ad: elecraft

Ham Talk Live! Episode 206 - Support Your Parks POTA Event

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Apr 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NT7R

NT7R Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice. SOTA and POTA got me interested in learning cw and running portable qrp. Will have to listen after my cw academy meeting.

2. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

With what you have in place I think July will be optimistic then.

3. WR7AY

WR7AY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"BOTH" might be the normal for Filed Day 2020. Our club is already planning ahead for this possibility.

N4FZ and K0UO like this.
  4. N5HXR

N5HXR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Louisiana is another state where state parks are open. All facilities, camping spots, playgrounds, etc are closed. But hiking trails and open spaces are still there.

We're take our kids for hikes. We're seeing maybe 1-2 other families hiking in a three hour jaunt. It's easy to keep your distance.

Our kitchen sink broke (spraying water under the cabinet!), and home depot was packed. It's safer to go to a park than an "essential" store.

N4FZ and 2E0TWD like this.
  5. N8TUW

N8TUW Ham Member QRZ Page

Love working P.O.T.A. as an activator and chaser.
    And if the park is OPEN you can activate.

N4FZ likes this.
  6. AD7J

AD7J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

National and state parks closed in Nevada

7. NX1Q

NX1Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

State Parks here in Georgia are still open. Looking forward to activating soon.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The POTA event is in JULY guys.

'July' is not a month cancelled on your calendar...

You pulled March; April; first two, or three weeks of May...

But July is happenin'...

9. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

No chance

N0KEW likes this.
  10. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay, I planned to stay out of this, but can not. For CORRECT information of the Corona virus statistics, all one needs to do is check out the CDC website. For instance: It has come to light, common pneumonia deaths have been incorrectly added to the Covid death toll. And IF you want to make your head spin, check out the current stats for the common influenza. If you suffer from chronic cabin fever, look into patient violence against Emergency Room nurses.

That being said, now is NOT yet the time to go out and party. Continue to shelter in place. It would seem we have, or are nearly past the peak. The next twenty, to thirty days, should provide more definitive information. For now, consider laying in supplies for July 4th. Beef is as cheap as it has been in decades, at least from the producer viewpoint. Grilling beef with friends, and family, while celebrating our nations independence...............Yep, it's gonna happen!

fine print disclaimer: Yes, I do make a living in the cattle industry. No, I do not personally profit from the sale of beef.

N4FZ and N2AM like this.
  11. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Alabama is not locked down and state parks are open. Social distancing is in effect but by and large the state is business as usual with some exceptions. I went to a state park that is local to me last weekend and enjoyed a walk and got on the air from my truck. As for the POTA organization all members are advised to participate in accordance with state/local laws and regulations.

N4FZ likes this.
  12. K6JPM

K6JPM Ham Member QRZ Page

San Bernardino County, California, has closed the parks to the public and brought in trailers for housing for the Homeless.

2E0TWD likes this.
  13. KG5RJR

KG5RJR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

K5LRK Supporting Texas State Parks on the Air. https://www.tspota.org/
    April 18-19, 2020
    Go to the Website to get the FULL Details!!

K0UO likes this.
  14. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

All the Texas beaches are closed so you won't be operating from there