ad: HamHats-1

HamSCI Presents the Solar Eclipse QSO Party– October 14, 2023

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WX2R, Aug 3, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WX2R

WX2R Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Join with thousands of your fellow amateurs as part of the largest crowd-sourced contest for ham radio scientific exploration ever! The SEQP is for learning more about how the ionosphere works. Use any mode, any band for all or part of each day! Participation can be from everywhere – you need not be near the path of either eclipse to contribute valuable data by participating.

For details on the SEQP contest and rules go to www.hamsci.org/contest-info.

For the Gladstone Signal Spotting Challenge using CW, WSPR and FST4W modes go to www.hamsci.org/contest-info.

If you’re an SWL or AM DX’er, there is an event for you as well! Go to www.hamsci.org/mw-recordings/.

Save the dates!

Get on the air!

Send in your logs!

Do it for science!!

HamSCI serves as a means for fostering collaboration between professional researchers and amateur radio operators. It assists in developing and maintaining standards and agreements between all people and organizations involved. Its goals are to advance scientific research and understanding through amateur radio activities and encourage the development of new technologies to support this research.

For more information about HamSCI, please visit the HamSCI website. For more information about the Festivals of Eclipse Ionospheric Science educational opportunities for the amateur community and the public please visit our information pages.

Ed Efchak, Public Information Officer

pressrelations@hamsci.org

Attached Files:

N6NDC, VK5FUSE, W2CSI and 3 others like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll be operating from Durango Colorado where the pike of the eclipse comes through.

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" miles of wire in the Air & On the AIR daily

WO8USA likes this.
  3. WX2R

WX2R Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks much!! Will look for you on the air!!

Ed Efchak WX2R

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad to see this coming to fruition:)

5. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

I won't be operating anything except cameras. I will be in middle Texas right under totality like I was for North Carolina and I will not be worried about radio or talking to anyone. I will be taking in the Eclipse for the awesome experience it is. Here is my video from the last Eclipse when I was in Murphy North Carolina.

This video is worth 5 mins of your time if youve never experienced an Eclipse. I filmed the whole event from start to finish when the Umbra came over and left. The passing of the shadow is the most amazing part of the whole event. Its like someone turned a light switch on.

KC5JSR, KD2BBC, N7VGO and 1 other person like this.
  6. KB1MM

KB1MM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll wait for the 2024 eclipse...totality will be over my house in Missouri. The 2023 eclipse will be 60% at my place...still pretty cool.

K0UO likes this.
  7. K5RIX

K5RIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the heads-up! Hopefully the weather in Corpus Christi will be clear on 10/14/23. I'll have every radio going centered on 24 hours.
    Thanks again! 73 - Ric

8. WD5ENH

WD5ENH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I will be at the center of the both solar eclipse at my QTH. On Octber 14 2023 and April 8 2024

9. VU2DSI

VU2DSI Ham Member QRZ Page

I am DATTA,VU2DSI from India. I will be on the radio on 14 & also one week before & after it.I will put all the qso.s along with the solar indices & forward the details to you. Of course the eclipse is not visible from India, I will do this exercise. Regards & 73.
    DATTA. VU2DSI.
    vu2dsi@gmail.com

10. KN4USA

KN4USA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Would be nice if there were a link to the contest page that worked....

11. W1MRC

W1MRC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The link has been working for me for the past 30 minutes.

12. KD2BBC

KD2BBC QRZ Lifetime Member #587 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks for sharing this great video

the SONG is like something out of the body experience
    Finally something that got my mind not thinking of Ham Radio or anything else materialistically talking
    And the images are like watching a SCI FI movie

you made my day

thank you so much

WOW that was

A
    M
    A
    Z
    I
    N
    G

73 de

KD2BBC

Supremium Amateur Radio Station

Miguel Ferrier

KK4YDR likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Be careful not to get your hopes up VISUALLY for the Oct 2023 eclipse.

It is an ANNULAR solar eclipse--not a total one. That means VISUALLY the sky will dim a bit , and shadows will be interesting, but you CANNOT LOOK AT THE ECLIPSE BY EYE AT ANY TIME. Essentially you should treat it the same way you observe a PARTIAL eclipse.

The most prudent way of capturing this annular eclipse is with a telescope with a hydrogen alpha filter==expensive but highly detailed for image capture, AND safe to the eye.

From a radio science perspective, the annular eclipse is still very interesting, because MOST of the UV and X ray emission gets temporarily blocked and there will indeed be ionospheric effects.

KD4AYU likes this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW, the 'ring of fire' eclipse moniker is not up to the hype visually. You WILL need a filter and should NEVER be misled into thinking the 'ring' is OK to look at without major filtering to block most of the light.

You can get 'eclipse' kits from many sources. My preference is milehighastro.com.

15. K2GSP

K2GSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I shot this picture in Tennessee during the last eclipse. I'm planning on shooting the 24 eclipse in Arkansas.

[​IMG]

NJ1P, W2CSI, W7WGC and 2 others like this.