ad: elecraft

Ham Talk Live! Episode 229 - Numbers Stations

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Sep 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe somebody is calling out arrived pigeon numbers? :D

K0UO likes this.
  2. KC3PBI

KC3PBI Ham Member QRZ Page

I was hoping it was the following day's lottery numbers. It cost me a buck to find out it wasn't that. ;)

VK5FUSE, K0UO and PA0MHS like this.
  3. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Very odd. During the height of the CB craze in the '70s I recall hearing about one city where someone who had "special" issues was apparently given a radio just to keep him busy. He would be chattering on it constantly tying up the frequency and as far as I know was never located. Perhaps it is something like that here, perhaps not. Tune across the whole radio spectrum and all sorts of strange sounds pop up; hobbyists are able to ID some of them, but others nobody ever figures out.

K0UO likes this.
  4. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

A very interesting conversation, and the website mentioned, https://www.numbers-stations.com/ definitely has a lot of information. If anyone runs across the 1983 book Big Secrets it has a good discussion on what was known at the time about this topic as well as other odd signals. The book is a fun read too, such as a long chapter on what is likely to be in Coca-Cola.

K0UO likes this.
  5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

While its debatable whether it qualifies as a true clandestine "numbers station", the last couple of nights the well known Israeli Navy transmitter callsign 4XZ, allegedly in Haifa, has been loud and clear here in FL on 6607 kHz.

The ITU Morse code transmission of various types of message at times include Q-codes (QTC) and what appear to be standard abbreviatons. Five character code groups are a mainstay too.

Here is a sample clip taken between ID's at about 0325Z Oct 2 2020.

On a different note, I've begun wondering about all those SSTV images being broadcast by RS0ISS. Perhaps not only tributes to Cosmonauts, are they also a cover vehicle for sending agents clandestine messages via steganography? :)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    WB9VPG likes this.
  6. VK5FUSE

VK5FUSE Ham Member QRZ Page

Great Topic & Posts
    The first known use of numbers stations was during World War I, with the numbers transmitted in Morse code.

kC3PBI - following day's lottery numbers
    - I WISH -

WOULDN'T THAT BE GREAT .
    Hi Hi.

7. KX4QC

KX4QC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"The Lincolnshire Poacher", anyone?

8. KC1CCG

KC1CCG Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was in the Navy we called these "Number" stations, "RI", for "Russian Elicits". Some no doubt were Russian but not all. Of course these broadcasts went out to spies. Still a pretty good system for activating a "sleeper" hidden anywhere. Hey, you old timers remember the "Sky King" broadcasts out of Omaha Nebraska? Surprised we are all still around considering the hair triggers on those systems. Trivia question....what is POE in this context?

VK5FUSE likes this.
  9. KB6QXM

KB6QXM Ham Member QRZ Page

The Cold War was an interesting time. That was the peak of the "numbers" stations and other shortwave transmission oddities. Now, not so much!

VK5FUSE likes this.
  10. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

"Elicits" or "Illicits"? (RI vs RE)

11. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

There is also spynumbers.com which has an IRC chat along
    with some schedules. It can be fun to track them.
    They are also a good indication of propagation.

--KD7YVV

VK5FUSE likes this.