ad: Radclub22-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 229 - Numbers Stations

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Sep 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Māris Goldmanis with the Numbers Stations Research and Information Center will join us Thursday night (9/24) at 9pm EDT from Latvia. NSRIC is a project that is dedicated to the research, monitoring, information gathering, and publishing about numbers stations and other shortwave radio phenomena. We’ll take your calls LIVE as we talking about these mysterious signals on HF.

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm EDT (Friday 0100Z) by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button!

If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand anytime also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, SoundCloud, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube. A replay is also broadcast on WTWW 5085 AM on Saturday nights at approximately 3:30 pm Eastern.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 859-982-7373 live during the call-in segment of the show. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

EioCGWXWAAEof9o.jpg EioCisZXgAMHvnZ.jpg

K0UO, K5MPH, KX1MAD and 8 others like this.
  2. A25SL

A25SL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank your for this Topic. Next to DXing for a hobby, I have great interest in the number stations of yesterday. I always listen to vids, voice rec ext ext and read the re search about these phenomenal particulars. Its not the most common known subject, and it was never meant to be like that either! It was , is , the only effective fool proof way of communication - till this day and era. The inventors surely not hobbyist back in the days. I n fact.. They developed one of the most powerful weaponry in war zone, "communication, I will halt here...knowingly there are very much more detailed information, that we as hobbyist might never know or find out how ? who ? where. Its a really "hot seat...this one ! Lovit ! GB 73 leon

K0UO and WB9VPG like this.
  3. K4FMH

K4FMH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great show, Neil!

4. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

I will watch your show this weekend ! I have logged hundreds of numbers stations over the years but have not heard any for a long time ! the first I headr was back in 1989 & the last was in 2004 I guess the spy guys went Digi ! most were in Spanish & English ! but many more were CW There were great stories in Pop Com & Monitoring Times Mags I miss those ! well Attention 52732-78645- 97900- try to de-code that Hi Hi 73' Phil..

K0UO likes this.
  5. W9RAC

W9RAC Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a very interesting subject to me. With all due respect I was unable to continue not being able to understand what the Gent was saying most of the time. I do have a bit of hearing loss and with his speech I finally gave up. I wish a transcript could be made available. 73 Rich

KR3DX likes this.
  6. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

This is another good reason to post these presentations in text.

K9BPS likes this.
  7. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Watch it on Youtube and touch the CC button and that will turn on closed captioning.

TI2ALF, K0UO, K5MPH and 1 other person like this.
  8. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't get the thrill of copy/track/etc. numbers stations. And I was one (Army 05D).

9. KC9TNH

KC9TNH Ham Member QRZ Page

As a FOG 05B that's one of the funniest things I've read this week. Way back in the halcyon days of West Berlin, standing CQ at a location just across the Teltow Canal from E. Germany, we were required to copy these things if they popped up. Were in the shadow of a station & they were booming. I wanted to catch up on some sleep because, like, "What! There's nobody up on Feldberg (ASA) that's going to record these silly things?"

AA8GK and K2NCC like this.
  10. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

One full minute of a number station, beit a real recording or a fabricated one (it does include static), can be heard at the end of the song "Even Less" from Porcupine Tree.

K2NCC likes this.
  11. M0KIL

M0KIL Ham Member QRZ Page

K0UO likes this.
  12. N3RW

N3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I was stationed at TUSLOG Det 4 Sinop Turkey with the ASA.
    Lost of 'numbers' station heard from the USSR.
    Always boring! Can't get excited about them as the text has no meaning unless you have the 'key'!

K0UO and K2NCC like this.
  13. AA8GK

AA8GK Ham Member QRZ Page

ASA ALL THE WAY!!!!!

K0UO and K2NCC like this.
  14. M1KE

M1KE Ham Member QRZ Page

Some accent.....

K0UO likes this.
  15. KC3PBI

KC3PBI Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if I'm ready to call it a numbers station, but for months I've been hearing somebody calling on a local 2M repeater, never any station ID. She just says "Numbers n n n n n n" (usually six 1- or 2-digit numbers) and then she's silent for a few weeks.

K0UO likes this.