ad: Flexradio-1

HamSCI Presents the Solar Eclipse QSO Party– October 14, 2023

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WX2R, Aug 3, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NT0D

NT0D Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Any advice on a logging or contesting program to use?

2. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We were dead center for the 2017 eclipse at a state park. Great experience because they closed the campground area to only registered campers so it wasn't crowded at all. Got some great photos from the beach.

K2GSP and W1YW like this.
  3. W0DN

W0DN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You in the bootheel ?

4. KB1MM

KB1MM Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope, Howell county, about 60 miles due west and a few miles north of the bootheel...Howell county is just north of the MO/AR state line.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2023
    W0DN likes this.
  5. W0DN

W0DN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll be at the Cape watching it !
    73-Hank

KB1MM likes this.
  6. KB1MM

KB1MM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be in my back field with no crowds :)

73~Tim

W0DN likes this.
  7. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Alas, those of us in Central VA will most likely not see anything of this year's eclipse, but the one in 2024 we stand a pretty good chance of seeing something, at least according to the NASA published tracks.

8. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In 2017, I ended up in Cerulean, KY for the greatest total width of totality. (Greatest total length-of-time was near Carbondale, IN)

Snagged this photo with a meager digital camera and a thin foil-like filter that I got for $5 at B&H Photo. I'm very pleased it actually worked!

Good luck eclipse-rs in October. I will likely miss this one, but for sure be present in 2024!

IMG_4052.JPG

K2GSP likes this.
  9. K2GSP

K2GSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great shot.

10. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

That is an amazing photo and what I like most about it is that if you look at the top right and bottom right of the light ring you can see parts of the fury of a main sequence star shooting out into space. Those prominences that we see just barely coming past the disk of the moon are larger than the Earth.

Is that little, tiny orange dot a few inches below the sun (scale of the photo), Mercury by chance? You might have captured a planet in view or it could be just a visual anomaly in your camera's sensor.

K2GSP likes this.
  11. VK2NNW

VK2NNW Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in 2002 I saw a total solar eclipse from Ceduna in South Australia. Totality lasted only 32 seconds but the view was absolutely amazing.

N6SPP likes this.