ad: MyersEng-1

Hawaii Amateur Radio Operator Activates Uninhabited Hawaiian Island 10 day each month

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KH6OWL, Nov 4, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KH6OWL

KH6OWL Guest

From the ARRL Pacific Section Pubic Information Officer.

Amateur Radio Operator Eric Brundage (KH6EB) is on Kaho`olawe Island for 10 days every month operating from the base camp which supports the state's efforts to restore the island. Eric and one assistant run the base camp, which is an old Navy facility. They maintain the buildings and vehicles, generate power, and ensure fresh water is made from seawater using reverse osmosis.

During his free time in the evenings and mornings, Eric operates using a KX3 with KPA-100 amp on 20 meters as soon as he gets his KIO hex beam antenna erected. You can contact Eric to set up a schedule, but he will generally be on the air from 0600 to 0700 Hawaii Standard Time (HST), 1700 to 1900 and 2000 to 2300 HST. The next time Eric will be on the island is from November 7th to the 16th, and after that December 12th to the 21st.

Kaho`olawe is a rare location because access to the island is restricted due to the presence of Unexploded Ordnance leftover from military training activities. All of the Hawaiian Islands use IOTA OC-19. Kaho`olawe Island is in Grid Square BL10, which is the same as the island of Maui. Kaho’olawe has no permanent residents so this is a great time to make that a contact. The U.S Islands Awards Program recognizes Kaho’olawe as number HI026S.

Special KH6EB QSLs celebrating this very rare island contact can be earned by QSOs with him on 14.265 SSB, PSK31 (14.070), and JT65 (14.076). Eric is currently only operating on 20 meters. All contacts can be confirmed via eQSL, LOTW, or direct.

Kahoʻolawe is located about seven miles southwest of Maui and southeast of Lanai. The island is 11 miles long and 6.0 miles wide, with a total land area of 44.97 square miles.

Kahoʻolawe has always been sparsely populated, due to its lack of fresh water. During World War II, Kahoʻolawe was used as a training ground and bombing range by the Armed Forces of the United States. After decades of protests, the U.S. Navy ended live-fire training exercises on Kahoolawe in 1990, and the whole island was transferred to the jurisdiction of the state of Hawaii in 1994. The Hawaii State Legislature established the Kaho`olawe Island Reserve to restore and oversee the island and its surrounding waters. Today Kaho`olawe can be used only for Native Hawaiian cultural, spiritual, and subsistence purposes.

Eric says he will do his best to accommodate those who want to make a Kaho`olawe contact. Eric can be reached via email at wh6eey@gmail.com.

Blog: https://oahuarrlnews.wordpress.com

Attached Files:

2. WA9PIE

WA9PIE QRZ Lifetime Member #305 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This is wonderful. Hoping someone will row out to Kure soon. I need that one.

3. AA7WB

AA7WB Ham Member QRZ Page

IIRC, I watched the Navy do live fire exercises there from my balcony at Sheridan's Black Rock Resort Around 1987.

4. W6SDM

W6SDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very good article. I live in Hawaii for years and didn't know the full story behind Kahoʻolawe. I will be listening for KH6EB.

5. K6EL

K6EL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The high point on this island is a SOTA summit, which I designated KH6/KL-001 when I co-founded Sota-Hawai'i in 2013. Access is highly restricted, so I'm elated that it might get activated.... Eric is going to ask permission to operate from the top. In the meantime, feel free to activate the high point on the island of Lanai, owned by Larry Ellison and not restricted. You could be the first, as no one has done it yet. Go to www.sota.org.uk.... Elliott, K6EL

6. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Go0d for him. The island, as AA7WB indicated, is quite visible from Maui, even easier on a snorkeling trip to Molokini (another closed island). It's sort of like Desecho or Navassa on a much smaller scale. Glad somebody is operating there. Now about Niihau....

7. WH6ECP

WH6ECP Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice! I just got my HF rig back up. I wrote my thesis was about Kaho`olawe

K3RW likes this.
  8. AH6LE

AH6LE Ham Member QRZ Page

Da kine. where stay bands?