ad: Schulman-1

HamRadioNow: Angry Radio Relay League

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Jan 31, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You may be right but if Gary swears he doesn't make money on his videos I will believe him.
    This was posted on his video addressed to me:

Radio OH2DX
    Hi Burt This 'style' of video production is not uncommon with many Pro Hams on YTube. In this way they can generate a lot of content hours , very regularly , which the YTube algorithm likes and rewards without actually creating true and well thought out content. I make a 20 minute video and it takes 2 weeks to make ,, other guys sit in front of a Mic and ramble on with whatever pops out of their head. YTube rewards mindless drivel as it is attractive to the average person who is a smart as a gnat. So to any Ham out there that wants to become famous (in their own mind) on a failing social media site , all they need to do is talk gibberish for hours , and they are set

KE0GXN, WF9Q and (deleted member) like this.
  2. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

The non-monetized versus monetized setting is not exposed for the public to see. Even if they are not monetized in the beginning nothing is stopping them to change to monetized once the traffic increases.

It is a real simple solution if they are serious about what they are doing.

Set up their own website with their own funds and money from those that are loyal to the content they produce. Its extremely easy and painless to get your own website, its cheap too. It costs more per month for the adobe subscription so the video can be edited, assuming they clean it up...

3. W0AQ

W0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

But why would they have to do that? Just so someone doesn't think it's monetized? Besides, regardless of whether content is monetized or not, you will get more views on YouTube than you will on a standalone website that people don't know about.

From what I am reading, it's like you are saying that there is something intrinsically wrong with being on YouTube.

There's a lot of stuff on YouTube that I don't like or doesn't interest me. Simple solution: I don't watch it. There is stuff on YouTube that I do like, so, I watch it. Same as TV.

What can be wrong with it? I believe that YouTube gives people a forum to produce content and gather subscribers. Most are unlikely to ever make money from it. If these guys have a channel and say they don't monetize it, more power to them. I've never watched one of their videos, but if people do, it doesn't bother me.

W9EBE likes this.
  4. W0DHG

W0DHG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your feedback Fred... Troll elsewhere please. Your input's not informed, intelligent, or coherent. You are not a follower, don't have any clue as to what we do.

What we do:
    We have our own website, where intelligent ham's follow and watch our OVER 450 episodes.
    We do offer YOUTUBE (NON-Monetized.... I get it, your not willing to listen or be open to a few hams that love the hobby and spend our time, without compensation)
    Interview interesting Ham Radio operators or cover interesting events, like this talk based on our interest, as we think that it's important to cover.

Otherwise FLAME OFF... Your not worth my time... If you cant listen and your mind's made up, good for you. Otherwise, again I will ask you to spin the dial and take your bullshit elsewhere.

K4AAQ likes this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice vest! Are they available in camo?

1 person likes this.
  6. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have no reason not to believe Gary or David if they say the show is not monetized.

Furthermore what lends credibility to that claim is the fact that they don’t pimp the audience for superchats, pateron, channel memberships, etc or point you to some merch store where sycophants can buy hats, shirts and who knows what else with their logo on it for a profit.

On the other hand I can understand where you are coming from as there are very few ham radio YT people who do not try to use the audience as a hustle under the guise that they are there solely to help with absolutely no pecuniary interests…..:rolleyes:

I have no reason to believe HRN is in that category.

7. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Their actions speak for themselves.

Click bait, yt, if they have an actual website why did they post the yt link.

I don't believe anything they are saying. Notice how they respond when they are being called out.

8. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Some folks just need to spin the dial. Let's please stop the unnecessary bickering. Thanks.

............Bob

W9EBE and (deleted member) like this.
  9. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, they do. I know you think I'm an idiot. I said we don't monetize, and YouTube still runs ads before our videos. That's how they make money for all the servers and bandwidth. We could monetize and get a small slice of that income. Emphasis: small. We don't.

Here's what YouTube says about that: "... ads can now appear on videos from channels not in the YouTube Partner Program (YPP), and we will begin gradually placing ads on brand safe videos. This is part of our ongoing investments in new solutions, like Home Feed ads, that help advertisers responsibly tap into the full scale of YouTube to connect with their audiences and grow their businesses." https://blog.youtube/news-and-events/updates-to-youtubes-terms-of-service/

10. K4AAQ

Thanks for the support!

Of the monetization options you mention, we do have one: a Patreon link. Well, two - direct credit card contributions. That's on our website: https://www.hamradionow.tv/contribute. The money goes to David W0DHG.

We don't make a big deal about it. I used to spend a minute or two at the top and bottom of most shows asking viewers to 'click the pig' if they liked the content. I was earning about $10,000 a year between that and directed contributions to produce video for the TAPR conferences. All of that went to expenses - equipment, web hosting, bandwidth, and mostly travel.

When I left the show in 2018, I immediately cancelled all direct, monthly contributions via credit cards. We left the Patreon up, and David added a credit card connection of his own. But with limited production (and no conference/hamfest connections), contributions dwindled.

We still have a few contributors who are covering the website expense. You may hear us making a little more noise about contributions in the future, as our computers are reaching 'end of Windows 10 life'. And we may start hitting some hamfests again - I don't have the cash to do that.

Oh, and we did have a bit of 'merch' - a local ham asked if he could provide 'logo-wear' and a coffee mug. Sure, why not? I'd make a buck or two from sales (I said not to bother with that). He's not in business anymore, but I left the page on the website for... what... nostalgia?

Some of our 'competition' are now making ham radio programs as their full-time business/income (especially in the COVID era). Early on, I'd hoped to do something like that (the phrase "$10 a year from 10,000 hams" appears in many of the early shows). If Josh and Jason can make a go of that, more power to 'em! If viewers can get jazzed up enough to pay $10 for getting their chat-room post to stand out... I don't get it, but cool. I'm OK with that, too

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  11. K4AAQ

The YouTube link takes you directly to the video. Going to the website adds friction. I did post the website link in the OP, but here it is, since you seemed to ask: https://HamRadioNow.tv

12. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for informing me. I do not think you are an idiot. I think your videos are disorganized and rambling, but the technology is excellent. Even if you made money, I have no issue.
    I am the actual idiot as I thought a SX-130 was in poor condition but I had plugged it in to an isolation transformer not realizing it was set to 75 volts.
    I do believe you that you make no money from the videos.

13. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

The RSGB's latest big trouble was a wayward (then) General Manager, back in 2011, who repaid a substantial amount of money to the society after irregularities were discovered. This was symptomatic of general lack of oversight and accountability at the society, which led to another problem at around the same time of the purchase of a massively-expensive Luso tower that, after the inevitable failure to secure planning permission to erect it on the historical grounds of Bletchley Park, had to be sold off at a huge loss.

Lack of diversity was a factor in these events, because if they chose widely, they would be more likely to get someone who would call out things that are not right.

Lack of diversity in the RSGB also became a concern recently, when a very talented commercial comms engineer resigned from the board. I wrote about that here.

K6CLS likes this.
  14. K3DFD

K3DFD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess its hard to change old ways. I was fortunate enough to visit Bletchley just this past September. I spent a morning at the National Radio Center. I'm also a member of the ARRL and RSGB. Having worked for over 30 years in state government here in Pennsylvania, I suppose I'm fairly used to a certain amount of political nonsense. Doesn't make it easy though.

MW1CFN likes this.
  15. K3DFD

K3DFD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If a content provider makes money, where does it come from? I know I don't pay for anyone's channel and I watch a bunch of Hams doing their YouTube thing. I have my own channel called ErnieTech and I produce some content monthly. If I make money, I sure have no idea where comes from and where it goes. And if I have it's been about 32 cents or almost that.