SUCCESS!!!!

After 8 hours of the net I have come to realize that the ham radio community really embraced the life and times of Hedy Lamarr.

It was by far one of the highlights of the year.

You guys did an amazing job and I’m very proud to have such a fine group of net controllers for this event.
    The feedback that I received after the net and during was great, people thoroughly enjoyed what they were hearing. We had checkins from all over the US and of course we had checkins from afar.

I can not relay to you how much I personally appreciate the time and effort each one of you took for this net. Your dedication goes without saying and this could not have gone on if not for your professionalism and your personal dedication ensuring a great successful special event.

Here is some great info about HEDY LAMARR you may not have known:

Hedy Lamarr: 58 unknown facts about the actress and inventor!

1. Hedwig Eva Maria Kiesler was born 9 November 1914 in Vienna, Austria-Hungary.

2. She is the only child of Gertrud “Trude” Kiesler and Emil Kiesler.

3. Her father was born to a Jewish family in Lemberg (now Lviv in Ukraine) and was a successful bank director.

4. Her mother was a pianist and Budapest native who came from an upper-class Jewish family; she had converted from Judaism to Catholicism and was described as a “practicing Christian”, who raised her daughter as a Christian.

5. Lamarr helped get her mother out of Austria (then under Nazi domination) and to the United States. Her mother later became a United States citizen.

6. Gertrud Kiesler put “Hebrew” as her race on her petition for naturalization as a United States citizen. She would live out the rest of her life in California, dying in 1977 at age 83.

7. In the late 1920s, Lamarr was discovered as an actress and brought to Berlin by producer Max Reinhardt.[​IMG] Following her training in the theater, [​IMG] she returned to Vienna, where she began to work in the film industry, first as a script girl, and soon as an actress.

8. In early 1933, at age 18, she starred in Gustav Machatý’s film, Ecstasy[​IMG] (Ekstase in German, Extase in Czech), which was filmed in Prague, Czechoslovakia. Lamarr’s role was that of a neglected young wife married to an indifferent older man. The film became notorious for showing Lamarr’s face in the throes of orgasm as well as close-up and brief nude scenes[​IMG] in which she is seen swimming and running through the woods.

9. On 10 August 1933, Lamarr married Friedrich Mandl, [​IMG] an Austrian military arms merchant and munitions manufacturer who was reputedly the third-richest man in Austria.

10. Lamarr was 18 years old [​IMG]and Mandl was 33. In her autobiography Ecstasy and Me, Lamarr described Mandl as an extremely controlling husband who strongly objected to her simulated orgasm scene in Ecstasy, and prevented her from pursuing her acting career.

KP4JM likes this.