ad: QSLWorks-1

HamRadioNow #343: TOTALED!!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Aug 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Attached Files:

N5OCO, KD5BVX and KQ6XA like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Lo Rez from near Franklin, KY...montage (Hi rez is committed to canvas...) ;-)

ECLIPSEACTUALMONTAGElorez.jpg

Second, for a text book---also low rez...

eclipsemontage2clowrez.jpg

Wish I had brought a 600mm lens!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    KQ6XA and KD4MOJ like this.
  3. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

I traveled to an observation site in eastern Oregon, slightly south the center line but within the totality path, for the eclipse. I chose this location 18 months ago after researching lowest statistical probability of cloud cover. It paid off with a wonderful clear sky on the eclipse day. The advantage of being not exactly on the center line is the viewpoint which emphasizes and prolongs an effect known as "Bailys beads"... which I wanted to experience and possibly capture in a photo. The effect only lasts for a few seconds, but can last much longer near the edges of the path of the umbra.

[​IMG]

After seeing several partial eclipses before, this was my first total eclipse. Here's what I learned:
    • Seeing the total eclipse is a totally different thing from a partial eclipse.
    • Even a 90% partial eclipse is not anything like a total eclipse.
    • There's no other astronomical event that compares to a total solar eclipse.

North Americans who missed seeing the total eclipse will get another chance, 7 years from now (08 April 2024) but the statistical probability of cloud cover is poor for many zones in the 2024 totality path.

HF Radio Propagation
    Out of curiosity, I was active on HF (14MHz, 10MHz, 7MHz, 5MHz) shortly before and after the eclipse, with my HF mobile.
    I made a few contacts using ALE on several bands. Also, I checked reception of WWV and WWVH on all the standard frequencies.
    I personally noticed no change in HF propagation that I could attribute to the eclipse.
    HF propagation was generally very poor that day, as it had been for a week prior.

Photography and Viewing
    On the other hand, the visible total eclipse was fantastic!
    While the telescope was a very good way to see the fine details of the eclipse and photograph it, I found that my high power binoculars and naked eye provided the best personal experience of it. The depth of a stereo view is breathtaking.

[​IMG]
    Total eclipse photo showing Bailys beads and prominences on 21 August 2017 by Bonnie Crystal. Single exposure, visible light, single frame, no processing, no filter. 80mm refractor telescope, 2.5x barlow, Sony a300, Celestron AVX equatorial solar tracking mount.

[​IMG]
    Total eclipse photo showing corona and prominences, 21 August 2017 by Bonnie Crystal. Single exposure, visible light, single frame, no processing, no filter. 80mm refractor telescope, 2.5x barlow, Sony a300, Celestron AVX equatorial solar tracking mount.

Heavy Traffic in Eclipse Zones
    The eclipse traffic prediction map, that I originally made in April 2017 for a Cloudy Nights forum post, had over 500k hits. It turned out to be quite accurate, as proven out by actual traffic patterns recorded by mobile Google Map users on the day of the eclipse. The map was utilized by over 400 websites, including space dot com and cnet , etc.

"Solar Eclipse 2017 Highway Traffic Map" Google map of predicted traffic density on highways crossing the 2017 Solar Eclipse Path.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    W4SH, KD5BVX, N4FZ and 3 others like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Bonnie is absolutely right-- there is nothing that turns on ALL the emotions at once like a total eclipse. You feel like you have touched heaven and slump empty and incomplete at the end of totality.

No words...

Excellent shots Bonnie!

N9JLF and KQ6XA like this.
  5. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely amazing pictures, Bonnie, nice job!!

KQ6XA likes this.
  6. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Perfectly clear skies in Jefferson, OR.

[​IMG]

KQ6XA, N4FZ and W1YW like this.
  7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Bonnie, where were you? I was 20mi east and slightly north of Seneca OR.

Same results on HF. I took one photo, otherwise never took my eyes off it.

I gotta say, photos do not really show how amazing is the real thing with my eyes. I am hooked. When's the next one?I'm leaving tomorrow.

Took all week driving back to east bay, traffic was fine, but staying ahead of the smoke from the wildfires was real trouble!! I think half of Oregon is burning!

KQ6XA likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

April 8 2024. C'mon down to Kentucky!

KQ6XA likes this.
  9. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

ND4XE, W4REQ, and KA4KOE went to Orangeburg, SC......

I opted to travel light with only a camera/tripod. Left my 8" F/4 Vixen at home as I figured the last thing I wanted to do was to fool around with that monster in the heat.

I inserted music into this edited version as frankly folks might think I had lost my mind when it went dark. If you haven't witnessed a total solar eclipse, then you wouldn't understand. Eclipses are literally visceral events for first timers.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    KQ6XA and W1YW like this.
  10. KQ6XA

Your totality corona photo is wonderful, even at low rez.
    The size, depth, and texture of the corona visible to the eye is something that is very difficult to capture with a camera.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  11. KQ6XA

I was about 80 miles east of you.
    You saw the eclipse 3 minutes before me :)

12. KQ6XA

Wonderful video! Thanks for posting it.
    I noticed that you caught Regulus there during the totality when the camera opened up the iris.

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

eclipsemeteor.jpg
    Thanks Bonnie,

As an astronomer, I would not qualify it as "photometric". What's there is real, but the relative magnitudes are skewed for aesthetic detail.

It is a mask of two shots, one over the other, both of totality. This increases the gradient for dynamic range in the mids, decreasing saturation and bloom of the mids, and enhances eye-perceived differences in surface brightness. Essentially it is an 'compander' algorithm for the mids. In theory you can do this with the 'curves' function in photoshop, but that also blooms the noise. Two shots masked mitigate the noise.

There is actually a face-on meteor that was captured in the corona from my location in KY. I will blow it up from the hi rez and show:) (above). I have rotated image. Showed up in two shots but not before or after. Regulus?:) I cropped out before going that many solar radii in angle...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    KQ6XA likes this.
  14. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a picnic, right? I'll bring the ants.

W1YW likes this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Another one...this one for teaching purposes; feel free to use.

SKIEDmontagemaster.jpg

N9JLF and KQ6XA like this.