ad: M2Ant-1

Hametiquette - How to tune politely

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K9OL, Jan 26, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K9OL

K9OL Ham Member QRZ Page

A little video on how to use your tuner politely.

WB3EYB, AI7PM, KB0FUL and 1 other person like this.
  2. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish more of these topics were covered for the exams.

K0UO and AG5CK like this.
  3. N3QAM

N3QAM Ham Member QRZ Page

one issue I have is that I tune the VFO to a clear frequency, after i hit the tune button, then all of a sudden there are signals there. Obviously when you are way off tune, the receiver will be deaf due to a gross mismatch, but the point im making is not all tune ups are intentionally inconsiderate or ignorant operating ( if you will )

PY2NEA likes this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well...I can sum it up pretty easily: Tune the antenna tuner with 5 or 10 watts on a clear frequency. If you're tuning your amp, get on the exciter first and ask if the frequency is in use. :)

K0UO likes this.
  5. N3QAM

That’s the best part of the auto tuner interfaces to my rig. When you hit tune on the software , it’s automatically 10 watts

6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, mine too...though I've told myself that if my legal limit auto-tuner ever goes up in a ball of fire, I'm going back to a manual Palstar...really not that much trouble to turn down the drive these days. :)

7. N3QAM

sometimes going back to knobs and dials gets confusing when you haven’t done it for a while

8. W5ARM

W5ARM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

While the concepts and ideas of this video are great (being polite and considerate of others, while on the air)... I actually feel kind of dumber after watching.

In the first example, the station that was "tuning" WAS actually off frequency... just not far enough off, to be out of the receiver's pass, and thus, the very high-pitched hetrodyne tone.

I personally use an external auto-tuner (Palstar HF-Auto), and I use AM mode at 5-watts to tune. Furthermore, once frequencies are tuned and stored [in the turner's memory], just a "pulse" of RF power is required to recall/retune to a known frequency. Even when I was using my manual tuner (and a manual amplifier) I always kept a cheat-sheet handy, with my freq and tune settings. This made re-tuning very quick, and without interrupting or disrupting anyone.

I have never understood why guys need to throw out a 30-second (or longer) carrier to tune a rig...? It all boils down to on-air etiquette, something many hams seem to have have forgotten (or perhaps, never learned!)

PY2NEA likes this.
  9. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. I guess I've been spoiled by the newer rigs with built-in tuners. You can't get them to do that when they have already found a good match. I'm also not sure many hams understand that a carrier is being generated on the antenna.

This is yet another topic that should be on the exams. So much of the exams are rules and circuitry but there's minimal mention of operating behavior.

N3ZKI, PY2NEA and W5ARM like this.