ad: elecraft

HAM: The Next Generation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD7NEW, Oct 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD7NEW

KD7NEW Ham Member QRZ Page

Since I was 12, I was always interested in having my voice travel over air. It astonished me  that people could hear music in their cars by tuning into "thin air!" I became facinated  with my uncle's CB radio in his pickup. One day, when I was about 14 or 15, we were taking  care of some spring cleaning (taking a truckload of things to the local dump, actually) and  I saw his CB in there again. I started playing with it, and that's when he told me about his  radio that was "lifetimes better" than any CB. He started to tell me about "ham radio." Now,  I had heard the term before, but I never had a basic understanding about what it was.

A few days later, he took me into his shack. We sat down, and I was amazed at the amount of  electronics that surrounded me. He proceded to flip a bunch of switches, turned a dial, and  soon he started talking into the mic. "CQ CQ CQ This is K7AZG... Kilo-Seven-Alfa-Zulu-Golf  calling CQ CQ CQ.." and so on. Pretty soon, someone answered back... From UTAH! Now, mind  you, I was very young at the time, not to mention this was my first experience with ham  radio, but all I knew was that I never talked to anyone in Utah on a CB!

Well, years went by, and I was determined to get my ham radio licence. I studied and I  studied, but could never get my licence because 1) I had no transportation, and 2) I lived  out in the middle of nowhere. Eventually, when I was 18, I hurried and crammed for my  no-code tech (Going into it, I was ready for my code, but I choked). I passed my written  exam far better than I thought I would! Yes! I had my ticket!

Well, a few months later, I left for U.S. Navy Basic Training in Great Lakes, Ill. After  over a year, I have settled in to the Navy life aboard USS ABRAHAM LINCOLN (CVN-72), where I  am now forward deployed. When we left, I had started studying for my General class exam,  code and all (I'll get it this time!).

But I have to be honest: I'm wondering if it is worth it. My uncle Mike (K7AZG), my "Elmer"  as it were, taught me the best things about ham radio. The friends he's made, how Hams are  respectful of their own kind, and the self-policing aspect that makes it SOOO much better  than that CB I ogled as a kid.

After reading the articles various people have posted at QRZ.com, I wonder... Is it all  gone? Is ham radio on its way out? I have to say that most of the things I have read on here  are very discouraging. Malicious interference, impropoer repeater usage, unmanned  broadcasting stations, outlaw 10m truckers... are you serious!? And the list goes on and on,  too! No wonder the younger generation isn't getting into this. Why buy en expensive radio,  let alone make one, when we can just hop on dad's computer and use Yahoo! Chat or Hotmail!?  There's no reason for kids to do this anymore, unless they're like I was, with a love of  radio and an urge to learn all about it.

Is the "ham" a dying breed? Turning into glorified CB operators? Is it too late to make the  bands like they used to be, in the stories I've heard and read?

I still have that childhood amazement with radio to this day, and the people I've talked to  have encouraged me in not only upgrading my licence, but in life. I just hope the end  doesn't come as soon as I think.

Aaron - KD7NEW

2. KC8OZJ

KC8OZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KD7NEW @ Oct. 05 2002,02:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Why buy an expensive radio,  let alone make one, when we can just hop on dad's computer and use Yahoo! Chat or Hotmail!?

Hi Aaron. Very good post. You can also use Echo-link on the computer. I also have the same views you do about ham radio. I think I will stay as an avid SWL.

73, John KC8OZJ

3. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KD7NEW @ Oct. 05 2002,02:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is the "ham" a dying breed? Turning into glorified CB operators? Is it too late to make the  bands like they used to be, in the stories I've heard and read?

I still have that childhood amazement with radio to this day, and the people I've talked to  have encouraged me in not only upgrading my licence, but in life. I just hope the end  doesn't come as soon as I think.

Aaron - KD7NEW[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The answers are probably "yes."  

One of the things most notable about progress is it doesn't go backward.  Another thing is, it is progress for some, but not for all.  

There is no way to recapture the glory of the ham radio you knew.  It is gone.  The problem with saying that is immediately many of the newcomers take offense and think we are blaming them.  Really, it is just that the times have changed.  If the restructuring of 1999 had not come along, we were on the self-destruct path anyway.  That was just another step, perhaps another nail in the coffin.  Yet, is it dead or dying?  Not really - it is just morphing.  It is shifting its face, at least for now.  What the future holdes few of us can know, though many of us (and I am one) predict.  That's like the weather - we predict, but it may not be that way at all.

Where did that ham radio go?  Into history, along with gas lights on the street, MGA sports cars, panhead Harleys, and the Piper Cub.  

You must evaluate your desire to pursue ham radio in light of what it is today, not what it was in 1990, or 1970 or 1950.  If you find it attractive to you, then you should follow the hobby, make the effort, do what it takes to upgrade, to be a part of the new ham radio.  If you find it does not appeal to you, then you are right to question whether it is justifiable to make the effort.  You may find you can better direct your energies to other things that will please you more.  

The fact is only you can decide if ham radio is for you as it exists today.  Many will tell you it's great, and that it is on new frontiers.  They are correct about the frontiers.  The question is, in your mind it seems, will it be like it was?  Emphatically, no, never.  So if you want to go back to that Golden Age, sorry to inform you, that is a dream.  It can't be.  If you want to create your own new adventure, then perhaps you can.  But you have to do it in the parameters of what ham radio has become and is yet to become.  

My suggestion is you go ahead and upgrade.  Knowledge acquired is always valuable.  When you find the opportunity, get a radio, an HF radio, or one that covers HF and VHF, and listen around.  Get a used one, or borrow one.  See if what you hear is what you like.  If not, sell the radio and take up photography.  If what you hear makes you happy, then make more effort, get a better radio.  

But you are indeed wasting your time if you hope to get into ham radio the way it was.  It isn't here anymore. And it is never coming back.

Ed

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Aaron!
    Don't let the "Nay-sayers" or grumpies discourage you! There is still magic in Amateur Radio, and in ways the old-timers could never even imagine!
    There's still magic in being able to talk half way around the world, ON YOUR OWN, from that little box on your desk. (Yes, I mean that transceiver&#33[​IMG] No Internet, no nodes, nobody else in between you and that DX station. There's still the personal satisfaction of being able to make that contact without any help along the way. And there's always SSTV to send images, REAL TIME TV on the UHF bands, satellite operations, etc.
    It's all in your perception. I see Amateur Radio existing long into the future. (Unless the grumpies convince everyone there IS no future...)

5. kb1flr

kb1flr Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Aaron,

There is a big difference between what is written about ham radio on the internet and ham radio on the air. You seem keen to get on HF and I would encourage you to. Since you have been working on the code, I would especially suggest you consider trying it rather than letting it lie dormant. A great deal of the spirit of ham radio that you seem to to be seeking is found on the CW portion of the bands.

This is not meant to be a CW vs Phone message. Both are great, as are PSK-31, satellites, etc. I am actually not very good at code, but have been trying hard to get better by using it more often. Every operator I have ever worked on CW has been unfailingly understanding, encouraging and civil.

So don't base your opinion of ham radio on what you read, base it on what you hear on the air. Ham radio is a big family, after all, and you know how families enjoy a good argument.

Hope to work you some day.

73 de KB1FLR, Rick

6. K4FBP

K4FBP Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] Hello Aaron...

Please continue into the World of Ham Radio. I have been hamming since 1962 when I, too was fascinated with voices traveling great distances through the air. My first QSO was a station in Ohio, I was in Wash. DC.

Through the years I have been active and then not so active. The improved technology has made the basics of getting on the air easier. My first station was a National Receiver and a Heathkit DX-60 xmtr that I built myself. I had to have a relay between the RX and the antenna so the DX-60 would not blow up the RX. Now we have transceivers that do that on their own.

I am back active again, after 14 years of no activity. What a thrill it is to "fire-up" in the evening not knowing how far the signal will go or with whom you will be talking. Three nights ago I worked New Zealand from Florida! My best DX yet....even since 1962. Every time I enter my "shack" I depart from today and return to 1962. It's me, my radio and all that blue sky in which to play.

Good luck with the Navy. Hope to "see" you on the HF bands soon!

Vry 73....K4FBP

7. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

I got back into the hobby after many years of absence. It has changed, but all things do. Dying, maybe, but I think more correctly just changing.
    You have many more choices of waht you can do today. And, people are people, you will find some that you disagree with, and others that think just like you.
    I like to ragchew, and don't get involved with contesting.
    And there is a great deal of difference between the No Code Tech license and the General Class as to what is available to you.
    Upgrade and see the difference.

73 Ken

8. K8AG

K8AG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was arriving in and driving around Indianapolis a couple of weeks ago during the recent tornadoes. I had my HT glued to the local repeater handling traffic for the Red Cross. Most cell phones were apparently down, but hams were still able to keep touch across town. There were reports of neighborhoods where 20% of the houses were livable. When problems hit, hams are generally the kind of people to get involved and try to make things better. No matter how "simplified" the exams for licenses become, as hams we can always be of service. After all it is the Amateur Radio Service. Maybe getting involved in RACES os another service organization would be a good idea.

9. N8QGC

N8QGC Ham Member QRZ Page

Aaron,

Don't give up hope. It's funny but as I read your post I thought that I was reading my own story +/- a few things. With me it was my dad's CB radio. I used to site next to him for hours on end and listen as he talked to people all over the southeastern part of Michigan near Detroit. I was amaszed at how like you said, "the voices could be extracted from thin air."

I was first liscensed on Oct 5, 1991 as a no code tech. I proudly wore that title until just recently. I came into the hobby at a time when the "old guard" here in the Detroit area was more often then not, happy to accept us. Us being those darn "NO Coders" or cordless techs among other things that we were called. I resented how I was treated and made the most of my privledges vowing to stay above 30mhz to spite them....

I worked, and still do, low Earth orbit satellites on 2 meter and 70 centimeter FM. Use just my hand held radio and a hand held beam. It's absolutely amazing, and great fun. I especially like to operate from cruise ships while on vacation. If you think that the hobby is dead, fire up from the deck of your ship on a low Earth orbit satellite and you'll know you are wrong. There is so much to do, and so little time to do it.

I recently found myself wanting more. I bit the bullet, and decided to gain my General privledges. Maybe I was wrong about HF. I was liscensed as a General in September 2002. I am so fascinated with what I'm able to do with so little. I run a Kenwood TS-440S with a MFJ 969 antenna tuner, and a G5RV-JR diapole. I generally can work anything that I hear. I have worked many countries in Africa and the Caribbean without even really trying. I can't wait until I get my keyer for morse, ran out of money! I really want to make my first CW contact! See for me I now feel like a more complete ham. I am now working on my Extra.

Get your General, then if you not already become good friends with the ships communications officer. Fire up that gear on your ship and start working the HF bands and see for yourself what I'm telling you. The future is in front of you not behind you! Remember for sure, but change is inevetible and never easy. Just key up from that ship in the middle of some ocean as KD7NEW/Maritime mobile and you'll know that upgrading was the right thing to do and that ham radio is not dead. It's just different then you and I remember.

Hopefully my ramblings have made sense, visit my website if you get the chance at http://www.qsl.net/n8qgc and you'll see what else is possible via satellite for you.

73 ole man hope to catch you on the air, de N8QGC.

10. AG4PM

AG4PM QRZ Member QRZ Page

Stick a fork in it.....it's done.  

The downward spiral of Ham Radio into meaninglessness is picking up speed and hams are fighting over deck chairs.  It does indeed appear as if the 'old guard' will get their way since they would rather see the hobby die than accept changes.  It is truly a shame that the very same folks who added so much to amateur radio could not stand to see it advance.

Here's the true test, a Res ipsa loquitur ("it speaks for itself") if you will:

Go find a repeater or club where they aren't arguing (not disagreeing but arguing) constantly and the members not at each other's throats about the silliest things.  For that matter, find a ham website where the discussion is civil. Go find an HF pileup and listen for courteous behavior versus discourteous behavior.  You'll soon see my point.  For the finest example, wander over to the rec.radio.amateur.misc newsgroup and see the best discussions that hams have to offer.

There are those who will disagree, stating "A few bad apples..." or something to that tune.  The fact of the matter is that if this were true you would rarely find examples of boorish behavior on the air or on the websites or in the newsgroups.  The opposite is the case.  

The result is that a lot of people are selling their equipment and leaving the hobby to the idiots.  The death stroke will be when Yaseu, Icom, et al decide that the profits just aren't enough to justify continued manufacture of ham radios.  You do realize that to the Japanese manufacturers ham radio is just a line of business? And like any line of business, if it doesn't produce a profit the line will go away.

It's only a hobby and who in the heck wants to get in an argument everywhere they go in ham radio?  I don't mind a heated discussion but I, for one, am tired of the bickering.

Oh yeah, I await the ignorant responses that are sure to come.  Something like "Heh, if yew kant stand the heet git off my frequncy girly-man" will suffice to make my point perfectly.

11. KC0LUY

KC0LUY Ham Member QRZ Page

Let us not forget the time-tested principle that a negative experience is ten times more likely to move people to speak out than is a positive experience. I spent 20 years off the air between my days on the "Chicken Band" and getting my No-Code Tech ticket last December. I truely expected little more than a slightly more "adult" form of CB.

I was shocked at how polite and helpful other HAMs were once I finally hit the 2-meter band with my new ticket. I have had a very pleasant experience so far, and I find myself wondering why I waited so long to become a HAM. Like others, I have been fascinated with the "magic" of radio ever since I had my first pocket "transistor" AM radio. The only two reasons that I can come up with for waiting so long are: 1) The difficulty of learning code scared me away 2) No money to spend on radios.

I took my test last November with no intention of ever learning code or getting an upgrade to get on the HF bands. When I took my test and actually met my first HAMs at the VE session, that all changed. They encouraged me to keep going and take the next test. I passed the General exam with flying colors and missed the Extra exam by only a few points. I give credit to my love of radio and electronics and all I learned on my own in the intervening years for being able to pass those tests which I had not even intended to take. Now I am eagerly trying to learn morse code with the hope of getting my upgrade.

Without the encouragement of the first few HAMs that I met that day I might have just turned out to be another "No-Code" Tech playing a more mature adult version of the CB game, because that is all I really was looking for. In the end, it is ALL OF US HAMs that are responsible for encouraging new HAMs and awakening that love of radio or electronics that brought them to HAM radio in the first place.

As long as there are good HAMs whom wish to encourage and share their love of radio with others, HAM radio will never die off. When we give up and tell ourselves that it is all over, then HAM radio will die. To be sure, it will never be the way it was, but on the other hand nothing ever stays the same anyway. Changes can be for the good, but we have to *choose* that...

Please don't judge HAM radio by what you hear about it or the petty arguements you hear on the INTERNET. I serious doubt that Internet forums represent a true cross-section of the HAM community. Why are they wasting time on the Internet arguing instead of making QSOs on the radio? What the Internet forums led me to expect (bad) and what I have experience in real life (good) are not the same. Besides, HF contesting is only *one* aspect of the hobby. Don't people reailize that it just might be the competitive nature of contesting bringing out some fo the ugliness in otherwise decent people? This seems to be true in other aspects of life. How about those brawls that break out at soccer games? Don't let the few idiots who make jackasses out of themselves ruin the whole experience. Just let them know that they are jackasses and then move on to another band or another operating mode if you don't like it.

The internet is a wonderful way of sharing information that, in my opinion, will ultimately contribute positively to HAM radio and electronics. There will always be jackasses out there on any cross-section of humantity. As the equipment becomes more accessible to poeple, there will be more jackasses on the air. But, that also allows more poeple who truely love radio to get on the air too, and its up to us to ENCOURAGE them. If we discourage them with doom and futility, then are we not much better than the jackasses?

Dan

12. N7DMA

N7DMA Ham Member QRZ Page

Aaron:

My beginnings in ham radio were similar to yours. I started to develop an interest in ham radio when I was about 12 years old, but it took me until I was 16 before I got up the courage to get my ticket. That was in 1975, and yes, things were different then.

Over the years, I haven't always been active, but lately I've upgraded the old equipment, and have been spending more time on the air. Each time I have a renewed interest in hamming, I notice that things seem a little more hostile than the last time. But I never let it get me down. I still enjoy the contacts I make, regardless of the mode, or band. I follow the old rules: be carefull what you discuss, because someone may take offence. Hey, it's just a hobby.... it's supposed to be fun. Not a public forum on politics, or religion. Personal opinions on some subjects are expressly forbidden. If I run into someone with a different opinion than mine, I politely listen, and do with it as I see fit. Or I move on. We learn new ways of thinking by the opinions of others, but we don't have to sell ourselves out to them. Unfortunately, some people think their opinion is the only one that matters, and anyone who doesn't see things the same way is an idiot.

The lack of courtesy we see on the bands nowdays is just a reflection on society as a whole. We are a cross section of society, and those bad habit are likely to be on the sir, just as much as they are in the workplace, highways, and other public place. The world is full of insensitive dolts.

It's up to us, as individuals, to decide how those opinions affect us. The last thing I'm gonna do is let some crotchety old fart, or some know-it-all tell me how to enjoy myself, or what is best for me. I think I've earned the right to decide for myself what is good for me. I just live by the code that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.

Ham radio has been my favorite hobby for 27 of my 44 years, and I won't let anyone take that away from me. Don't get discougarged. There are a lot more good folks out there than bad ones. It's just that the worst our society has to offer has the biggest mouths. They'll be gone someday!

Keep the faith! It is a wonderful hobby.

Karl
    N7DMA

13. W6TH

W6TH Guest

Hello Aaron,
        Ham radio will be around for many years to come.  It has gone through many changes in the past years because this is what the hams of today want and consider it to be a hobby, which today it is a hobby. No need for any skill, just put your money on the radio shack bench or table and push a button or so and talk to your hearts content.  No skill wanted and no skill needed.  Plenty of action to pass the time of day: DX for one thing, contests of many types and styles for those that want this.  Others get their kicks out of qrm, filthy language, jamming, etc.  You do what you enjoy best and others will do what they enjoy doing the most. This is what ham radio is all about today.

One big rapid change I noticed in the ham, hobby of today is:  Complaints of this and that in reference to ham radio and this is what we never had many years ago. Just go along as you would and you yourself must set the example of a upright standing ham radio operator and not worry about others and what they do.

Yes you set the example.

73 de W6th

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Aaron;

Being new to the "hobby" myself, I must say that I have found my experiences personally rewarding. I have made maybe a little more than a dozen or so contacts, thus far. The first one was on 10 meters (being a tech w/Morse Code, I can work between 28300 and 28500MHz) and it was a gentleman in Hong Kong! Boy, what a feeling! Magically, I'm talking to someone who's half-way around the world! What a great way to be 'broken in'! Two days later on 10 meters, I met 3 or 4 gentlemen from Texas. They were not happy because they had made earlier contacts with a few people who were not licensed or were using silent-key call signs (operators who have passed on...). When I broke in, they were kind enough to open the door. When I confirmed my call sign with them, they began to grill me for my license information. Ok, no problem. I'm properly licensed so I have nothing to worry about. They asked me what kind of radio and microphone I was using. I informed them that I was using a RCI 2950 with a 180 watt amp and an Astatic Night Eagle microphone. That did it... They broke into song and dance about how I shouldn't be using what I'm using. That they were tired of talking to people who don't know what they are doing. Boy, what a contact... I've yet to go back to 10 meters since. I don't blame them for feeling the way they did. But they had no right to make me feel that way. I work hard for the things I have and they have no right to belittle me.

My point is much the same as most of the posts here... What you put into it is what you'll get out of it. Don't let what others say determine your interests! Love HAM! I do! You will always meet people you can't get along with - no matter how hard you try. Under those circumstances, there isn't much that can be done. Such is life! I'm going for my General class next month. I'm not going to allow anyone to keep me off the HF bands any longer. No matter how insecure they are about newbies! Push forward! It's your life and your love of radio that will determine the outcome for all future HAM's!

Thank you for taking the time to read my post! (KC2KFW)

15. AG4PM

AG4PM QRZ Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The lack of courtesy we see on the bands nowdays is just a reflection on society as a whole. We are a cross section of society, and those bad habit are likely to be on the sir, just as much as they are in the workplace, highways, and other public place. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

And as long as we continue to condone boorish behavior in this way, nothing will change.  It is far too easy to excuse the behavior prevalent on ham radio this way and this is becoming the big lie of ham radio- that we are merely a 'cross-section' of society as a whole and our discussions will invariably contain 'some' malcontents.  While this comment sounds very learned and seems to preclude disagreement, it is false.  Ham radio discussion contains an inordinate amount of personal attacks, rude behavior and anger.

A good long look around show that few hobbies have as many rude, obnoxious people as ham radio.  It is time to face the facts- a *significant* portion of amateur radio operators are maladjusted.  

The discussions of hams on the Internet provides a window to the soul of Amateur Radio and cannot easily be dismissed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.